Twin turbo rules for a future 50,000 race?

This thread is a waste of time!!!! The current $50,000 Super Stock event, might just catch on, and have more people build to those rules and do this several times a year. The Bracket world has many Million dollar races every year.

People need to build to rules, not ask for the rules to include them,
The grate part about the super stock race is that without big chargers, it’s a tuners race. If you make this about bigger power, you will inch towards the current Pro Street race, and have a very small field.
I would be happy if the turbo rules were even more restrictive.

7200# minimum WTF??!!!! There ya go leave out ****in half the diesel world.

Daily Driver
No fuel cells
Run what you brung turbos, single,twins,triples etc NO LIMIT.
full size 2500-3500 or 250-350 trucks. Single cab-megacab whatever!
DOT tires,
All fuel
????????
etc.

Btw, these aren't AVERAGE JOE races, if you want average Joe then your talking a programmer, stacks, truck nuts, and a $50 buy in.

Okay, I understand now! I did some more thinking and figured a twin class would be sort of pointless. Might as well have an all out race anyway.

Thanks anyways. This thread is pointless, but at least it gives the twin guys something talk talk about.

:lolly:

bottom turbo up to 3.0
weight no less than the lightest production curb weight diesel.
(example) 1994 dodge 2wd 2500 long bed weight x,xxxlbs.
i think that would be fair

It was mentioned a reg cab 4x4 chev was right at 6k. So we would be back at the minimum 6k rule or less because I'd imagine a 2wd reg cab d max would be even lighter.

Again sorry for the useless thread! Figured I would throw it out there!

Not sure on the exact weight deal but I can take my '04 GMC and get it weighted. I did scale a '05 4x4 and it was right at 6300 so I would guess my 2wd would be a few hundred less. The 4x4 was a work truck so it came with no carpet, no AC, roll up windows, manual heater and an AM/FM radio only. Mine is loaded except leather so it would be close I think.

Not sure on the exact weight deal but I can take my '04 GMC and get it weighted. I did scale a '05 4x4 and it was right at 6300 so I would guess my 2wd would be a few hundred less. The 4x4 was a work truck so it came with no carpet, no AC, roll up windows, manual heater and an AM/FM radio only. Mine is loaded except leather so it would be close I think.

Mine is a 02 RC/LB WT last time I weighed it was 6400 with a 200lb toolbox & heavier wheels so 6100lbs is what it weighed off the lot. 2wd should be 300lbs lighter so 5800lbs roughly

This thread is a waste of time!!!!

It's not a waste of time, it's perfectly valid.

This race was intended to be an "Average Joe / Customer Appreciation" race, correct?

The way the rules are setup, that isn't the case.....AT ALL.

The way it's setup, it's big money, manufacturer support, fiberglassed body, 4-link suspension, tube chassis's, ET Street's, trailer queen racing that has guys BUILDING trucks to meet the event rules.

You want it to be the Average Joe event, you do this.

1 - Must be a full framed and full bodied (including tailgates) in a vehicle that was ORIGINALLY EQUIPPED with a diesel. Motor and trans combo must have been available in that vehicle. Aftermarket parts allowed on motor and trans. Exhaust MUST exit BEHIND the cab.

2 - Vehicles must have valid tags, registration and insurance.

3 - Tires must be a MINIMUM of D load rated. Ya know, tires that are actually used on the normal guys truck. No bead lock wheels or rim screws.

4 - Turbos. Any configuration, but the chargers must be OFF THE SHELF, COMMERCIALLY PROCURABLE models that any guy, any where, can click ORDER NOW and have at their door step. Max size on the largest charger, 80mm inducer, unclipped wheels, no bushings or restrictors.

5 - Suspension must be the same TYPE that originally came on the truck. Ladder bars, air bags, lift / lowering kits, aftermarket shocks allowed, but original type suspension must be fully functional. If it came with leaf springs, it runs with leaf springs.

6 - Axles must be full width and run with the brake system that was originally available on the truck. Upgraded rotors, pads and lines permitted.

7 - No injectables or sprays. (including CO2 on the intercooler)

8 - No transbrakes.

9 - Sportsman tree, no delay boxes, no boost controllers, no stand alone ECM's.

