Trouble in the Green Dealer Camp

bones said:
true but tin that case there is no more massey or white because agco own them to...i have seen the challenger or cat tractors and they are nice they do still have a cat engine in them.i prefer the tracked challengers mtyslef with a a cat motor

Let me lay out the AGCO scene for ya;)

AGCO = Allis, Gleaner Company way back in 1990-1991. Bought White Farm Equipment, and Massey Ferguson, Fendt, Valtra Valmet and SISU Diesel, later Hesston, Farmhand, Glencoe, Sunflow and acquired the worldwide marketing rights the the Challenger brand...NOT CAT, Challenger;);)

Today, there AGCO, MF, and Challenger Wheeled tractors...ALL have AGCO's own SISU Diesel Engine, and the FENDT CVT...both leaders in efficiency! The only thing with CAT engines, is the Track tractors, 4wd's and the Challenger Combines (which are MF's painted Yellow;))

Also, Just FYI...if you don't count the Construction business from Deere & Co, and CNH Global, AGCO Corp is the #1 worldwide Agricultural Mfg. They have more market share, in more countries worldwide than anyone...but here at home, it's a tough job to try and compete with companies that have been around for 100+ years, even with the legacy and traditions of the companies they have acquired!

Sorry 'bout that...but it irritates me when someone doesn't quite have the facts straight about AGCO:D They have some excellent machines, and if you're in the need for something, DON'T hesitate to go drive one...I'll bet you'd like it!

Chris

BTW, Deere has been doing this for a couple years, as have the other Mfg's...Deere just thinks they own the dealer, and that they can do anything they want to. We're a single AGCO store in the middle of Eight Deere stores, and a couple Case IH stores...right now, we're holding our own with good service, keeping parts on the shelf, and by having inventory here to show and sell...it seems simple to us, but the Deere dealer in this area can't seem to handle taking care of a customer, keeping parts in stock, or even having some used equipment to sell...not everyone is looking for new equipment;)

Innovate or die, that's how the business world operates. You can hate the man all you want but when your 401K, pension, or profit sharing plan is not making you money then who are you going to blame it on?

Chris has a good point about providing a good service.

If JD's customers are not getting the service they deserve then they need to look elsewhere for competent dealers. It's easy for the dealers to take parts orders, etc. and ride on the "green" coattails without having to push new products or have the knowledge to help the customer.

And further more, if the next dealer is 30 miles away, are you willing to put up with bad service to save the $12 in fuel and the extra hour round trip of driving time to go an extra 30 miles one way to the other dealer or are you gonna just walk in buy your stuff (or order it) and go on?

4x4dually said:
And further more, if the next dealer is 30 miles away, are you willing to put up with bad service to save the $12 in fuel and the extra hour round trip of driving time to go an extra 30 miles one way to the other dealer or are you gonna just walk in buy your stuff (or order it) and go on?

30 miles is cake...we have customers coming over 100 to come see us;)

There aren't dealers just around the corner for most people anymore...Deere still has more dealers, but most of them are just "stores"

Chris

KBennett said:
If JD's customers are not getting the service they deserve then they need to look elsewhere for competent dealers. It's easy for the dealers to take parts orders, etc. and ride on the "green" coattails without having to push new products or have the knowledge to help the customer.
While this is true Deere doesn't really care about the customer, the dealers are Deere's final customer. The dealer handles all warranty, repair, and sales of the products, not Deere. Their consolidation efferts are all about cost cutting on their part, not better customer service. Deeres goal is to have big dealers that can circulate their inventory so they dont have to have any inventory, then they can close down all their branch houses and fire all the emplyees that worked there, and by having fewer dealers thay can have less territory people so they can eliminate them too, something they have already been doing. We used to get called on every month by the Deere service rep, now we havent seen one in 2 years because they now have to cover 3 states instead of one area. Our dealership has the highest customer satisfaction ratings and we do more dollars of parts sales and service than any other dealer in the territory, yet Deere wants our managment to either sell out or acquire several less popular and less profitable dealerships? The key is how does that benifit our dealership by acquiring another dealership we have been selling against and beating for 40 years? Absorbing their costs certainly isn't going to make our bottom line any better and we wont realy sell anymore as we already have all the big customers in their area so why should we have to spend our money to make Deere happy? Its bull.

