wanting to make 92 6.5 faster

wasn't he the one that put a TON of money into it to make 300 or so horse? I'm not just a "cummins boy" I just don't have any respect for a motor thats best use is a boat anchor. My buddy is a mechanic in the army & he dislikes the 6.5's ALOT more than I do, he said it was "pitiful" how much downtime the Humvee's had becasue of a shoddy powerplant.

Actually he was at 500hp. WHy do you say boat anchor? Because it can't make 400hp with a set of injectors and bigger turbo?

It's funny how people will just absolutely trash-talk and engine that was designed in the late 70's for fuel mileage. Then you get one in a '86 truck that has been ragged out (or your "buddy" does), and you piss and moan on how badly it runs.

Did everyone of you guys all start out on the top? I bet if you were going to buy a car it would have to have a big block. Or a truck would have to be a 1 ton Dually crew cab 4x4.

Let's wait and see. In about 2014, buy a '89 Dodge Ram with a Cummins that has been beat and not maintained it's whole life. Then we can see how much better it is than a old 6.2, even then, you'll be comparing a economy pre-cup engine to a regular LD diesel engine. My guess is that it probably will be a piece of ****, unless you lay down some serious cash for it. Who wants to argue that a bone stock 6.5 TD will run circles around a bone stock 12 valve? Cause it will.

The OP never said he wanted to build a fvckin' 11 sec. drag truck did he? Maybe he got a smokin deal on a everyday work truck and he just asked for a little more power. If he wanted to put a Cummins in it, he probably would have said "Hey, how can I put a Cummins in my 92 Chevy?"

What's the title of the thread again? Damn.

Last edited:
And I'm not trash talking the Cummins. It's a great engine, I've said that already, and your right, everybody knows it.
But alot of people may not need the power that a Cummins IS CAPABLE of. Maybe 250hp will serve this guy just fine. For the everyday-man, 250hp/400ft.lbs in low range can get some **** done. Maybe not as fast as a better engine, but it will get it done none-the-less.

there really is no way to make this truck fast. im with the rest of the guys if you want to make it powerful i would save the money for a motor swap. and between the two motors i have seen a ton of 89 cummins and newer come in with over 300k miles on them and running strong. i have yet to see a 6.5 come in with over 250k. most high milage ones i see have blow by like crazy. thats just what i have seen come through the shop. and trust me trucks around here are not babied. most that come in are farm trucks that have been bashed through the field and the guts pulled out of them.

Actually he was at 500hp. WHy do you say boat anchor? Because it can't make 400hp with a set of injectors and bigger turbo?

It's funny how people will just absolutely trash-talk and engine that was designed in the late 70's for fuel mileage. Then you get one in a '86 truck that has been ragged out (or your "buddy" does), and you piss and moan on how badly it runs.

Did everyone of you guys all start out on the top? I bet if you were going to buy a car it would have to have a big block. Or a truck would have to be a 1 ton Dually crew cab 4x4.

Let's wait and see. In about 2014, buy a '89 Dodge Ram with a Cummins that has been beat and not maintained it's whole life. Then we can see how much better it is than a old 6.2, even then, you'll be comparing a economy pre-cup engine to a regular LD diesel engine. My guess is that it probably will be a piece of ****, unless you lay down some serious cash for it. Who wants to argue that a bone stock 6.5 TD will run circles around a bone stock 12 valve? Cause it will.

The OP never said he wanted to build a fvckin' 11 sec. drag truck did he? Maybe he got a smokin deal on a everyday work truck and he just asked for a little more power. If he wanted to put a Cummins in it, he probably would have said "Hey, how can I put a Cummins in my 92 Chevy?"

Its still a heap of chit. I dont care how nice you put it. The B series was designed in 1980-83 and released in 1984. The mighty 6.2 was released in 1982...the 6.5 in 92. Its not like GM couldn't see the damn trends coming.

The 6.5 is already known for reliability problems, god knows adding hp to it isnt going to help the longevity.

Its still a heap of chit. I dont care how nice you put it. The B series was designed in 1980-83 and released in 1984. The mighty 6.2 was released in 1982...the 6.5 in 92. Its not like GM couldn't see the damn trends coming.

The 6.5 is already known for reliability problems, god knows adding hp to it isnt going to help the longevity.

Very well put! :clap:

I'm not beatin a dead horse anymore, if you guys think the 6.5's are soo great then more power to you, but i want a lil more out of a truck so i'll stick with something that works & keeps my wallet fat.

"wanting to make a 92 6.5 faster" I gave a simple answer on how to make it faster, are you that thick-headed that you can't recognize that as an option to make it faster?? You sure got your panties in a bunch quick.

I dont usually get involved in these debates but a bone stock 6.5 run circles around a bone stock cummins? That is the funniest thing I have heard.

I dont usually get involved in these debates but a bone stock 6.5 run circles around a bone stock cummins? That is the funniest thing I have heard.

I guess then ytour sense of humor is twisted there. My BURB with the 6.5 with just an exhaust would flat out SMOKE a VP pumped CUMMINS and a stock 12 valve didn't stand a snow balls chance agaisnt it. And a mildly built 6.5(all bolt on's) will hang with a stock DURAMAX LB7 with no problems. You guys can beleieve what you want, but there are guys out there playing with these old dinosaurs with some pretty impressive results. Will a 6.5 ever be able to do what a CUMMINS can be built to do, NO. CAn it be built to hang with trucks that cost twice as much as it, YES. If you want true actual feedback about the old 6.2/6.5's and what there limitations are, head over to thetruckstop.us and do some reading. Here all you will hear is drop a CUMMINS in it as that is the only real motor out there.

