wanting to make 92 6.5 faster

dieseldog94

I have a 92 6.5 and want to make it faster and stronger I don't know a lot but plz exsplane anything you think Ness to be done. I no injectors would help but what kind turbo upgrades. Fuel pump things after you put in injectors. Please leave comments.

i have a 95 k-3500. there is no way to make it better.its pretty good the way it is. maybe put in a cummins. i dont know. yours is not electronic. its probably better. hell im not helping am i . sorry

Push it down a steep hill will speed it up! Seriously though, they don't make much power & you would spend a fortune to make 300 horse. If you wanna make power put a 12 valve cummins in it!!

There are some mods out there for your truck but you will not see huge gains. To get big numbers out of a 6.5 is expensive but to just get better performance and mileage gains it is possible. Start out by doing basic maintence then work your way up to hard parts.

1. Open the exhaust up with a 3" downpipe and a 4" back exhaust. 2. Open the airbox up with a K47 style filter or some other type of cold air high flow filter set-up. 3. Install a set of guages. 4. Improve the cooling system with a 99.5+ style water pump and thread on fan clutch with a DURAMAX fan blade. ALso clean out your radiator and condensor while you've got it open. 5. Replace the injectors with new ones if teh condition of your current ones is unknown or if they have more than 100K miles on them. 6. Turn up the injection pumps fuel limit screw about a 1/2 a turn. 7. Install an a-team turbo on it. 8. Find a spare engine if you don't keep your engine temps and EGT's in check as you WILL melt it down in a hurry if not. The old 6.5's can actually be made to run pretty good, many of them out there can even hang with a new stock diesel truck. Just bear in mind the 6.5 is a light duty diesel engine and will not take the abuse that any of the newer diesels can.

Last edited:
There are alot of things you can do to it. TheFermanator is on track with it. The rest of the douchbag's that say "just put a cummins in it or don't do anything", should stop muckin' up your thread. The same clowns that say that probably also argue STILL that the 6.2/6.5 is a converted gas engine, when if you have ever had one apart you would clearly see that it's not. Not to mention a simple amount of re-search would put that wives tail to rest.
"I got me a 12 valve with 370 marine's and an HX40, yee haw it's the fastest damn thing around!! I know so because it smokes like a train and that's super cool." yuk yuk, please

Check your balancer for slippage, they are usually in need of replacement.
Find some Bosch Marine tips, or install new tips and lower the popoff pressure to 2000. Advance the timing, gauges, headers to a better turbo. Don't let fuel pressure drop below 12 lbs, put a lift pump on it if you need to. Don't take it up past 1200* for more than a couple seconds. Especially since you don't have any oil squirters.
Do you have stock pump on it? DB2829? You might have got lucky and got the DB4911. If you can fabricate headers, that would help immensly. If you want to spend some real cash, get a newstyle block with oil squirters, install a girdle, then you can make some real decent power. Just depends how much you have to spend. They are GREAT engines, you just have to be realistic with their limits. They aren't a powerstroke/duramax/cummins. But they can make good power and are cheap to fix/maintain.
Do you know if the engine has had head gaskets or any internal work done?

Sorry for the rant, dude. I just get so sick and tired of people saying "12valve or nothin'". I have two of them, great motors. Everything has it's positives and negatives.

Mike

Last edited:
I have a 92 6.5 and want to make it faster and stronger I don't know a lot but plz exsplane anything you think Ness to be done. I no injectors would help but what kind turbo upgrades. Fuel pump things after you put in injectors. Please leave comments.

Not trying to piss any mods off here, but you need to look into a different site that has a huge 6.2/6.5 following

The Truck Stop.com

or Dieasel towing resource.com will get you to the same site.

The 6.5 is not a well recieved motor in the performance world due to the old IDI system it used, but they can be made to run very decent and run a looooooong time.

There are alot of things you can do to it. TheFermanator is on track with it. The rest of the douchbag's that say "just put a cummins in it or don't do anything", should stop muckin' up your thread. The same clowns that say that probably also argue STILL that the 6.2/6.5 is a converted gas engine, when if you have ever had one apart you would clearly see that it's not. Not to mention a simple amount of re-search would put that wives tail to rest.
"I got me a 12 valve with 370 marine's and an HX40, yee haw it's the fastest damn thing around!! I know so because it smokes like a train and that's super cool." yuk yuk, please

Check your balancer for slippage, they are usually in need of replacement.
Find some Bosch Marine tips, or install new tips and lower the popoff pressure to 2000. Advance the timing, gauges, headers to a better turbo. Don't let fuel pressure drop below 12 lbs, put a lift pump on it if you need to. Don't take it up past 1200* for more than a couple seconds. Especially since you don't have any oil squirters.
Do you have stock pump on it? DB2829? You might have got lucky and got the DB4911. If you can fabricate headers, that would help immensly. If you want to spend some real cash, get a newstyle block with oil squirters, install a girdle, then you can make some real decent power. Just depends how much you have to spend. They are GREAT engines, you just have to be realistic with their limits. They aren't a powerstroke/duramax/cummins. But they can make good power and are cheap to fix/maintain.
Do you know if the engine has had head gaskets or any internal work done?