KTA-Cummins said:
While this is true Deere doesn't really care about the customer, the dealers are Deere's final customer. The dealer handles all warranty, repair, and sales of the products, not Deere. Their consolidation efferts are all about cost cutting on their part, not better customer service. Deeres goal is to have big dealers that can circulate their inventory so they dont have to have any inventory, then they can close down all their branch houses and fire all the emplyees that worked there, and by having fewer dealers thay can have less territory people so they can eliminate them too, something they have already been doing. We used to get called on every month by the Deere service rep, now we havent seen one in 2 years because they now have to cover 3 states instead of one area. Our dealership has the highest customer satisfaction ratings and we do more dollars of parts sales and service than any other dealer in the territory, yet Deere wants our managment to either sell out or acquire several less popular and less profitable dealerships? The key is how does that benifit our dealership by acquiring another dealership we have been selling against and beating for 40 years? Absorbing their costs certainly isn't going to make our bottom line any better and we wont realy sell anymore as we already have all the big customers in their area so why should we have to spend our money to make Deere happy? Its bull.

We're in a similar situation...only with AGCO...but they don't push as hard as Deere can or will. We do have an advantage...we got here by selling used equipment, and even today we sell more used equipment than we sell AND service the new stuff...let them take it from us:D Less headaches, and there is more opportunity to make money with buying, selling, and trading used equipment nowadays since no one is willing to put the stuff on their lot!

At any given time, we have between 80-100 used tractors from 25-450HP, 50 Used combines, 15-20 Grain carts, and of course, all the little stuff like tillage, headers, hay equipment, and mowers to fill out the lot.
I'd bet the 8 Deere dealer in the area don't have the amount of used equipment that we do...and I'm sure we have more parts in stock (their parts manager for 8 stores is a good friend of ours). We have about $1.5 million in parts on the shelf!

I sure hope things "level out" in the ag dealer community...I've been doing this all my life, which isn't long, but Dad and Grandpa got us here, and I don't intend on giving up anytime soon. It makes for some long hours, the pay's not great, but I sure enjoy every minute of it:D

Whoops...did it again...sorry!
Chris

Why buy a good machine that'll last for years if you can't get parts? I think Deere is making a mistake......

you guys think deere is so bad? NH and pos case is no better even worse I have to deal with a pos new holand dealer for my hay balers what a joke 145 per hr for labor the store have 8 stores can't go now where else. parts are higher. Most of the guys that work at NH don't even speak english.:bang
We run all deere tractor swather I don't like the sales deere does. If your equipment is over 5 years old most of them won't take it but I have no choice I have tryed new holland and junky case. My deere dealer try to keep me running I at the most 1 day down but that just with some of my older equipment the new stuff most of the parts are on hand.
All of the big companies are trying to cut corners get use to it

NH and Case have been in trouble since they were bought by Fiat...get used to that.

If you're Deere dealers is good, with parts in stock, GREAT....you got a good one, that's what matters. A lot of Deere dealers aren't like what you describe...especially in this area.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, it doesn't matter what color you buy, but a good dealer is worth way more than good equipment. You could have the best machine in the world, with a crappy dealer, and you still have crappy equipment. They all break down, it just depend on how your taken care of.

But maybe I'm partial ;)
Chris

heres my case, john deere if not in stock its there the next day, case new holland and ford if not in stock its no sooner than 3 days. this kept us from getting a ford even though it was liked more.

There is hit and miss with every dealer. My boss had his farm tractor stolen and we tested almost everything we could find. All except case, none were close enough or big enough for our purpose. We ended up with NH which blows our old deere away in everything we do. Not only that but looking at machines with only 200 hours on them NH was 15-20k less. Our local dealer has parts and has them there next day if possible. But so far we havent needed anything.

Same thing with my dad. We sold out bolens lawn tractor:badidea: (could have been a pulling tractor) and bough a kubota. Nobody else would bargain or even look at the trade. A kubota dealer in sharon pa 60 miles away hooked us up.

They all have their good and bad, and it will turn into one big pissing match if you want it to. It just seems Deere is at the center of most of these problems.

inline6359 said:
There is hit and miss with every dealer. My boss had his farm tractor stolen and we tested almost everything we could find. All except case, none were close enough or big enough for our purpose. We ended up with NH which blows our old deere away in everything we do. Not only that but looking at machines with only 200 hours on them NH was 15-20k less. Our local dealer has parts and has them there next day if possible. But so far we havent needed anything.

Same thing with my dad. We sold out bolens lawn tractor:badidea: (could have been a pulling tractor) and bough a kubota. Nobody else would bargain or even look at the trade. A kubota dealer in sharon pa 60 miles away hooked us up.

They all have their good and bad, and it will turn into one big pissing match if you want it to. It just seems Deere is at the center of most of these problems.

Good post...Not many dealers in Pa these days, at least not Western PA. We are sending more and more stuff that way every month!

