What to do for an Allison to survive 500hp?

Mr.T

DPF's are gay
Alrighty, I'm getting ready to turn up the wick on my 02 LB7 and I've got a couple options here, adrenaline performance can build me a trans that will hold 800+ with an unlimited mileage warranty for right around 4k, or, I can pick up a core ally and build it myself then just swap it in when its all done, and I'm sure with all the Allison experts on here picking the right combination of parts would be easy, what do the experts think?

It's not adrenaline truck performance (IdahoRob) its a small shop here in east Idaho that happens to share the same name, but his reputation is very good as far as building allisons, but that's 3800 dollars.....

Shift kit and triple disc converter.

That may hold 400HP on a 5 speed allison if the clutches are in good shape.

It's not adrenaline truck performance (IdahoRob) its a small shop here in east Idaho that happens to share the same name, but his reputation is very good as far as building allisons, but that's 3800 dollars.....

Cam is a very good tranny/engine builder. I would not hesitate to have him build me one.

My Dmaxstore stage 4 kit has been holding 520 at the wheels (mustang dyno) for 2 years. No problems so far.

I've heard lots of good about his work with duramax engines and Allison transmissions, the fact that he offers a warranty is even better

That may hold 400HP on a 5 speed allison if the clutches are in good shape.

Mine probably aren't, with almost 200k on the ticker and being limped a few times, its probably best to go through the whole thing

Taylor. Just have cam do it once and be done with it. That way you never even have to think about it again

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

This is the first automatic diesel I've ever owned, I'm used to dropping 2k on a clutch and being done LOL

maybe I'll find a core trans and take it over to him and then sell mine when I swap em to recoup some of my money

Build it. Yes, its a lot of money, but all of us had to go thru that same door at one time or another. Nice that he offers a warranty for his work.

Cam is awesome, i bet if you ask nice you can drop it off in the morning and pick it up that evening

Send it to suncoast. Any questions?

Suncoast is great (or was), but not practical at all in this situation. They are across the country from the OP, more expensive than his builder, the OP's truck would be down much longer, inferior warranty, and any warranty claim could be catastrophic...as in, "Oh, it limped? Just pull it out and mail it back to us, we'll check it out". Then it gets exponentially worse when a pissing contest starts about whose fault it is that the trans failed, the builder or the installer.

That's the kind of scenario where your truck ends up in the shop for a month (while you're driving a rental truck to work @ $44/day x 33 days). This is precisely why i won't have anything built by anyone who isn't fairly local...entirely too much risk.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Yep, if I have any issues with the trans, he's only a 30 minute drive from my house

Taylor save your money and have a full build done. Once they limp a couple times the clutches are suspect... If that shop offers that warranty and Rob is endorsing them, It's a no brainer.

If you feel comfortable, build it yourself! With those miles just make sure to check/replace all of the wear items, and if you just buy a clutch/shift kit make sure to buy new apply pistons. Merchant Auto sells an allison rebuild kit that comes with ALL seals/pistons but NO bearings for about $275.

It doesnt take long to build one, just take a Friday off and take your time over the weekend!

If you feel comfortable, build it yourself! With those miles just make sure to check/replace all of the wear items, and if you just buy a clutch/shift kit make sure to buy new apply pistons. Merchant Auto sells an allison rebuild kit that comes with ALL seals/pistons but NO bearings for about $275.

It doesnt take long to build one, just take a Friday off and take your time over the weekend!

I'm gonna say no to this post. The kit with the converter is damn near $3k by itself.

Get it built right and be done with it, especially if you have a local guy that is reputable and will warranty it.

I'm gonna say no to this post. The kit with the converter is damn near $3k by itself.

Get it built right and be done with it, especially if you have a local guy that is reputable and will warranty it.

What kit? A Gmax doesnt come with a converter, and PPE kits are around $2200.

Back