Which rods?

DuramaxDaddy29

I just pulled my engine and I was wondering if there were any cheap suggestions on good strong rods? I know about the Crower rods is there any others that are reliable and less expensive? I already have ARP head studs I'm wanting to obtain a 600 to 650 rwhp truck for know but I want a good foundation for later. Thinking of piston upgrades also. Thanks for any help. *bdh*

i would get the crowers, they have been proven. as of right now i don't know of anything cheaper that has been proven. there are rumors of good rods for a cheaper price, but nothing is out yet.

Last edited:
I have the Crowers with A1 bolts. Very happy.

If I had it to do again I would the rods from Howards Racing and A1 bolts.

I have used alot of ARP stuff in the past. Not very happy with there quality lately. Both my head stud and Main stud kits needed a lot of extra work to get the nuts to go one smooth. If ARP would give up on just throwing studs in box with out wraping each they could help the the quality of there product that the customer receives. Right know I recommend A1 bolts. Sorry about the rant. It just POs me that I spent over 1K in bolts and studs and had to spend hours massaging them.

Compy if you read this tell ARP that putting the studs in tubes like they do there bolts would be a big help.

Carillo rods are a lot heavier than the Crowers, and i dont think anyone has destroyed a set of crowers ( i could be wrong though... ).

where do you buy the Crower rods from.....

also, what about the rods that TTS sells?

heres a perspective

Rods.jpg

WOW....that H-Beam is sweeeeet! Damm Purdy look'n! Anything fractured?

I'm running the TTS rods. They have worked great. Weren't there some issues with the length on the Crower rods causing some problems?

I'm running the TTS rods. They have worked great. Weren't there some issues with the length on the Crower rods causing some problems?

thats what i have heard but i have a set in my truck and have no problems with them. there are alot of people using them and not having a issue so i guess they might had a issue a while ago but not anymore.

Carillo rods are a lot heavier than the Crowers, and i dont think anyone has destroyed a set of crowers ( i could be wrong though... ).

where do you buy the Crower rods from.....

also, what about the rods that TTS sells?

when i talked to tts about there rods. they said they made them because of the crower failures ie bending. but when talk to other people and other builders they said they have not seen any failures in the crower rods so looking at price i went with crower and been happy since then.

So the H-Beam is weaker than the I-Beam???? That doesn't seem right? I'd guess the Crower is nicking the sides, making the beam fail, before saying the it is weeker than the I-beam.

So the H-Beam is weaker than the I-Beam???? That doesn't seem right? I'd guess the Crower is nicking the sides, making the beam fail, before saying the it is weeker than the I-beam.

the audi TDI runs H-beam over I-beam.

carillos had a couple batched were they were not the right length. when they first started shipping them. iirc it has been fixed.

currently NO one has bent ANY aftermarket rods for a duramax

I'll be running the DPR X-beam rods.

i saw those in Diesel Power last month. are they any lighter/better?

do most rods come with bearings? if not, are stock replacement rod bearings used?

i saw those in Diesel Power last month. are they any lighter/better?

do most rods come with bearings? if not, are stock replacement rod bearings used?

They are 60 grams lighter than the Crower rods, and they have their own bearings, you can't use stock ones.

I know of a set of crower rods that you could pick up for a good price.

PM me for some more info if your interested

Can you give weights for all 4?

i tried to search for all the different weights, but couldnt find them.
the carrillo rods are supposed to be 30-40 grams heavier, and the others are only 5-10 grams weight difference.

Guy from Socal Diesel said hes working with the engineers on the carrillo rods to try and put them on a bit of a diet, but still keep them strong...:poke:

Thanks. I wonder what 30 grams difference makes or takes away in HP?

Probably nothing noticable on the street. dyno would be only way to tell. i dont know if the big factor would be on the HP, but more on the rotating mass putting stress on other things...