It took 50K but I finally hurt the Passat

TooMuchBoost

Comp Diesel Sponsor
It wasn't from running race injectors and smoking like a freight train w/o a pyro or maxing out the map on the Mickey Mouse GT17V oem turbo but something totally stupid of my own doing.

I've had the upper intercooler hose off lately to plan for big intercooler install. I didn't seat the hose properly the last time so it blew off under load. Now I have a MAF Irregular Reading and Low Boost issue to contend with. Up the pipe where the hose blew off is the MAF and I have a feeling the disturbance in pressure screwed its reading capabilities up.

Right now the car barely can keep the smoke cleaned up and if I lay into it smokes like a freight train so I've been pimping a 96 Explorer since Thursday night until I can look at it this afternoon. I miss the car already since I spent $30 to make a 170 mile RT across ATL yesterday. I had forgot what PP fuel economy was like.

Bummer!
I hope all goes well with the fix

It would be funny to see your car smoking out a few lanes of traffic though LOL

nummit said:
Bummer!
I hope all goes well with the fix

It would be funny to see your car smoking out a few lanes of traffic though LOL

It could smoke out 3 lanes of interstate at any speed before ask Tim or whoever else I've given a 100mph ride! Now it looks like a Pro Street Diesel truck at the staging lanes under a slight load.

I'm waiting on a volt meter to be delivered (since I'm stranded at home this weekend) and a child-proof hex set to test, pull and clean the MAF then I'll test the MAP.

Hopefully its a dirty or bad MAF so beer-30 can begin.:bigsmile: I called Friday and list on a MAF is $320+ and shop cost is $240 so hopefully its dirty rather than broken.:huh::

Always something around here...

Last edited:
It's always the little things that bite ya in the ass.
Good luck on an easy fix Andy.

Hope it's just dirty Andy, that is one expensive little dohickey LOL LOL

TooMuchBoost said:
I called Friday and list on a MAF is $320+ and shop cost is $240 so hopefully its dirty rather than broken.

Does RocketChip make a calibration to eliminate the MAF on the PD TDI's? I know you can get rid of the MAF on an 'ALH' VP-37 TDI...

Matt

Andy grew tiresome of blazing the trail for Passat TDI owners everywhere LOL

Some VW dealer bought it sight unseen from a Ford dealer whom I traded it to.

Then they popped the hood and saw an unforeseen nightmare between the FMIC intercooler, fuel cooler and added plumbing everywhere...LOL

If the Passat was anything it was a sleeper.

Back