BW 369sxe failure

Also have a manual oil pressure gauge on it and it reads 20 psi warm at idle and will go right to 50 at the tap of throttle. I'm thinking I should have listened to zfaylor and went with a s464. Hopefully I'll get a new one from power driven as I just can't afford another turbo.

Whats up with the failures on the 300 frame sxe's? I have a new 362sxe sitting here and I'm starting to have concerns about installing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tortured mine plain and simple. I think they do well when kept in the efficiency map but cannot sustain constant abuse. I'm going back to an s400 chassis. My review is they are kick ass for a s300 chassis. I think because they flow so much higher Hp trucks are testing them and are just abusing them. The 369 flows 98lbs per minute which is outstanding but I just don't think it can constantly be pushed at 98 lbs per min

I wouldn't work ANY turbo that hard right out of the box. Like anything else mechanical, if you don't want it to fail right out of the box, you got to keep it cool, slow, and oiled for some break in time.

You wouldn't rebuild a long block, and immediately set your tune to KILL and floor it, right ?

As I said I wasn't hard on mine and it went out. Could have just been a flaw in bearing I don't know and don't care as long as it is fixed or I get a new one without having to pay out of my poCket

I replaced a billet S475 with a S369 T4 1.0 and pretty hard on it. It's been awesome, but I need to get a drive pressure gushed on it. I'm running it on a tube I dynoed 852hp with the s475 and no problems but I'm waiting to run my big tune that dynoed 1260hp with the s475

Turbos do not have a break in period. At all. The shaft and thrust collar shouldn't touch the bearings. Oil is what keeps them centered and happy.

I'm running a forced inductions 476. My best pass is only 1/8th mile. With the 369 I did 7.429 @92.4 mph. With the 476 I did 7.348@93.1mph

I truly believe that the compressor moving air and making boost part of the sealing strategy on the turbo.

It's not an opinion, it's fact. That's why a fair amount of time is spent making sure the wheel backdisk profile and the backplate machining and clearances are "just right".

The machining of the backplate looks so simple, but that whole system works together to keep oil where it should be.

However the turbo in this case was pushed likely so far off the map that it was was beyond what the designers planned for. Also, routinely surging the shyte out of it is also way off the design page.

That said, it's amazing what these put up with.

It's not an opinion, it's fact. That's why a fair amount of time is spent making sure the wheel backdisk profile and the backplate machining and clearances are "just right".

The machining of the backplate looks so simple, but that whole system works together to keep oil where it should be.

However the turbo in this case was pushed likely so far off the map that it was was beyond what the designers planned for. Also, routinely surging the shyte out of it is also way off the design page.

I started this post as a this is how far you can push it style of post. Since rebuilding it, it's still a runner and I'm blown away at how much this 369 is putting up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dang I push mine to around 60psi max. Ive had it for about 10k miles with no problems yet. It really sucks to buy something then start hearing of all the failures.

What about axial loading on the shaft from over driving the turbine, could this put excessive pressure on the seals as well?

What about axial loading on the shaft from over driving the turbine, could this put excessive pressure on the seals as well?

Being that many people have pushed the compressor wheel to meet the cover that way...one would think it's part of the equation.

I have yet to see a turbine tested past PR 5.0.

Back