wanting to make 92 6.5 faster

Oops, you are in Jeffensonville, not West Jeff.
There is a shop out in Jeffersonville I talked to a guy about a 8 cyl. inline P-Pump I'm looking for. I can't remember the name of the place, but I think it's like a rebuild/salvage type place for Heavy Equipment.

a 6.5 in stock form is BARELY faster than a 350 vortec.....a 350 vortec wont touch a stock 12 valve or a stock 24 valve......you guys do the math....

i swear i thought only for owners were this delusional about their beloved powerjokes....if you HONESTLY believe that a 6.5 with an intake and exhaust will even come CLOSE to a stock LB7 duramax in a race there is an icon in the top right corner of your screen....please feel free to click on it and then go to your nearest tree care business and ask them to put you feet first into a wood chipper......that is all

A 350 Vortech (vin "R") will stomp a Cummins in a race. You must be thinking of a older 350 TBI. They are slugs. Compare a 6.5 to a 454 TBI only with ALOT better mileage.

Chris do you work at that shop on I-71 that doesn't have any sides? A bunch of new/used heavy equipment? I think it's befor you get to R&L carriers.
It's on the east side of the interstate around Jeffersonville area. I pass it all the time on the way to Cincy.
mike

Oops, you are in Jeffensonville, not West Jeff.
There is a shop out in Jeffersonville I talked to a guy about a 8 cyl. inline P-Pump I'm looking for. I can't remember the name of the place, but I think it's like a rebuild/salvage type place for Heavy Equipment.

We are in Jeffersonville, by the outlet mall and the Flying J....but our shop has sides on it??

My Uncle has a store down by R&L that does a lot of Deere stuff.

I have a core 8 cylinder pump off a Deutz V8, but I don't know that I've ever talked to anyone about it.
Chris

This is pretty sad guys. This kid came here looking for some help and all he got was jumped on. I hope the Mods are paying attention to this because its things like this that bring the site down.

This is pretty sad guys. This kid came here looking for some help and all he got was jumped on. I hope the Mods are paying attention to this because its things like this that bring the site down.

huh??????
oh yea wat he needds is a smoke switch!!!

There are some mods out there for your truck but you will not see huge gains. To get big numbers out of a 6.5 is expensive but to just get better performance and mileage gains it is possible. Start out by doing basic maintence then work your way up to hard parts.

I think the mods need to investigate a user with two login names! LOL :hehe: :bang :doh:

I sent a letter to the mods lastnight befor i posted here. Had issues loging into this account my original. As you can see the issues were resolved.

this was the first chat i read on this site and i must say this feels like home lol eveyone getting mad and screeming while there is a 16 year old standing in the corner thinking to himself so this is why dad didnt want me to work on diesels THERE ALL CRAZZZZYYYY

this whole conversation is ridiculous. I'm embarresed for the original op who just wanted help..

Well since you have the 1992 6.5, you are in LUCK! I'm hoping its turbo charged instead of the N/A. But anyways first things first is to get yourself a set of boost and pyrometer gauges. I did 40hp marine injectors, adjustable wastegate and turned the fuel screw up all the way in my old rig. Only the years 1992-1993 had the mechanical 6.5. But with those mods, you will be VERY impressed with the power gains and still have reliability. I went 50,000 miles on that setup until my motor dropped a valve seat. PM me if you need any other help!

there really is no way to make this truck fast. im with the rest of the guys if you want to make it powerful i would save the money for a motor swap. and between the two motors i have seen a ton of 89 cummins and newer come in with over 300k miles on them and running strong. i have yet to see a 6.5 come in with over 250k. most high milage ones i see have blow by like crazy. thats just what i have seen come through the shop. and trust me trucks around here are not babied. most that come in are farm trucks that have been bashed through the field and the guts pulled out of them.

well I just sold a burb with a 6.5td in it that had 400k miles on the 6.2 that was in it and still running strong (relative) until the heads cracked. the 6.5td was a heck of a lot more powerful (relative) and with a tuned pump and injectors and a fresh head gasket would pull better then the same rig with a 454 the problem comes when you up the HP, heat even with dual tstats and HV water pump and a much larger radiator you cant keep it cool.I invested a lot of money to try and make a tow rig out of it but finally gave up*bdh* .going over the grape vine @35 mph wasnt getting it for me:nail: I bought a cummins that can take the same load @ 80 mph:ft: and gets 2x better mpgs the 6.5 is what it is old school and can be made reliable I took my 6.5 sub many many times down the tip of Baha and Mexico and if it had issues it was an easy fix I bought my 6.5td from peninsular Diesel, there making 400+ hp 6.5 for marine use but, they have all the water in the world to cool them! my .02 good luck with yours

Having owned and blown up a 6.5 maybe my input will be a little less obnoxious than everyone elses. First things first, go hit up a forum like dieselplace that has a good 6.5 following. They are not bad motors, they are probably just better suited for a half ton and its really tough to compare a 6.5 to the 12valves and evem 7.3 idi's which were both used in medium duty applications.

I had a 93 for a long time and i still to this day miss that truck alot. It would get hot towing other pickups and small tractors, but it was a fantastic daily driver. I sold the truck to my brother in law( well now he is my brother in law, at that point we were just buddies and i hadn't even started banging his sister yet LOL) who turned the fuel screw into the stop, advanced the timing as far as it would go, wired the waste gate shut and proceeded to abuse the thing for a year until i bought it back and put some gauges in it. Another year and a half of me pummeling it and it broke a connecting rod. I dumped in a short block out of a 98, made an adjustable waste gate actuator, dialed it in for about 14lbs max, turned the fuel screw down to about 1/2 turn over stock and she always ran well and got around 18-20 mpgs.

IMHO, a mechanical pump 6.5 is a great diesel pickup for a young kid, simple to work on, making it excellent for an entry level diesel mechanic that wants to tinker and turn it up a little bit. It'll be economical for all the running around and miles young kids tend to rack up, it will adequately haul medium sized loads. If junior pukes a motor because he tinkered a little to hard used 6.5s can be found pretty cheap.

Now if you want to talk whats faster, my 6.5 would absolutely annihilate a stock 24v. For you guys who dont remember what driving a stone stock un modded 2nd gen and older cummins is like, while they are hard pullers, they are noticeably slower than a 4 cylinder s-10 pickup.

Seems like the 6.2/6.5 is the VE of Cummins world. Slow stock, good mileage, can't pull chit. But a few adjustments gets them going.

I drove a 6.5L for awhile in a regular 3500 with a heavy dump bed on it. We would gross nearly 15k at times. It was a dog but it kept going. I just noticed it in the shop getting new tires today, after 9 years of me leaving the place.

Back