Scrimp on the oem paint process and get an award!

TooMuchBoost

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Primers/sealers by design are porous in nature and love to suck up water, oils and dirt leading to coating failure which in turn will lead to corrosion. I wonder what happens when a hose bursts in the engine compartment spewing coolant or power steering fluid everywhere or when salty road slush is introduced to a pourous primer coating?

Only time will tell.....................

http://www.pcimag.com/CDA/Articles/Company_News/56b623a85fceb010VgnVCM100000f932a8c0____

PPG and GM Collaborate to Earn PACE Award

June 1, 2006

PITTSBURGH — PPG Industries has earned a fifth PACE Award in six years for its collaboration with General Motors on development of an environmentally friendly, color-specific powder primer. The primer is used on the 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt at the GM assembly plant in Lordstown, Ohio.
The award was accepted by Dennis Kovalsky, PPG vice president, automotive OEM coatings; Bo Andersson, GM vice president, global purchasing and supply chain; and James Haverland, GM director, paint and polymers engineering.

The color-specific powder primer has a high-gloss finish and is tinted to match a vehicle’s paint color. It provides a finished look for hard-to-paint areas such as inner surfaces of trunk and engine compartments, according to Rick Tansey, technical manager, PPG.

GM and PPG launched the joint-development effort five years ago to replace liquid-solvent primers with an environmentally friendly, cost-effective product. The annual PACE Award competition is sponsored by Automotive News magazine, Microsoft, SAP and the Transportation Research Center, Inc.

Tintable primer has been around for a long time....Powder primer makes me think of powder coating, but I can't see them baking every vehicle part with this stuff.

I'd like to see how it works

partsguy662 said:
Tintable primer has been around for a long time....Powder primer makes me think of powder coating, but I can't see them baking every vehicle part with this stuff.

I'd like to see how it works

You're correct and a simple resin change makes them glossy in appearance.

I want to see how long it lasts myself.

Back