Highway and towing tires

madmikeismad

So mad
Proxeys have treated me very well and tow excellent, but their fuel mileage, wet traction and dirt/wet grass traction are understandably lacking, very lacking. Since the truck does more hauling than dd work lately, I'm looking for a better 33" tire. Is there anything out there that's 305/55r20 or close and is more towing/highway/truck oriented?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

BFG makes the AT and KM2s in that size.

Goodyear Duratracs are also available.

Nitro has the Durra and Terra grappler too.

Toyo has AT2's.

They all seem to be E rated at 3195lbs @ 65 psi.

My buddy who owns a Hot Shot company swears by Goodyear Duratracs. He runs probably 80% highway 20% dirt.

I really like the Michelin ltx at2's i have in my work truck.
It has done 45k miles in the last year, they have been rotated once and have at least 75 percent tread life left, and i have yet to get stuck in the oilfield out here.
Only problem i see is the biggest they get is 285/55/20.. Roughly 32.4"tall...
They do make taller, but narrower

BFG's A/T have great traction on wet pavement and last 70-80k, but they don't clean out very well until you come off a jobsite, then they sling dirt for a half mile down the road.
Duratracs are ok.
Nitto terra grappler has good traction, no road noise, they just don't last very long.
We haven't tried toyo yet but have heard good things from other contractors
Michelin is always best if they have a tire that fits your need.
We currently have one truck with BFG, one with Durratrac, one with Kumho, average gross wt 22000#(truck trailer and equipment) These are all A/T tires.
Hope this helps

I really like the Michelin ltx at2's i have in my work truck.
It has done 45k miles in the last year, they have been rotated once and have at least 75 percent tread life left, and i have yet to get stuck in the oilfield out here.
Only problem i see is the biggest they get is 285/55/20.. Roughly 32.4"tall...
They do make taller, but narrower

That height is perfect, but the width I don't know about. My wheels are 9.5 wide. I'm liking that life though. How heavy do you pull on average with your work truck?

I've run nittos before, didn't like how they wore even empty.

So I think I'll go with duratracs or bfg, whichever has a size for me.

Last edited:
I forgot, I have generals on my Daughters dually with about 60k on them and they still look good. I thought you were looking for an A/T tire. I would go with the General or Michelins. Nittos handle well but wont last half as long as the other two.

Yeah, generals then the michelins are top of the list right now. I know nittos wear quick but they are a nice tire. Now I gotta go burn up these toyo's so I can justify getting new tires LOL

I had a new general with 5k miles on it blow out.i have had generals and firestones bubble and seperate belts. I have never had an issue with Michelins or bfg rugged terrains.

Nitto Dura Grapplers. I love mine. They're quiet and ride smooth. They also do fine getting in and out of peanut fields.

Sent from my paperweight

Check out the Hankook DynaPro RF10. I had the on my truck in a 35 and they wore absolutely awesome. The only reason I'm not getting them for my 20s is because I've got other things to pay for. I found them relatively cheap online.

Hankook RF10 - $1,163.05 = onlinetires.com

Edit here is the Dura Grappler. Pardon the mounting and balancing cost. I was doing some research a few weeks ago and I just dug up my email that I sent myself for reference later...

Dura Grappler – $1191.48 Shipped = 220 for mounting and balancing Tirebuyer.com
$1,267.29 Shipped from Onlinetires.com

Edit again... Those are all 305/55r20

Last edited:
I found the grapplers for 950ish on ebay. The hankooks I'll look into.

I would run 35's but with the truck being lowered all the way, 33's are as tall as I feel safe. I'm thinking of trying the 34x11's because they have a much higher load rating, and hopefully being skinnier I can get away with a little more height.

Check out the Hankook DynaPro RF10. I had the on my truck in a 35 and they wore absolutely awesome. The only reason I'm not getting them for my 20s is because I've got other things to pay for. I found them relatively cheap online.

Hankook RF10 - $1,163.05 = onlinetires.com

Edit here is the Dura Grappler. Pardon the mounting and balancing cost. I was doing some research a few weeks ago and I just dug up my email that I sent myself for reference later...

Dura Grappler – $1191.48 Shipped = 220 for mounting and balancing Tirebuyer.com
$1,267.29 Shipped from Onlinetires.com

Edit again... Those are all 305/55r20

Dave clear your inbox.

305/55 Toyo AT2's here... Love Them. They ride excellent, seem to be wearing well. and are decently light.