Sorry for the rant, dude. I just get so sick and tired of people saying "12valve or nothin'". I have two of them, great motors. Everything has it's positives and negatives.

Mike

You sure are trash talking cummins owners alot for have a few yourself :poke: You know why everyone LOVES they're 12 valves, cause they make power, they're reliable & dependable. We have a 6.5 as a shop truck, its NONE of the above. Biggest POS i've ever driven in my life & its on its 3rd motor from GM & its only got 80K miles, thats part of where my disgust for those motors comes from.

Last edited:
There is a reason the 6.5 is still in production, there is a demand for them the marine market uses them alot. Our Humvee's overseas did pretty damn good considering the invroment and use of them, they moved the 13,000+ pound up armored humvees just fine.

They will never be a hotrod but they can get the job done.

I would assume you Cummins boys have never heard of Bill Heath??? He has made the 6.5's do some amazing things, Boneville being one of them...

There is a reason the 6.5 is still in production, there is a demand for them the marine market uses them alot. Our Humvee's overseas did pretty damn good considering the invroment and use of them, they moved the 13,000+ pound up armored humvees just fine.

They will never be a hotrod but they can get the job done.

I would assume you Cummins boys have never heard of Bill Heath??? He has made the 6.5's do some amazing things, Boneville being one of them...

wasn't he the one that put a TON of money into it to make 300 or so horse? I'm not just a "cummins boy" I just don't have any respect for a motor thats best use is a boat anchor. My buddy is a mechanic in the army & he dislikes the 6.5's ALOT more than I do, he said it was "pitiful" how much downtime the Humvee's had becasue of a shoddy powerplant.

my neighbor has rebuilt about 10-15 over teh past 3 years and still believes they are good motors but his 89 crew cab has a cummins in it

my neighbor has rebuilt about 10-15 over teh past 3 years and still believes they are good motors but his 89 crew cab has a cummins in it

I agree with your neighbor...the 6.2/6.5 is good for fattening the garageman's wallet...and I'll drive a cummins to keep my wallet fat.

wasn't he the one that put a TON of money into it to make 300 or so horse? I'm not just a "cummins boy" I just don't have any respect for a motor thats best use is a boat anchor. My buddy is a mechanic in the army & he dislikes the 6.5's ALOT more than I do, he said it was "pitiful" how much downtime the Humvee's had becasue of a shoddy powerplant.

Heath did invest a TON of money for sure but to be the first guy to do somthing it takes money to be first. the reason O bring this up is because this guy just got this truck and is proobably pretty proud of it, I just can't make myself bash his purchase odds are he got it dirt cheap and it will do what he needs it too as long as it's not needed to pull big loads or haul ass.

I am not a 6.5 fan club member but I respect what Detroit was trying to do with these motors it just didn;t pan out all that well. I will be doing a 6.2 turbo build up myself as I have a ton of parts layin around and I am building a fuel sipping diesel seeing if I can't hit upper 20's in economy, I will only be shooting for around 200-220 horse but I will be building it as strong as they can be built.

To the OP you did kinda buy the redheaded step child of the diesel world the the 6.5 Detroits and the 6.0 powerstrokes are 2 of the worst the engines out there in the diesel world, in the reliablility department. Best of luck trying to get some power out of it.

I'm not a 6.2 hater, my buddy plows my driveway every year with an old 6.2, its gets the job done just fine. But if he would ask me about performance mods for it I would be honest & tell him to go a diff route. There was no disrepect towards the OP, just stating what would be the least expensive & more productive route. We are all proud of what we drive, but there's nothing wrong with swapping things out to make them better.

Actually he is closer to 500HP and turning up to around 4500-5000RPM's. And I know that the 97+ have the HV water pumps as my 6.5 had one in it from a 97, but the 99.5+ with the spin on fan clutch is a MUCH better pump as it has a more balanced flow to it. The 6.5 isn't a bad engine, and in hindsight I wish I would have left my 6.5 in the BURB. But this is a mostly pro Cummins board, so what else would you expect to hear.

Back