Need help decidin on a turbo.

CumminNotRunnin

Internet Mechanic
I have a 99 dodge ram 2500 going to set it up for sled pulling with very minor road driving. I want to run a 66mm inducer so the first question which class would that put me in? 2.6 or 2.8 ? This is my conflict, i dont know which one to run though. HTT prostreet 66, Htt sledpuller 66, II SB 66, or any other that are in the same range that would make a good puller turbo with not alot of road miles to be seen anymore. This is my limiting factors an automatic transmission that has a pretty tight convertor. its usually trying to creep off the line at 12 or 1300 rpm. so i need a turbo that will spool quickly but still be strong over 3000rpm because i am planning on running the Redline box as well. Any input is much apprciated from people who used any of these turbos with the same factors involved. Thank You....:st:

A Pro Street or a Super Phatshaft would have the 71 and a silver bullet has what I thought was a 74. Looks like Smokem's got the precision instruments so I'll take his word for it.

Nice spring?

If you have a tight convertor you will have issues lighting a 71mm turbine section. It will be even more difficult lighting the silver bullet. Daily driver my first choice is a the 65mm turbine chargers, especially with a tight convertor. The first convertor I ran in my truck would flare to 1250 or so and I would have to build boost from there. This was great a the sledpuller 66, but the prostreet 66(71mm turbine) and the silver bullet(74mm turbine) had issues lighting. Once I loosened the convertor the issues went away.

We ran all three chargers a few years back on a 12V and a 24V. The 24V was a little better at spooling. Your 99 shouldn't have torque management, so that is a plus. I feel if you can get it lit the prostreet 66 would be a good choice between cost and performance.

The sledpuller 66 liked to run up to about 3700 or so. The prostreet seemed to be a little bit more and then the silver bullet a little more RPM yet. You need to take into account gearing and tire sizes. Sometimes a smaller housing will help you as you can grab the next gear. In my experience with 3.54 gears and 33 inch tires your gonna want every bit of 4000 rpm. If you have 4.10's run the smaller diameter tire(possibly a 265/75r16) you can and get the 65mm turbine. Hopefully that will get you into drive and keep you on the charger.

Last edited:
is there any other chargers i can run in the 2.6 class or what can i run for 2,8 class

I will suggest staying in the 2.6 with a 24V. Just can't seem to get the RPM and fuel for the 2.8. Plus the 2.8 looses some driveability.

Well im running 315/75/16 dick cepek mud countries. they are brand new and hook really well. I also have 3.54 gears in the difs so i run 4 lo 3rd gear and that turns them around pretty good. def had some good wheel speed but i dont know what it will have when i get it back together..... How do u loosen the convertor? is that just that stator ( zstroken) or a hole new convertor???

Also who is runnin lockers and what kind for front and back. I would still like the front to steer so i was thinking air lockers for the front and just regular posi lockers for the back? anything for the front that might be a little lower dollar and not mess with driveability?

I have seen many a D70 snap the pinion. So if your running the 315 tires before you buy a locker get a D80 in the back. Your probably not gonna be hitting 3rd gear with a larger turbo. You can with a small charger, but unless your blowing the tires off your not gonna run 3rd gear with 3.54 and 315. If you can get 4K the 315 and 3.54 won't be a bad combo. If you can get someone to cut your convertor apart you could get a new stator or modify the one you have possibly. If your want the prostreet 66 or silver bullet I would suggest a stock stall you could go a tighter, but unless your dealing with a diesel tranny shop familar with the charger then you maybe pulling it in and out a few times to get it right. It could even help you out on the track if it is a really tight track you can choose between locking the convertor or not. Kind of like an extra gear. If I start to snuff my charger at the end if I can unlock the convertor and stay on the charger. Goerend has a pretty decent convertor for the silverbullet/prostreet 66. PM me and I can give you my number and we can discuss this further if you want.

i had this same delima i called a couple shops and asked their recomendations and i called II and htt and talked to them both companies are very respectable neither of them when i called bashed the other they just told me their strong points
they had no problem helping me answer any questions i had either
i believe though with the stainless housing you can get from htt i thought the volutes were cut diff and were close to 1 inch and the cast housings were closer to 1\2 inch
but like i said if you call them they will answer any questions you have
zstroken is pretty familure with both turbos call him he is very knowledgeable
good luck

Lockers/ turbo/trany

I have a set of used ARB's for sale front and back

Last edited:
Back