Lack of RP and getting hot quick.

Chris Mallett

12ver Swap Idiot
Well, I am getting about bored with seeing the pyro beyond 1500* just to pass someone on the two lane. I have been running SSR for quite a while and finally ditched the stock turbo for a 66/73/.91 T4 with an ATS T4 manifold. Running a set of flux 2's and a helix 2 cam, sportsman springs and a fluidampnr. The only things on the intake side is a 2nd gen horn and one of the so-called "tunnel rams". Running a Bag O Parts on the CP3. Now that you have a run down of mods, here is my list of issues.

Lack of RP. Can see 19.5-21k quickly but rarely can see over 22k. Every once in a while the truck throws a P0069 and then rail goes into a 25-26K topping out but the rail hangs very dangerously, often beyond 5 seconds of pulling over brake effort.

Second the EGT's are crazy. On a pull from 50-85 in drive, spool is quick, 45psi tops on boost, but EGT's climb to 1600+. This is approx. 4 seconds of WOT. I do not think this is right on temps.

Current SSR settings are as follows. Timing, Rail, Duration.

Low, 26/35/22
High, 30/45/30

Anyone have any input? I am thinking the reason for the p0069 and higher rail MAY be a bad/weak sensor and not thinking rail sensor. Maybe IAT or MAP is weak, it only reads 37.6 psi on my CTS. I thought stock MAP would read 40-42psi? I know that may not be relevant, but not impossible. Any help is appreciated.

The BOP may be partially to blame for the RP problem

I would start with the IAT, it seems like your map sensor is working pretty well. Are you running a boost fooler? I always thought it was 38 psi on the stock MAP sensor. Im not sure and its been a while since I messed with the SSR, but that duration number seems kind of high compared to what I was running, especially on the top side. (with ssr I was running DDP200s, a 66/71/14/T3, and it was strong and clean.) If I remember correctly, the later softwares were more aggressive than the earlier ones, and guys were having to step down a bit. Did you do anything to make this happen or did it just happen all of a sudden?

Also, when you put on your bag of parts did it have a new FCA? If so swap it out with your old one, assuming its still working, and see if that helps. Id actually try this first...

The BOP FCA caused some problems and currently running a Wicked FCA. No boost fooler. Stock or Wicked FCA shows no difference.

Oh and when it hits WOT and boost is around 45, NO haze. clean as a whistle.

I went from an Arson III kit to an II 85% and made quite a difference.. I think my pump was weak to begin with before I put the Arson kit on, so you might save your pennies for a new pump.

I cant remember if the SSR even needs a boost fooler to work right. I was just wondering if that may be the issue. If you have one plug it in and see what it does... cant hurt anything right?

No need for a boost fooler with ssr. What version are you running? The early versions (1.1-1.3) have very mild ramps on pressure. 1.4 and 1.5 are way more aggressive and will cause rail hang alot easier. And like mentioned earlier, try bringing the hld down some.

Will try bringing down the duration. Running 1.5, and did not have rail hang until I put this charger on. Strange to me. Have a strange popping if running with OD locked out, just at very light pedal. Once I step into it it spools and pulls. Rail still will not exceed 21k. Cruises at 18.5-19.5 but once I step into it the rail does NOT dip but will not increase beyond 21k no matter how hard I push it without a care of the pyro.

Ok, the rail was cured by changing the temp sensor on the airbox believe it or not. I changed the MAP and no change, swapped out the IAT at the airbox and viola, 25.5k during a pull. Now I have a different issue. If I am at 2k or more RPM's and light pedal I can feel a hiccup or a miss of sorts. If I was to mash the throttle it will miss for about half a second to 2 seconds, blue and white smoke, then correct itself, a little black smoke, spool and go. I have been from llt 05 up to 26 on the SSR and no change. Also it seems like it is trying to miss at a cold start but corrects itself once warm. Thoughts?

Back