10 - All bodies must be COMPLETE. This includes bumpers, lights, beds (complete floors), mirrors, and DOT glass.

11 - ANY AND ALL SAFETY EQUIPMENT ALLOWED. Cages, seats, harnesses, etc. Spirit of the rules here..... Don't tell me those lexan windows are for safety.

12 - NHRA Rules in effect for the speed you run. If you don't have the gear and you exceed the speed / time, you get one warning (during quals only, during elim's you're out). Do it again, you're in the stands.

13 - Vehicles get tech'd after quals, after elim's, and before and after semi's and final's. Fail tech, you're out, PERIOD.

Last edited:
that makes a lot of sense and would make it more of a average joe race imo

This race was intended to be an "Average Joe / Customer Appreciation" race, correct?

The way it's setup, it's big money, manufacturer support, fiberglassed body, 4-link suspension, tube chassis's, ET Street's, trailer queen racing that has guys BUILDING trucks to meet the event rules.
Partially agree, I suggested a 50 mile drive, 25 out , and 25 back, and then to the staging lanes , this would also garner support for the race in the local area. Picture 100 trucks, with flags, and windshield decals. SUPER STOCK DIESEL
This is done during drag week, and the locals turn out, as well as news media, with this we would not be limited to just two lanes , during a normal bracket weekend. We could also have a Bracket race for the other 84 people that don’t qualify

1 - Must be a full framed and full bodied (including tailgates) in a vehicle that was ORIGINALLY EQUIPPED with a diesel. Motor and trans combo must have been available in that vehicle. Aftermarket parts allowed on motor and trans. Exhaust MUST exit BEHIND the cab.

2 - Vehicles must have valid tags, registration and insurance.

3 - Tires must be a MINIMUM of D load rated. Ya know, tires that are actually used on the normal guys truck. No bead lock wheels or rim screws.

4 - Turbos. Any configuration, but the chargers must be OFF THE SHELF, COMMERCIALLY PROCURABLE models that any guy, any where, can click ORDER NOW and have at their door step. Max size on the largest charger, 80mm inducer, unclipped wheels, no bushings or restrictors.

With this much power it will be a high hp race , with lots of breakages , not good for spectators

5 - Suspension must be the same TYPE that originally came on the truck. Ladder bars, air bags, lift / lowering kits, aftermarket shocks allowed, but original type suspension must be fully functional. If it came with leaf springs, it runs with leaf springs.

this is ok

6 - Axles must be full width and run with the brake system that was originally available on the truck. Upgraded rotors, pads and lines permitted.

ok

7 - No injectables or sprays. (including CO2 on the intercooler)

ok

8 - No transbrakes.

why not

sportsman tree make it ok to have a truck that takes forever to spool ,
why no standalone ECM's

10 - All bodies must be COMPLETE. This includes bumpers, lights, beds (complete floors), mirrors, and DOT glass.

ok

11 - ANY AND ALL SAFETY EQUIPMENT ALLOWED. Cages, seats, harnesses, etc. Spirit of the rules here..... Don't tell me those lexan windows are for safety.

ok ,

12 - NHRA Rules in effect for the speed you run. If you don't have the gear and you exceed the speed / time, you get one warning (during quals only, during elim's you're out). Do it again, you're in the stands.

no warnings , if your going to run faster then 11.50 then you know before hand you need a roll bar before hand ,
at a NHRA / IHRA track, your out if you run too fast

13 - Vehicles get tech'd after quals, after elim's, and before and after semi's and final's. Fail tech, you're out, PERIOD.

safty tech first

I know you're sponsoring the race, I asked if you were building a truck for the event.

haven't decided yet , I am supporting what Jeff is doing , one way or another, I have quite a few offers from vendors. My time is limited , I am going to be racing both my dragster , and a Competition eliminator car next year, along with land speed efforts in the Beetle , a 5.0 V10 Truck ,and a diesel Lakester

Partially agree, I suggested a 50 mile drive, 25 out , and 25 back, and then to the staging lanes , this would also garner support for the race in the local area. Picture 100 trucks, with flags, and windshield decals. SUPER STOCK DIESEL

This is done during drag week, and the locals turn out, as well as news media, with this we would not be limited to just two lanes , during a normal bracket weekend. We could also have a Bracket race for the other 84 people that don’t qualify

Absolutely! The truck should come in and leave under it's own power. Do a Friday night cruise before the event. If the truck can't cruise in traffic without overheating or dumping the trans, that eliminates that.

