Trailer Park Brake

Kronic

I've been thinking of trying this on my truck to help when parked since the E brake isn't much use when the trailer is loaded on a stick shift and the truck is running. Basically add a switch into the trailer brake wire coming off the controller going back to the plug that works normally or puts 12V power to the brake 100% of the time with no back feeding on the controller. I've read a lot of people on pro vs con on this set with the main reason for concern is the length of time its left on and also premature brake magnet failure due to heat build up. I figured I'd try playing around with this a little today and grabbed a USED 6000lb brake magnet off a assembly at work. I hooked it up to a fully charged 12V RV battery, suspended the magnet, then hung a 1-3/4 wrench off the magnet, this is what I found:

9:20am hooked up
9:45am magnet to hot to touch
10:25am wrench is warm
11:00am magnet is noticeably weaker but still holds wrench
11:20am wrench is very warm
12:00 noon check battery level still holding full 12V
2:30pm disconnected magnet and let cool, was still holding wrench
3:30pm hooked magnet back up and put wrench back on, seemed to hold well

So basically after 5 hours other than the magnet being a little weaker (which is was used in the first place) and a lot of heat it was still ok.

Any thoughts? Flame suit on.

Kronic

Interesting idea. I never had a problem with the parking brake holding when I had a 5 speed truck though.

Can't be very great for long period of time, wouldn't bother me for 5 minutes but I would use wheel chocks for long periods.

Mechanical systems don't work up here in the late fall, winter, spring or peroxide of heavy rains due to mud and ice. Im going to play around with it some this week if I get a chance.

Kronic

Back