LLY must do upgrades?

Mr.T

DPF's are gay
So now that I'm the official owner of an 04.5 LLY, what are the must-do upgrades? I know about the intake and turbo mouthpiece and I intend to address those items, I plan to do the sinister EGR delete after Christmas but install a blocker plate until then. I've ordered wheels and tires for it so far. My plan is this

Exhaust and intake upgrade including downpipe
Edge insight CTS
EGR delete and EFI live autocal from idahorob
Nicktane adapter with cat filter
And an upgraded trans color

Sound like a recipe for a solid DD and tow rig? Any other upgrades you guys would suggest?

Sounds like you got a good idea, just lbz mouthpiece, either factory air intake or a good cold air intake that is actually a cold air intake.
down pipe to help with egts and a bigger exhaust.

im planning on getting a down pipe soon as ive been battling high coolant temps while towing my 42' toyhauler

It sounds like keeping temps under control is the biggest problem with the LLY, but its a simple problem to address and relatively cheap too.

As far as the wheel/tire combo, we went with ultra phantoms in a chrome 18x9 with 275/70-18 cooper discoverer STT's
dy4uda2a.jpg

PCV... other than that, you have it covered.

I'm in Vegas and we see 110*+ during the summer months quite often. Even dragging an 8000 lb boat from here to AZ, my 05 never got hot. Only time I saw the ECT break 210* was after I blew both headgaskets...... then it would touch 235* if I was pushing it.

With what you are gonna do, it should be a fun reliable daily driver

congrats btw

I forgot about the PCV! that's definitely a must do

I guess I can post some pics
evetuded.jpg

u2a5ada7.jpg

amudunaj.jpg

The shell and the carpet kit are coming off lol
najynaqe.jpg

So I have a dilemma, I loved the look and sound of the 5" exhaust that was on my LB7, do any of you guys have a 5" on an LLY? how's the sound? Any drone? My LB7 would drone at about 70 and it got kinda annoying, but I loved how it sounded.

They all drone around 70. And with a straight pipe that truck will sound like a pissed off owl at WOT. I personally like the sound, plenty of other hate it. They say ditching the stock pancake downpipe fixes the noise though.

I had 5inch on my lly and I liked had a nice sound with the muffler still in place than it got load and some what annoying when I removed the muffler and put stacks in. If your doing the down pipe might as well just pull your one up pipe out and either get a new non egr one from an lb7 or cut the split off and cap it. My lly with racing and hauling white out once to Wyoming I never got over 200.

I'm running 5in on my LLY... its not bad at all inside. Although I have custom up-pipes and pedestal, but not sure that makes a difference... on the interstate I just turn up the radio enough to were I can't hear it at all...

The downpipe is definitely getting done, will the EGR codes defuel my engine if I delete it before i have it tuned? Or can I just ignore the light until I get the tuning done

Look up a finger stick mod. Allows you to run an egr delete with no tuning changes. Easy to do.

The only power stroke swap I would consider is swapping a powerstroke out so I didn't have to subject a perfectly good anchor to all that salt water. Haha

something id look into that may help the life of your trans is a shift kit, there cheap and easy upgrade to help hold a little more power.

^^ Not in a 5 speed Allison.

Nice truck T! We have identical trucks, except mine has captain chairs.

Thank ya sir, my wife is shocked that the mileage isn't as good as our LB7 and called me in a panic saying its only getting 15 in town haha. I said that's pretty damn good for an LLY and that it will get a little better when we tune it and start deleting emissions parts.

Back