GTX45 vs S480-87mm turbine

CurtisEmery

I was wondering how a the 12 bladed gtx45 turbine wheel compares flow wise to the 87mm 10 blade turbine wheel. I am looking at the 1.28 housing on the gtx. My old set up was an 87mm turbine S480 clipped to 2.8" with a 1.0 a/r housing. Any info on the performance differances would be great! Thanks-Curtis

I was wondering how a the 12 bladed gtx45 turbine wheel compares flow wise to the 87mm 10 blade turbine wheel. I am looking at the 1.28 housing on the gtx. My old set up was an 87mm turbine S480 clipped to 2.8" with a 1.0 a/r housing. Any info on the performance differances would be great! Thanks-Curtis

The GTX45 turbine wheel flows a little more then the S400 based turbine, also spools better. Also their is an 11 blade version of the GT45 turbine wheel and also non-BB. ;)

How does the 11 blade wheel compare to the standard 12 blade wheel? I assume it flows better with less blades correct? Are the garrett exhaust housings comparible a/r to a/r with the borgwarner stuff? Would the Garrett 1.28 flow more than the 1.0 Borgwarner I was running last season? Thanks for your help Jose!

Last edited:
How does the 11 blade wheel compare to the standard 12 blade wheel? I assume it flows better with less blades correct? Are the garrett exhaust housings comparible a/r to a/r with the borgwarner stuff? Would the Garrett 1.28 flow more than the 1.0 Borgwarner I was running last season? Thanks for your help Jose!

The 11 blade actually flows about the same....maybe 1 lbs/min more, but I can't tell from the data we have. As for equivalent, the Garrett and BW both share the same A/R's and will be very close with the edge going to the Garrett. Right now one of the baddest street chargers we just tested was the GT45-71 Billet non-BB with a T4 1.10A/R housing on a duramax.....God almighty was it fast...lol. Spooled ALOT faster then the BW counter part....but the price is a little more by a smidge. The unit runs 1650+sh

Thanks Jose I think I will be going Garrett gtx45 for next season based on this info. Thanks again for your time!

You will love the GTX unit indeed. We have them on the shelf.

The 11 blade actually flows about the same....maybe 1 lbs/min more, but I can't tell from the data we have. As for equivalent, the Garrett and BW both share the same A/R's and will be very close with the edge going to the Garrett. Right now one of the baddest street chargers we just tested was the GT45-71 Billet non-BB with a T4 1.10A/R housing on a duramax.....God almighty was it fast...lol. Spooled ALOT faster then the BW counter part....but the price is a little more by a smidge. The unit runs 1650+sh

so there is a GT45 out there that is non-BB? if so what kind of billet compressor options are there?

so there is a GT45 out there that is non-BB? if so what kind of billet compressor options are there?

Yes their is.....as for billet wheel upgrades....unfortunately not at this time. We build them as large as 76mm versions. That is the biggest we offer them at this time.

Jose have you heard of any issues with the gtx45's having issues with overspeeding and the comp wheels touching the covers? I've heard of a couple of instances where this has happened.

Jose have you heard of any issues with the gtx45's having issues with overspeeding and the comp wheels touching the covers? I've heard of a couple of instances where this has happened.

We have not heard anything by way of Garrett on it. We have quite a few guys running them and are not having any issues that we know of.

Good to hear! The one I know of wasn't using the water lines. Would that have an effect on a sled pulling truck. Also is a .040" oil restricter good for that turbo?

Good to hear! The one I know of wasn't using the water lines. Would that have an effect on a sled pulling truck. Also is a .040" oil restricter good for that turbo?

The problem lies in the restrictor. NEVER run a restrictor with a DBB garrett as they already have one in the oil inlet. He basically starved that turbo then.

Ok that's good to know because I was about to start mine with the pte .040" restrictor/ an 4 adapter. Thanks a lot you just saved me a ton of money!!!

Back