Lexan and Tinting

BigBadDodge

Is it possible to tint lexan? I hear that it off gasses and causes bubbles is this true? anybody ever try it?

BBD

Copied from a Tint web forum.

it outgases...meaning, releases a gas, causing bubbling. then removal of the bubbled film can destroy the appearance of the lexan.

We tinted Aircraft side glasses all the time, but they are plexiglass, not lexan.

Why now just Paint it? RC Car bodys are made of Lexan and they get painted every day. Just paint the inside and you have a smooth surface when your done. Some guys are real good at this and can make some cool looking stuff.

I am talking about the windows, and would like to see out of them :)

Scott will do,

I wonder if some static stuff stuck on the inside might work, or maybe a spray. I am not doing it for astetics alone but damn that lexan is like a maginifying glass. It was 76 degrees here today must have been 106 in the cab of the truck :(

BBD

Use the RC spray tint for lexan bodies. That's what I used for my 3rd brake light and it's held up fine.

brandon.

That will work Scott. Just think you could paint the back windows with some cool design too.

We have a tinted rear lexan widow in our race truck.I belive it was purchased this way cause we had a choice either clear or tinted when we had the cage installed.

Attachments

• 100_2230 (Medium).JPG
    100_2230 (Medium).JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 54
Yep. I think I even used that brand. I got it from Hobby Lobby, I think. It will take a bunch to do a whole window. I'd guess 3 cans for a rear window?

brandon.

You can get the same thing at any local Hobby Store in bottles then spray it with a airbrush or gun.

Okay the Dot Matrix tint works as advertised, and it dropped the cab temps substantially, prolly even more when I get the rear window done.

The stuff comes folded in a small box though and its a pita to get the folds out. I had to lay it ouside on a 80 degree day to get them out but all in all I am happy with it. And you can peel it off at any time its static that holds in place and surprisingly really good.

Right_off_the_track.jpg

BBD

Stained glass window paint would have worked. People use this stuff to paint their bike's windsheild. Me and my bro have colored a few sets of tail lights with the stuff. Available at wally world.
windshield_tint.jpg

windshield_tint_cans.jpg

I know this is a late response, but maybe it'll help someone's project in the future.

i have put graphics (full sheets of vinyl) on lexan many of times and it was fine i am sure tint would be fine also....i have just never tried it

Scott

How bout for tinting tail lights? I wouldn't mind if my tail lights were a darker tint than they are now.

Back