Dodge 1500 EcoDiesel

This past weekend a buddy of mine hooked his 2016 EcoDiesel to the sled. It's bone stock. He would have placed 4th out of 13 if his pull wasn't considered a demo pull since it was against the 6500lb local gas trucks. His weight was 6490lbs and he didn't even bother airing down at all. He pulled in low and hit 3rd gear and thinks he would have pulled better if he shifted it quicker off the line.
I thought some of you might appreciate this.

Not necessarily looking to add extra hair dryers, I DD this truck, 1k miles a week most weeks, so some better fuel economy and not having to fill a second tank would be helpful. I see that PPEI does tuning and flo-pro has exhaust for them, as of now for the pair it is not too hateful. I will have to keep an eye out for it to either go on sale, or have a package deal. The worst part is having to send out your ECU and having the vehicle down for a week or so.
If you talk to the right people, a package can happen. If everything is arranged, next day your ecu, 2 days tops, next day back. Done within a business week.

So these past two mornings on my way to work (90 miles, 65 interstate rest two lane) I have not had heat above 45 mph. Looking online it appears that this not really a common problem but a few have had the problem and to fix it they had to replace the fuse and relay box, part number 68212474AD for a 2014. The AC stays on and pushes the cold air in instead of the hot air from the heater core. Below 45 MPH I have plenty of heat, enough to run me out of the truck. I am waiting on a call back from the dealer to find out if this is covered under warranty or if I am SOL since the truck currently has 76.5k on on it and will have 77k before the weekend when I would be able to work on it.

The one thing I am going to try tonight is to put the cold weather front on the truck and see if that helps.

So more information to add. Checked the truck over on Tuesday night electrically and could not get it to give me any heat. I could not find the cold weather front for it before I was too fed up to give a crap and said screw it. No heat on the way to work on Wednesday after I started on the road, was nice and warm in the driveway but as soon as I got driving I lost all heat.

On the way home on Wednesday I got a warming light for high coolant temp, it was at 240*, pulled over and let it cool down, looked it over and it was low on coolant. Bought coolant and added 3/4 gallon to get it to full and then the temp went down and stayed in check. I also now had heat. Called dealer to make an appointment as my last oil analysis showed some potassium in the oil, which is caused by coolant. Got home and it was low again so I added the rest of the gallon and the coolant got to normal levels. Checked oil, not high and not milky.

Got out the pressure tester for the radiator and pumped it up to 10 LBS and could almost watch the level in the tank lower of coolant, but can not see any coolant leaking externally at all, everything is dry.

I guess we will see what the dealer has to say on Monday when they look at it. For now I am driving my 06 to and from work, which I hate having to do because of how much wear and tear it puts on her driving almost 200 miles a day.

Dang man, that sucks. Interested to hear what they find. We've got 53k on ours now and it has been a really great truck thus far.

Mine has been a great truck, no issues till this started this week. When I got the oil analysis back two weeks ago I was concerned about the results. I am going to pull a sample this weekend and send it in before I take it to the dealer this weekend so that I hopefully have results back within a few days and see if they match what the dealer has to say.

I have a feeling it is either a head gasket or the oil cooler that went.

Does anyone offer a head stud kit for this motor yet? If it is a head gasket I am going to insist on studs and want to have the information ready to go for the dealer if needed.

My sodium was High on 1 fluke sample.. 06 You have problems,,,, and if you running MS11106 and its finding its way (Coolant) to the lube ask for new engine, MS11106 is loaded with calcium and when (OAT) mixes with Calcium it creates balls of sand that will destroy or shorten engine life considerably.

Here is my most recent oil report. As far as the MS number the truck is BONE stock, I have not changed coolant, trans fluid, anything yet except oil/oil filter/fuel filters.

attachment.php

IF there is in fact coolant in the engine they are going to give me a new engine and whatever the cause was will be replaced/upgraded to not have the issue again.

This is why I waited till I hit 100k for doing a delete etc. I was afraid that with buying a first year run of a new vehicle it would have some issues and I wanted to do everything I could to not have to fight with FCA about warranty.

Attachments

• DAILY DRIVER-092616.jpg
    DAILY DRIVER-092616.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Have seen a couple with a leak from the coolant supply line for the turbo.Very hard to find because its in the valley.

Update from the dealer. They can not find an external leak and need to tear it apart some to try and find the issue. I suspect head gasket, cracked head, or cracked block at a coolant passage. There is no oil in the coolant though. I have already laid ground work for a new engine, depending on what they find today and if they need to go to FCA for approval for more tear down beyond "normal". We will see what they have to say today when they call as I have asked for daily updates.

76,922 miles, hours on engine are 1710 drive and 243 idle when I dropped it off.

I am going to push for a new engine and a new 100k warranty with the engine, shoot for the moon and hope to get something out of it.

Either way I will be deleting, studding, relocating the oil cooler, etc as soon as the warranty is up on it.

Has anyone come up with a fix for the cam gear walking off yet?

Just got a call from the dealer. They were not able to get anything visible today nor were they able to get the level to go down any by driving it a little bit and letting it idle some. FCA wants them to check the EGR cooler tomorrow and see if there is a leak there. The EGR cooler is NOT a warranty part, not surprising they want to check it first before tearing into anything warranty covered.

Oil analysis was mailed today to see what it has to say. I hope to hear back from Blackstone within a week or so.

I'm gonna follow the outcome of this. I picked one of these up two saturdays ago, I love it so far but like all am concerned about it being so new.

Update

EGR cooler is not leaking, which is what I suspected. Dealer asked me to drive it to work today to put miles on it since they can not seem to recreate the problem. Picked it up yesterday and verified with the service manager the level of the coolant. I will check it before I leave work today to see how it looks level wise. I know that when I left my house with it to drop off to them it was about 1/4" higher than it was when i picked it up, but they said it was at that level when they got it and could not make it go down or find the leak.

Dealer service manager seems like a good guy and wants to fix it but FCA wants them to recreate the reason it looses coolant and they can not drive it 200 miles in a day like I do, nor can they drive it a constant speed for 50 miles like I can in the morning.

Hopefully the oil analysis comes back quickly so I can shove that up FCA's rear and make them tear it down and find the issue.

Dang I hope it's not a catastrophic failure that soon. That sucks. I realllly want to try to get into one of these but if its not going to last, I just can't have that kind of money tied up in it. Dangit.

Update

Drove it yesterday and could not tell any coolant went missing, but this was checking it hot vs cold when we checked it at the dealer when I picked it up on Wednesday.

The dealer service rep was told yesterday that FCA will not authorize tear down unless we can recreate the issue. I think the oil analysis will change their mind but I have this sneaking suspicion they will want me to keep driving it to watch coolant levels myself and get out of warranty and try not to have to deal with the issue.

I can assure you that I am not taking this lightly, and I will not just roll over and take it.

06 wait on the OA, I've removed MY motori 3.0 and went Thru the motor. found some problems and fix it Myself.. FCA did reimbursed Me for My efforts $$$.

Back