A stock 6.5 will NOT run with a stock vp powered truck!! I had a stock 6.5 an run it against my brothers stock vp44 an he whooped the 6.5 perty bad!! An it had 4 in. exhuast on it!!

I guess then ytour sense of humor is twisted there. My BURB with the 6.5 with just an exhaust would flat out SMOKE a VP pumped CUMMINS and a stock 12 valve didn't stand a snow balls chance agaisnt it. And a mildly built 6.5(all bolt on's) will hang with a stock DURAMAX LB7 with no problems. You guys can beleieve what you want, but there are guys out there playing with these old dinosaurs with some pretty impressive results. Will a 6.5 ever be able to do what a CUMMINS can be built to do, NO. CAn it be built to hang with trucks that cost twice as much as it, YES. If you want true actual feedback about the old 6.2/6.5's and what there limitations are, head over to thetruckstop.us and do some reading. Here all you will hear is drop a CUMMINS in it as that is the only real motor out there.

If there so great then why did you drop a Durmax in your BURB? sense for less money you could have made it run with a stock Durmax.:umno:

Sorry then. Guess I have only been around 6.5s not running correctly cause I never met one that could pull any reasonable load.

you seen the guy who started this thread hasnt replied to it for a while.....:poke:

Yeah I know for a fact that isn't true!

Do you really beleive the stuff your saying?

A stock 6.5 will NOT run with a stock vp powered truck!! I had a stock 6.5 an run it against my brothers stock vp44 an he whooped the 6.5 perty bad!! An it had 4 in. exhuast on it!!

AGREED!!

If there so great then why did you drop a Durmax in your BURB? sense for less money you could have made it run with a stock Durmax.:umno:

:eek:wned:

Sorry then. Guess I have only been around 6.5s not running correctly cause I never met one that could pull any reasonable load.

Nah they're all that way

Did they know you were racing?

I've seen a stock 6.5 be out pulled by 4.6L FORD MODULAR V8. Same load, same weather, same hill.

My number 1 reason for doing a DURAMAX in my BURB is I build custom trucks and engines for everybody else and I felt I needed something truly custom for myself. I nhindsight I regret dropping teh DURAMAX in it and wish I would have just built my 6.5 up instead. And yes the CUMMINS knew what was going on, and no he didn't stand a chance. A good running 6.5 can get out pretty good, despite what those with the more modern engines believe.

Here's one for all you haters, this is EXACLTY the same thing your doing:

"I've seen a 12 valve not start. Their JUNK!!" "I've seen a common rail meltdown, thier JUNK!!"

You guys can give example after example of a 6.2/6.5 with problems. Especially, like I said before, a ragged out 84 chevy with a 6.2. Or a high mileage 6.5 truck in a HD3500 carrying 10,000lbs all the time. THEY WERE NEVER DESIGNED TO MAKE POWER LIKE THE OTHER BIG THREE!!!!!!!!!! Stop comparing them!!!!

ROachie, I've seen a stock 12 valve get outran by a CAMRY. Big deal. Your comparison's don't mean a thing. A ford 4.6 will stomp a mudhole in a stock 12 valve. You of all people should know that, your a 12 valve guru. You know as well as anybody else that a stock 12 valve is about as fast as a turd sliding down the toilet.

Nobody ever said that a 6.2/6.5 was a better, faster, more reliable, more powerful,etc. etc. diesel engine than a cummins. Go back through this whole mess and find it, I dare you.

I've had them all, so I can compare. And my beat down old chevy truck with a N/A 6.2, th400, 4x4, with 4:10's will walk all over a STOCK 12 valve in a race. Not a pull, a race. What does this mean, really nothing. But for you guys to say that they are all junk and none of them have ever ran good is just Bull****. Hate them if you feel the need to, but don't spread false information.

TwistedApache, not everybody wants to put a cummins in every vehicle. If you had a Suburban, had the ability and money, know how to repair, would you honestly put a cummins in it instead of the Duramax? Tell the truth now. Not everybody has a hard-on for the Cummins, you do, and that's cool. But don't trash something else just because it's not what you like. Your better than that.

We've done a classic CompD job of killing this thread. I don't care what anyone says, I saw a Semi get a holeshot on a common rail once, that must mean that all common rail's are junk. Plus I've replaced 4 of them in trucks that had meltdowns. So are they JUNk? Hell no, they were abused.
Peace out guys, it's the internet, relax.

Here's my 98 12 valve 1 ton. Piece of **** truck wears out back tires constantly, and I just put $2400 in the trans I built myself. JUNK!!!! right?
pict1781.jpg
By null at 2010-04-18[/IMG]

Haloman, I had one of those gay shirts like in your avatar, it ripped on the sleeve once, when i was working on my Cummins. Pfffft, POS shirt, I guess at 17 yrs. old I didn't know any better!!
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Wow. You sure are special. The internets are serious business. Get on it boy!!!!!

ROachie, I've seen a stock 12 valve get outran by a CAMRY. Big deal. Your comparison's don't mean a thing. A ford 4.6 will stomp a mudhole in a stock 12 valve. You of all people should know that, your a 12 valve guru. You know as well as anybody else that a stock 12 valve is about as fast as a turd sliding down the toilet.

Did you miss the part where I said PULL?

Where the hell are you getting this stock 12v race chit? I'm talking about their use as a damn truck. I have yet to hear of a stock B series **** its guts on the road in stock form.

Damnit, its junk, I know it, you know it, and the American people know it.

high toned sob-
you know if you cut several inches of the 90 to your stacks you wont see all that flex pipe? unless your going for the junk look

Back