What you think of this hitch

lubeowner

here is our rule: Would like input on what your opinions

10. Must be Reese style hitch. Reinforcements are allowed. Trick hitches are prohibited. Hitch must be easily accessible for hook. Must be constructed of solid material that is properly attached and braced. Hooking point must be at least 44 inches rearward from the centerline of the rear axle. Hitch must be horizontal to the ground and stationary in all directions. Hitch height may not exceed 26 inches from the ground. Hitch must be easily adjustable. No bouncing on truck to lower hitch. Must be in state of rest. Hooking point must have a minimum 3 inch inside diameter opening for the sled hook. The hooking point will be measured to the center of the clevis loop. Must have bumper or bump stops if vehicle has no bumper.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=69013&d=1216041896
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=69014&d=1216041896

Links aren't working. Does it have to do with the black regular cab Dodge from last Saturday?

No linky linky. Try posting the pics instead of a link to another forum where some won't have access. $.02

Sorry they erased those photos, luckily I save them on my computer quickly

wow..thats a nice hitch.

I think what jeremy is trying to say is that..the rules are stated (above) and this is the hitch someone was trying to use..under the rules above..

Dayum, that is one nice setup! I don't think it would fall under the "reese style" hitch, but looks well far and above what a "reese style" hitch would support! I guess it would all fall on the tech's interpretation of the rules. $.02. I like it, someone did a lot of nice work. :clap: How, or can you, adjust height?

Weld a piece of .25 wall 2" x 2" tubing in it and put your tongue on a solid 2" bar and make an insert out of it. That meets "reese style hitch". another $.02

Is the drawbar fixed or does it pivot? From the pictures it looks like it just has the single pin in the front which would allow it to pivot up. Clearly it doesn't meet the rules because it's not a Reese style hitch but as long as it meets the height and distance from the rear axle requirements I don't see that it's giving him any kind of an advantage on the track other than being stronger than a Reese style hitch. A 2" Reese hitch is fine for pulling a trailer down the road behind a 300hp truck but when you've got an 800+hp truck hooked to a sled they are marginal at best in my opinion.

There are bolts under the hitch at the very back to adjust the hitch up or down as needed. The bar or "hitch" slides into a reciever and is held in by a single pin. It is just that the reciever is about 5 inches by 8 inches and the htich that slides in is only 1 1/2 by 5 inches so it can pivot up or down as needed inside the reciever. Nobody says how big or small your reciever can be.

on edit:
The hitch is 13" long in total length and the pin is located about 2" below the bottom of the frame rails.

Nice hitch for sure but not legal in most regulated street classes.

I see no way to put a ball in it and tow a trailer so I say: FAIL

Nice hitch however looks like some nice workmanship.

I see no way to put a ball in it and tow a trailer so I say: FAIL

Nice hitch however looks like some nice workmanship.

Pull pin, pull out the bar and slide in the other one, with the ball on it.

It is not my hitch. I am the tech for the club. I say no, but now we are changing the rules to allow it.

You think this one was bad, you should have seen the other one. It was made out of 2X6 tubing and was about 6 feet long. ran up to the back of the cab and attached above the frame there. Then it had a heavy adjustment bracket over the rear axle. Then came back to a real nice store bought "Reece" reciever tube welded on it. Even had the Reece name sticker still on it.

To me that is not a Reece style hitch. If the rules say reece hitch then that is what you should have to have. Most rulebooks say that it is up to the tech officials discrection on whether or not it passes. So if the techs say it's a no go then they have to change it.

I still don't like the Reece style hitch rule. Hitches are cheap and easy to make and should be left up to the truck owners imagination. Obviously you would want to put height and length restrictions but that is easy and quick to tech. JMO. Good luck.

You think this one was bad, you should have seen the other one. It was made out of 2X6 tubing and was about 6 feet long. ran up to the back of the cab and attached above the frame there. Then it had a heavy adjustment bracket over the rear axle. Then came back to a real nice store bought "Reece" reciever tube welded on it. Even had the Reece name sticker still on it.
Did you DQ them or not?

Guess he was allowed to pull, and won by 12 ft or something on one of the hooks and also won the 2nd hook...

The farther forward the attachment point to the frame from the hitch, the bigger the advantage...$.02

Did that pass tech? :doh:

My drop box has a new process 271 tag on it, does that meet the "must be available in a 1-ton or less production vehicle" rule... LOL

Back