Puller 12v combo Ideas

kino_fab

KTPA Tech Official
A friend of mine just bought a 97 12v ex-cab longbed to make into a puller. It will be pulling in the 2.5 class, and he is on a pretty tight budget. I know the basics on setting up the traction bars and wieght brackets and all the other nessesities to keep it from breaking all the time. Though I don't have alot of experience with 12v except what I read on here. So I am asking for Idea's for a decent 2.5 class puller.

here goes...........

Ok the tranny in the truck is junk, so I believe he is going to switch it to a 6spd.

On the engine I am thinking this......

PS 64/14 turbo or a HT 64/14. Truck already has an ats manifold

191 DV's

0 plate

.093 lines

DDP 90hp sticks

4K GSK

20* timing

60lb springs

Studs, orings, marine gasket or forget the o-rings and use a MLS gasket.

What do you guys think? Will it work, or should I start over?

I would think you don't need the larger lines. Go for the DDP4's, go with the oring setup, guys have been orvertorqing the stock headbolts with good luck. I would go ahead and buy the 5GSKs also.

Also, I wouldn't go to a NV5600 just for pulling...the NV4500 has been just as tough, and cheaper!

Chris

Yea I agree with Chris, stronger once you put in the big shaft and it weighs less too. Only advantage would be maybe a different gear spread.

Does an out of the box 64 hit 2.5 class perfectly or can you run a 65mm S400? If he doesn't want to be the baddest truck out there, it probably doesn't matter anyway, but when inches determine 1st and 2nd sometimes, every mm of compressor counts.

Is this truck going to remain street legal? Will it be driven regularly? Once that is answered, I think the "experienced" 12v pullers will be able to give better advice.

Yea but the 65mm titanium wheel is $$$$, PM me a price on the 465 TI and the exducer size?
Same size turbine wheel?

Those sticks might me a little small for the charger.

yes it will be a daily driver too. As long as he places in the top 3 at our local pulls he will be happy, though sometimes we have a mix of street and superstreet trucks in one class.

No lines, 66 charger, ddp 5's and 022 DV's with a 215pump and electric lift pump.

Sound like a good setup. I would go with the 5k kit as stated by zstroken. I as would bump your timming to at least 23 degrees if not to 26 degrees.

If you want to be really competitive I would get the 65mm S400 and either use the .9ar housing on it or get a .8ar housing machined to fit.

Back