With this much power it will be a high hp race , with lots of breakages , not good for spectators

And that eliminates the one hit wonders and those that depend on spray to light off the big chargers.

8 - No transbrakes.

why not

Show me one application for a trans brake on a daily driven truck, other than racing, and I'd say let it fly.

sportsman tree make it ok to have a truck that takes forever to spool,

Again, that also eliminates those that rely on the spray to spool the chargers that are too big for the motor.

why no standalone ECM's

Bottom line: That's a big ticket item and is NOT something that Average Joe runs or in most cases is even considering. Lots of pipe dreams about them, but in reality, it's not on the table for 99% of guys with trucks they actually built and that actually get used as a truck.

no warnings , if your going to run faster then 11.50 then you know before hand you need a roll bar before hand ,
at a NHRA / IHRA track, your out if you run too fast

The reason for the one time warning during the qual runs only is to allow those guys that come from, say Colorado, down to sea level the opportunity to make that tweak to keep it legal.

You get one swing at it. If you can't get it legal, you're done.

Like was said in the other thread, the time frame that the race is planned doesn't allow any test and tune for the guys up north. Hell, the guys that are at high elevation are already out for the season in some cases.

The intent of rules like that keep guys from taking a what would otherwise be a trailer queen and putting a hot rodded 66 on there and totally disregard the intent behind the event.

Last edited:
Wow! Thank you cummin-a-long!!!! You really helped this thread!

:clap::clap::clap:

Wow! Thank you cummin-a-long!!!! You really helped this thread!

:clap::clap::clap:

I just think that if you want to get folks out of the stands and onto the track, you cater to the largest crowd.

The largest crowd are the guys that drive these damn things everyday.

There are plenty....PLENTY....of folks that already fit the rules above and don't need to spend the next 5 months prepping a truck as a one hit wonder.

The only ones those rules exclude are the trailer queens.

Don't get me wrong, I like seeing the fast trucks run, but what's better for the sport......a few of the big boys playing for cash and stands full of bored faces between the rounds OR getting those faces that might actually run OUT of the stands and onto the track.

How many times have you been to an event and had a good handful of guys running ET brackets (which is just racing yourself) and then a small handful of trucks (total) in the other classes?

Pony up the $500, put your CUSTOMERS truck on the track with the CUSTOMER driving it.....not paying a ringer to drive your truck for you. You might be surprised how fast that $500 comes back to you when folks want to go faster.

Just my .02.

Only way to prove its a daily driver is to take it to all five events at Drag Week. Otherwise, its only a vehicle you drive on the street.:stab:

I agree. I know a lot of people that drive their race vehicles to the gas station or to the store right down the road two or three times a year, just so they can call it a daily driver. My idea of daily driver is you can and do drive it everywhere and anywhere. If you cant drive it through Atlanta(or whatever your big city is) during rush hour traffic, its not a dialy driver.

It is much, much, much easier to build a "race" vehicle than it is a big hp driver. But the fact is, both will be in Jeff's february race. Both will have to adapt to the rules. Everybody will be disadvantaged in one way or another. I look forward to this race and all others that follow. If rules change, then I will just have to change with them, as everyone else will that wants to race. I just hope more poeple start doing this instead of crying about the rules. I think Jeff and Gary have done a great job at putting this together. I also like the rules that Cumminalong posted for a future race. If that race happens. I will be there.

I like some of the rules mentioned in here a lot and think this would end up being the heart of the industry. Jeff and them have started what I think will be a huge milestone here and very interested to see how this all turns out. One question I have is not related to the trucks persay but location. Where would be a nice central location that would draw a big enough crowd to maybe extend the event and even up the annie a bit. I know if you throw enough cash around people will travel but thoughts on a fairly even playing field? Bowling Green KY ???? Pretty sure there are going to be a few followers for this kind of race

Last edited:
An annual event could easily be held in a different city and region every year.

Back