Chris

Good i like to see selection. Alot are going out of buisness because of the prices. I always had a special spot in my heart for case but i liked the agco we drove. We ended up the the NH because of the price, that and the fact it was a 2005, with 200 hours, that only bailed on flat ground and was washed after every use and waxed every season close.

On a side note does NH use cummins? The engine looks familiar but i cannot find any markings. :thankyou2:

Signature600 said:
Let me lay out the AGCO scene for ya;)

AGCO = Allis, Gleaner Company way back in 1990-1991. Bought White Farm Equipment, and Massey Ferguson, Fendt, Valtra Valmet and SISU Diesel, later Hesston, Farmhand, Glencoe, Sunflow and acquired the worldwide marketing rights the the Challenger brand...NOT CAT, Challenger;);)

Today, there AGCO, MF, and Challenger Wheeled tractors...ALL have AGCO's own SISU Diesel Engine, and the FENDT CVT...both leaders in efficiency! The only thing with CAT engines, is the Track tractors, 4wd's and the Challenger Combines (which are MF's painted Yellow;))

Also, Just FYI...if you don't count the Construction business from Deere & Co, and CNH Global, AGCO Corp is the #1 worldwide Agricultural Mfg. They have more market share, in more countries worldwide than anyone...but here at home, it's a tough job to try and compete with companies that have been around for 100+ years, even with the legacy and traditions of the companies they have acquired!

Sorry 'bout that...but it irritates me when someone doesn't quite have the facts straight about AGCO:D They have some excellent machines, and if you're in the need for something, DON'T hesitate to go drive one...I'll bet you'd like it!

Chris

BTW, Deere has been doing this for a couple years, as have the other Mfg's...Deere just thinks they own the dealer, and that they can do anything they want to. We're a single AGCO store in the middle of Eight Deere stores, and a couple Case IH stores...right now, we're holding our own with good service, keeping parts on the shelf, and by having inventory here to show and sell...it seems simple to us, but the Deere dealer in this area can't seem to handle taking care of a customer, keeping parts in stock, or even having some used equipment to sell...not everyone is looking for new equipment;)
sorry for all the mis spelled words in my previous post,i was in a hurry.however i go back with agco back to the allis chalmers days before they were ever duetz allis.i beleive some of your facts are incorrect,via the local cat dealer and the agco dealer sisu is owned by cat not agco.as far as cat combines being mf painted yelllow you must not have ever been in the field with a mf and a cat at the same time.lots of difference,also why doesnt mf have a class 8 combine if they are the same?.also new agco down the road no sisu motor in it....sorry but it irritates me when tsombody doesnt have there facts straight...
on another point i really like how the man that built the sisu engine has his name on the sid of the block...

I remember some years ago JD had the fellas sign blocks but I didn't know Isuzu did that?

Last edited:
bones said:
i beleive some of your facts are incorrect,via the local cat dealer and the agco dealer sisu is owned by cat not agco.

SISU Diesel IS NOT owned by CAT, it is owned by AGCO. CAT owns Perkins;) I've been to the factory in Finland, and have personally seen the big AGCO sign...didn't see anything CAT over there;) Your local dealers need to get their facts straight!

bones said:
as far as cat combines being mf painted yelllow you must not have ever been in the field with a mf and a cat at the same time.lots of difference,also why doesnt mf have a class 8 combine if they are the same?

You are partially correct...CAT combines are built by Lexion, Challenger combines are owned and built by AGCO. I can understand the confusion! Yes, there are distinct differences;) Challenger, MF, and Gleaner also do have a class 8 machine...Challenger 680B, MF 9895, and Gleaner A85!

bones said:
also new agco down the road no sisu motor in it....sorry but it irritates me when tsombody doesnt have there facts straight...
on another point i really like how the man that built the sisu engine has his name on the sid of the block...

I don't know who told you this, but it cannot be farther from the truth. SISU Diesel is here to stay, they are working out great for power, fuel consumption, and serviceability, AND us dealers can work on any part of it we need to. It is much better than having a Cummins engine between the rails....we can't touch those;)
I also like having the name on the side of the block.

Here's a list of AGCO's Brands:
Massey Ferguson
Valtra
Fendt
AGCO Tractors
Challenger
Farmhand
Gleaner
Glencoe
Hesston
LOR*AL
New Idea
RoGator
Spra-Coupe
Sunflower
TerraGator
Tye
White Planters
Willmar
SisuDiesel Engines

Sorry for any misinformation I may have posted, but short of some confusion on brand distinction, I have re-read my posts and cannot find any non-factual information in them.

Chris

called today and checked again and the cat dealers are swearing they own sisu and i looked on the agco myself and no name on the block on the left side like the challengers have...

Back