legal weight

F-350

the trucks g.v.w.r is 9,900 and the trailers is 14,000 what can i legally haul?

Lots of room there...... Commercial or pvt? Tires, hitch, weight of truck, weight of trailer.

Whats the GCVWR?
Thats Gross Combination Vehicle Weight Rating.
Meaning combined weight of both vehicles,this is where you are supposed to stay within.
However if you get the truck plated for more ## and get the truck re-certified along with better tires and springs etc,then you can legally haul more..

I thought as long as he was under 26K total truck and trailer he was legal?

F-350 said:
it all depends on what the truck is tagged / licensed for, if the truck is tagged for 9k then that's it. mine is tagged for 26k but I run up wards of 34+k on occasions.

wideopen said:
I thought as long as he was under 26K total truck and trailer he was legal?

Nope, if the GCWR is over 26,000 lbs, you need a "Class A" license even to drive it empty!

There are exceptions for farm/ranch activites with farm plates in certain ranges from the domicile depending on each state.

F-350 said:

You can legally haul 23,900 lbs if it's not a commercial venture.
If it is commercial, most states you need a CDL for any GVWR (single truck) or GCWR (combination vehicle) over 10,000 lbs.

Of course that 23,900 needs to be distributed so as not to overload any axle, which again, depends on the state you're in.

low 9 109 said:
it all depends on what the truck is tagged / licensed for, if the truck is tagged for 9k then that's it. mine is tagged for 26k but I run up wards of 34+k on occasions.

And yet again, that depends on the state. Most of the neighboring states including my own do not use that system for "light trucks". Based on GVWR / GCWR only.

GREGROB said:
Nope, if the GCWR is over 26,000 lbs, you need a "Class A" license even to drive it empty!

There are exceptions for farm/ranch activites with farm plates in certain ranges from the domicile depending on each state.
you did state that it varies depending on location but class a is commercial reg. only in md. if it is titled for personal use no class a lic. is even available regardless of weight.

Not true anything in MD tagged over 26k requires a CDL A liscense. The is a non-commercial A liscense for private use, its the same just cheaper to renew.

I ran into this problem hauling my pulling tractors last year. The laws are very vauge your best bet is to stop in the scale and talk with the state man.

02 dodge4x4 5.9 said:
take it from me {know } your local an state laws
or you gonna pay the piper

Dont forget fed regs too. We have gotten homeland security ( White Impalas ) checks as of late comming out of port Elizabeth in NewJersey .

IF the gvrw is 9900 then the front and rear axles of the truck+ pin weight of the trailer (basically wahtever the truck weighs w/the trailer on it, is waht you can weigh. 9900 sounds like a 1 ton srw , should handle it ok

I don't know what state you are in, but most states make you tag the truck for your GCW. With 9900lb truck and a 14000lb trailer you would need to be tagged for 23900lbs to haul at your max GCWR.

F-350 said:

F-350=5200lb front, 6830lb rear, and add 2 7000lb trailer axles=26,030. That is the amount of weight you can haul minus the weight of the truck and trailer. The GCVWR is calculated by the axle weight rating of all the axles.

Depends on the year as well. My truck says GVW is 9900. The GCVW is 20,000. Over that you take things in your own hands. That means if you get into an accident then you are at fault, period...

We all know that if the front axle is rated for 5200lbs and the rear is rated at 5580lbs then the truck is designed to haul over 9900lbs. But the only thing that matters is the GVW that is posted on the door tag.

Look at look at this link for some info regarding tow ratings and GCVW's of vehicles: http://www.trailerlife.com/output.cfm?id=42175

strokin_early99 said:
Depends on the year as well. My truck says GVW is 9900. The GCVW is 20,000. Over that you take things in your own hands. That means if you get into an accident then you are at fault, period...

We all know that if the front axle is rated for 5200lbs and the rear is rated at 5580lbs then the truck is designed to haul over 9900lbs. But the only thing that matters is the GVW that is posted on the door tag.

Look at look at this link for some info regarding tow ratings and GCVW's of vehicles: http://www.trailerlife.com/output.cfm?id=42175
I was told this by the Montana D.O.T. They can only base weight ratings on axle ratings. That is why I am ALLOWED to gross 33,500 lbs with my F-550. (as long as tire weight ratings are within limits) If I had a triple axle trailer my gross would be 40,500 lbs and this would be allowed as well. FMC has their max GVW's, but the DOT is only looking at axle ratings.

Maybe in Montana, try that crap on the east coast and you'll be hand-unloading your trailer out back of the scalehouse...

oldschoolPSD said:
Maybe in Montana, try that crap on the east coast and you'll be hand-unloading your trailer out back of the scalehouse...

Montana follows FEDERAL laws. Yes there are some differences state to state, but for the most part it deals with length of trailers and combo vehicles, not axle weight ratings.

trailer length, combined length, Axle weight and combined weight is what matters.

For example; California allows 80K gross. Any axle less than 10' apart can only be 34.5k. Run a 10'2" split axle and you can have a true 40k on the trailer. If the individual axle rating is more than that it does not matter.

Now, back to pickups. TheGVW posted on you door tag is the max your truck can weigh, legally...Period

Back