Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Should be a 4. The 12.7 series 60 is probably one of the most reliable class 8 engines ever built, and they'll go way longer than 500k if they haven't been abused. We got one at an auction with just over a mil on it and it looked like it might have had the original oil in it, it definitely needed a rebuild lol. See if they'll let you get an oil sample.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm down on the couch for about a week. I'll try to get some pics up after that and more info on the engine.

I used to work with this little girl. Finally grew old enough the seat slapping me in the back all the time started to hurt.

Slim_Jim.jpg

So, I found and bought this old girl

KW100_3.jpg

She has a very tired 400 cummins with a 10 speed. It would require a lot of work to get this truck in the shape the aerodyne is in.

Cabovers are an interesting truck when it comes to buying and selling. On one hand they don't make them anymore for a reason. On the other hand they don't make them anymore. I see nice ones sell for $40-50k, then other times it's hard to give it away. A friend of mine has an early 80s very low mile Freightliner cabby he was asking $15k for and it's nothing special at all. If the right buyer comes along he'll sell it. If not he will have trouble getting $5k out of it.
$16k probably isn't way out of line. Don't let the 60 series scare you, but like others said it won't hurt to pull an oil sample. At worst it should need rods and mains rolled in. Check for blowby. A little is normal on those motors.

A third for getting an oil sample. I looked at a truck that ran and drove great. No signs of any water or fuel in the oil. Price was right, drive train was right, was ready to buy, oil sample came back with water in the oil. Walked away. For being a toy hauler I'd hat to have to rebuild shortly after I bought it. You'll have another $16,000 in a rebuild.

I wouldn't be afraid of the S60 either, if I had no preference over big cube Diesel engines. Will most likely get the best fuel mileage with a tune and EGR delete of any of them.

Again, what's it worth to you. I personally wouldn't even consider a cabover, so I can't help you on the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel embarrassed, I've never done enough trucking to pull oil samples but I see how valuable they can be.

Who would I send the oil to for sampling?

I feel embarrassed, I've never done enough trucking to pull oil samples but I see how valuable they can be.

Who would I send the oil to for sampling?

They don't hide anything.

Cat does them, too.

You'll need a sample bottle and a hand pump. Get the truck hot, drive it around if you can. The pump comes with a long tube. Pull the dip stick, put the tube into the oil pan and pump away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back