What Torque Converter to go with?

Back-N-Black 76

I am needing a new TC and I was wandering what you guys think? It is goin on the truck in my sig, and I do some sled pulling and drag racing every once in a while. I also plan on getting an adrenaline and turbo and maybe some bigger sticks in the future. I want something that will hold!

Call Phil Taylor (Slowpoke) here on CompD....Diesel Performance Convertors...770-318-8696....
He's set up at Garmon's Diesel Performance..Same Building

You Can't go wrong here!!!

Let me know if I can help ya too....Would be glad to....

I like my Spec-Rite converter...triple disc, billet cover, and steel stator!!!:rockwoot:

Personally unless your going extreme in either drag racing or sled pulling then I'd stay with a single disk. They are lighter and take less power to drive so that translates to more power at the rear wheels. Theoretically. The only company that I've seen that has a single that will hold as much as a triple in 99% of applications is DTT. But one thing you've got to remember is DTT has designed their entire transmission and converter to run with a single disk. That's why their's holds so well. The others have designed their tranny's around a triple disk and that's what works for them. To make a single disk work you've got to seal the internals of the transmission better in order to make better use of the pressure that is there. Once that's done then you can up the pressures and hold more power with less converter. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with a triple as they obviously work. I'm just throwing my .02 in.

Personally unless your going extreme in either drag racing or sled pulling then I'd stay with a single disk. They are lighter and take less power to drive so that translates to more power at the rear wheels. Theoretically. The only company that I've seen that has a single that will hold as much as a triple in 99% of applications is DTT. But one thing you've got to remember is DTT has designed their entire transmission and converter to run with a single disk. That's why their's holds so well. The others have designed their tranny's around a triple disk and that's what works for them. To make a single disk work you've got to seal the internals of the transmission better in order to make better use of the pressure that is there. Once that's done then you can up the pressures and hold more power with less converter. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with a triple as they obviously work. I'm just throwing my .02 in.

Also remember DTT said the only people who use triples are those who can't make it work with a single. LOL

Basically to get a single to work, you need good line pressure. What would scare me would be heavy towing on a truck with a set of twins, for a small charger. I.E a truck that can make some torque at 1600 rpm. Part throttle at low rpm you could come up short on line pressure. I have ran a single and Goerend had no issue with me running the single with a big single charger and sled pulling. His thoughts are wide open throttle you will have the line pressure to hold the convertor clutches.

I have heard people say several times that a single disc converter will be faster than a triple disc converter because of weight of the converter.

I have found this not to be true at all.

I had a single disc goerend with the same stall as my triple disc goerend has now. Ran them both at the dragstrip with the same setup. Neither one slipped at WOT, and I ran the same times with both converters.

The difference was that with the same line pressure, the single would slip in the lower RPM's when the torque was really being put down. The triple wouldnt slip at all.

Anyways, not saying a single is a bad thing, but i will dispute the argument that they will be faster than the same truck with a triple disc.

I would also go with Goerend. Awesome stuff, and he has a lifetime warranty on his triple disc.

Eric

Thanks for all your input! But I will probably go with a triple disc. Just not sure which one yet. I need to do all my research before I make the decision.

Thanks for all your input! But I will probably go with a triple disc. Just not sure which one yet. I need to do all my research before I make the decision.

there are many who do good with their trannys but, all those mentioned beside Garmon are a lot farther away. You can drive to Garmons, talk to the man in person, talk to Phil who can build you a TQ from scratch and you'll be good to go.

Take my truck..... 8300lbs on 37's and runs high 11's. My tranny has been in for 2 yrs without issue.

Who you choose is your option but, I know I'd like to be able to go to where it was done if there's a problem. Half way across the country can be a pain.

Jeff Garmon Is the man, I just met him in person at TS last week, HE"S A STAND UP GUY!!! I've got a full billet trans from Jeff, it's GREAT!! Also you can't beat the price. SLOWPOKE can build one hell of a triple, I'm knowone in the diesel world power wise but I love his triple. This thing hits hard and there's no slipping it period. Give them a call, you won't be sorry. If you have any questions about anything feel free to shoot me a PM, I'd be glad to help out. ROB
:Cheer:

The honest answer is: Everyone mentioned has units that are indestructible, and units that are a pain in the a$$. It's the nature of the beast, this guy is fixin the other guy's tranny and so forth. Pick one because it's recommended, cheaper, or because you like the color, it doesn't really matter. Sun Coast, Goerend, DTT, Garmon, or Art Carr all of which are the "ELITE" and any of them will make you happy( especially if you get one of the indestructibles).$.02

The honest answer is: Everyone mentioned has units that are indestructible, and units that are a pain in the a$$. It's the nature of the beast, this guy is fixin the other guy's tranny and so forth. Pick one because it's recommended, cheaper, or because you like the color, it doesn't really matter. Sun Coast, Goerend, DTT, Garmon, or Art Carr all of which are the "ELITE" and any of them will make you happy( especially if you get one of the indestructibles).$.02

Good point their. Jeff just went above and beyond for me, I can't thank him enough. They all make a great product but they don't call him "THE" Jeff Garmon for nothing. ROB

One thing I like about Dave Goerend is his warranty. He will do pretty much anything to help you out if you do have a problem. Lots of his customers are guys who drag 20K around the country. He has very creative ways to help them out if they have a problem.
Talk to the builders about your needs, ask them about warranty if needed, and make your decision.

I am needing a new TC and I was wandering what you guys think?

It is goin on the truck in my sig,

and I do some drag racing every once in a while.

the truck in your sig? you didnt show your sig...lol

for drag racing you want a loose conv

don

the truck in your sig? you didnt show your sig...lol

Post #1 has his signature...
2000 Dodge Ram 2500
4x4 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Silencer Ring MIA, Hot Rod VP44, 150 HP Injector Nozzles, 200 GPH FASS, AFE Stage 2 Intake, 4" Turbo Back into 5" Miter Stacks

I have heard people say several times that a single disc converter will be faster than a triple disc converter because of weight of the converter.

I have found this not to be true at all.

I had a single disc goerend with the same stall as my triple disc goerend has now. Ran them both at the dragstrip with the same setup. Neither one slipped at WOT, and I ran the same times with both converters.

The difference was that with the same line pressure, the single would slip in the lower RPM's when the torque was really being put down. The triple wouldnt slip at all.

Anyways, not saying a single is a bad thing, but i will dispute the argument that they will be faster than the same truck with a triple disc.

I would also go with Goerend. Awesome stuff, and he has a lifetime warranty on his triple disc.

Eric

Also remember DTT said the only people who use triples are those who can't make it work with a single. LOL

Basically to get a single to work, you need good line pressure. What would scare me would be heavy towing on a truck with a set of twins, for a small charger. I.E a truck that can make some torque at 1600 rpm. Part throttle at low rpm you could come up short on line pressure. I have ran a single and Goerend had no issue with me running the single with a big single charger and sled pulling. His thoughts are wide open throttle you will have the line pressure to hold the convertor clutches.

That's why I said theoretically a single would be faster.

And I've talked to DTT about line pressures for twins and for motors that make a lot of power down low and they recommend using the 48re valvebody cause the pressures ramp up a LOT faster.