Short beds and gooseneck hitches

cmann250

Rookie
So I've been named project manager for a gooseneck hitch install in a '97 Ford with a short bed.

Does anyone set the hitch back some in a short bed? I'm thinking that turning with stock trailers may be an issue if the hitch is directly over the axle like usual.

It's one of those things where we don't have livestock so we never tow a stock trailer, but we may one day. So if 99% of towing is with a normal necked trailer, do you set the hitch over the axle and just turn carefully with a stock trailer? Are ride quality and weight distribution significant enough to set it over the axle no matter what?

Thanks.

I installed a B&W gooseneck hitch in my 2011 chevy 2500hd with a short box and the hitch is about 6 inch's forward of the rear axle. I think that's pretty standard for a goose neck. You can always get an offset ball mount down the road if you have a need for it to be back farther.

image.jpg

I ran a standard B&W in my 6' bed dodge, never had a single problem, hauled heavy etc. I was always cautious about bed side clearance etc but never had any issues.

attachment.php

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 0
I wish I had a B&W. I have an older fold flat ball design.

My concern was with a big square compartment over the neck, it'd get too close to the back window.

I think I'll just find out. Thanks for the input.

I pulled flat front gooseneck horse and stock trailers as well, I could still get over 90 degrees swing without an issue. I had the same worries you do. And for what it's worth, I have run the Atwood fold-a-balls in short beds in the past and didn't have any issues either.

My B&W in my short bed with a stock trailer resulted in a broken window. Couldnt turn over 20* without breaking it out apparently. This trailer had a pretty large square nose to it though. No issues whatsoever with a flatbed tandem.

I had one in my swb chevy with 0 issue's and I'm under a gooseneck alot.. The trailer imo has a good bit to do with it.

I pulled flat front gooseneck horse and stock trailers as well, I could still get over 90 degrees swing without an issue. I had the same worries you do. And for what it's worth, I have run the Atwood fold-a-balls in short beds in the past and didn't have any issues either.

That makes me feel better.

zfaylor, is yours set forward or something?

I think it is a hit or miss, Ive had several friends who have stock trailers and have knocked out their windows with trailer and serveral who havent, I know serveral people who said they'd never buy a short bed again (again all ranchers and farmers) because they knocked the window out or the truck they felt was less stable than a long wheelbase longbed.

Back