Twelve Valve Towing: 1st Gen vs 2nd Gen

Bersaglieri

Ron Swanson's Brother
We've been thinking about getting a hand shaker truck dedicated to daily driving and towing, no oraling, just something reasonable. Both of us love 1st gen trucks, but my gut says go DRW 2nd Gen for the pump, NV4500, and Dana 80. I'm not sure if there are significant differences in the frame or brakes since I haven't spent much time under a 1st gen truck.

Max load of a 25 foot gooseneck loaded with 6-12k pounds of tractor, hay, etc.

Is a Getrag and the 1st gen up to the challenge? What are it's reasonable limits?

Non-readers: W350 vs 3500
Can't readers:
images

vs
DC8A579D-1068-4EC5-AC03-EFB123613B0A_1.jpg

For what upu would pay for an ext cab dually 1st Gen 5spd 4x4, you can have 2 2nd Gen 12vs. 2nd gen drive train with 1st gen metal would be ideal. What I Love, and I think beginning in 96, is hydroboosted brakes.

I bought a 91 single cab auto dually in March and it's the cleanest 1st gen I have ever seen even my 1 gen buddy's are jealous but if I was pulling a lot more and it was my daily driving I'd prob go with a 96 to a early 98

I would go for a 2nd gen. It has better brakes, bigger diff, and rides way better. The first gen is up to the task but people ask way too much for them for what they are. Both will work great for what you want to use them for.

Between the 2, 1st or 2nd gen, hands down the best towing trucks are 2nd gens.
Add in the creature comforts of seating, ARM room (always nailed my left elbow in 1st gens) and all-around better layout for braking and the 2nd gen is far, far superior.

In my mind, the ultimate in towing, braking and low end grunt would be a Quad Cab Dually, 6 speed truck (Later 2001 and 2002s all have rear disc brakes), with a nicely tuned VE injection pump on it.

Then again, a 3rd gen is a hell of a machine to tow with, too.

Mark.

I figured the 2nd gen would be better at everything, except obviously the W3530 old truck novelties [quarter glass. etc].

Unless it's a P-pumped 24v, it's gotta be a 12v. No 3rd Gens I hate the interior, the horn thing, etc.

Thanks guys.

I have a 1st gen and a 2nd gen 24 v .The 1st gen will get the job done no problem hauling.Can drive with my knee, eat a sandwich and the truck still holds the road. Will need aspirin after running empty for long distances. The second gen floats like an old caddy . Too bad it doesn't hold the road, always correcting the steering wheel to stay in the lane. Yes I have rebuilt the front end .I prefer the 1st gen ,does what its meant to do. The 2nd gen is newer tech but needs more interaction .Just my preference

I would get a fully splinned main shaft in the nv4500. I personally prefer a first gen my captain chairs are the most comfortable seat ive ever sat in.

it's already been said, but again- 1st gens are awesome old trucks, but you can't compare them to a 2nd gen. They will get the job done and for a long time, they just aren't as comfortable, nice ones are high as a giraffes a$$, and they seem to have a lot more little things go wrong if you work them hard.

I do love my 2nd gen, towing is effortless, even with the auto ( which i hvase done a good amount of work too .. TC, VB, line pressure adj, shifts great now) ..

Would love a 6spd. with my 215 12V

Back