Trouble in the Green Dealer Camp

No Bluffing

Kman9090 said:
I will also tell you there is no yellow or red tractor that will pull 3 25 yard pans. The most you can pull with them is 3 17-18 yard pans.

Dude,

I dont make things like this up. Sorry to dissappoint 'ya, but I became a believer when I saw it with my own two eyes. $.02

blue is on the attack here in the central valley of ca. Fields are full of new blue and old green and red 80s and down. no good cih dealers around here, green dealer is insulted when you ask how much. Guys in blue want to sell here in ca period we use Garton tractor, about 10-12 dealerships here in the valley, they are great because they will talk to you get you parts treat you like a customer, you wont get that with green and red in the valley, that is garanteed

I would have to see that to beleive it. They must have been in some really good dirt on hard ground. They seem to struggle with the 17 yard reynolds pans when it gets just a little soft. I cant even count how many times we have had 2 or 3 quads or challengers hooked to one to get it out of the mud. Another thing who makes a 25 yard pan setup to run triples I haven't even heard of one? What company was this. Heck the company my Dad works for has D11R's pulling 651 pans and D10's pulling 641 pans. Maybe they should sell them and buy some os these pans.

I'd like to see what tractor can pull 3 25 yard pans at a time. That tractor has got some guts if it does it. I have only seen 3 pans hooked to one tractor one time. They were hooked to a MT800 series track machine. I don't have any idea what size they were. I worked at a deere dealer in north alabama up until bout 2 months ago. We did some work on the big 9000 that pulled pans but not a lot b/c we did not have the pan tractor contract so another dealer did that work. I have run a new 8430 with one 15 yard pan before but never gotten the chance to run a big 9 or big red pullin pans. I went to school in northwest mississippi for 2 years and had 2 friends that worked at the deere dealer in hernado. They had the scraper tractor contract for that area. I got to see a lot of deere and some ih pan tractors. Those tractors take a beating and a half. I know 2 18 yard pans can load a tractor really good no matter wat color it is. If the stuff brakes with jus 2 18 yard pans behind it then i would hate see wat the repair bill would be for a normal tractor that tried to pull 3 25 yard pans. You would have stuff broke all the time. Ain't but one tractor I know of that could pull 3 25 yard pans and that would be the Big Bud 747. Jus my 2 cents worth.

Shoot I have pulled 3 25 yard pans with my Oliver. I have even pulled 2 18 yard pans with my Farmall cub. I got 710R-38 triples on the rear of the Oliver and 24.5-32 duals on the cub.

I was told by some of our friends at John Deere dealers that Deere has sent most of their new equipment over seas to Russia and China. New equipment for USA dealers is a year or more out. Yes there is a consolidation in dealerships going on out here in the Mtn. West area too. Deere built there business here in Noth America. Now it looks like overseas business is more attactive to them now. They now have 7-10 year warranties. You have to buy them when you buy the tractor. You are paying for the future service of the equipment up front when you buy the extended warranty. This is smart on Deere's part because it forces owners to use Deere parts and service only. They seem to have a go it alone attitude now. These are all big changes from what things used to be. Thanks, Brady

I was told by some of our friends at John Deere dealers that Deere has sent most of their new equipment over seas to Russia and China. New equipment for USA dealers is a year or more out. Yes there is a consolidation in dealerships going on out here in the Mtn. West area too. Deere built there business here in Noth America. Now it looks like overseas business is more attactive to them now. They now have 7-10 year warranties. You have to buy them when you buy the tractor. You are paying for the future service of the equipment up front when you buy the extended warranty. This is smart on Deere's part because it forces owners to use Deere parts and service only. They seem to have a go it alone attitude now. These are all big changes from what things used to be. Thanks, Brady

With to dollar down in value as it has been (though it's on the uprise now), that's just the way it is...they make more money building things here, and selling them overseas.

BUT, Russia canceled about 600 combines about 2 months ago...the US economy and farm markets aren't the only ones hurting. Right now, you can get about anything Deere you want, coming from the dealers in this area anyway;)

Big iron is selling...small stuff is dead. The bigger farmers still need to spend money, update machines, etc...the small guys are holding out to see what happens. This is gonna be interesting and tough at the same time...Dad keeps reminding everyone of the early 80's (which I don't remember:hehe:)

Chris

God bless our farmers. Teachers and Farmers SHOULD make more money. The very essence of our existence depends on food and shelter. I believe that food may be too cheap right now. I think that 50 years from now Farmers WILL have the upper hand...... if Big Brother doesn't take over.

And the equipment going to China.... it will be copied and produced in China shortly,much cheaper, just wait and see. :mad:

God bless our farmers. Teachers and Farmers SHOULD make more money. The very essence of our existence depends on food and shelter. I believe that food may be too cheap right now. I think that 50 years from now Farmers WILL have the upper hand...... if Big Brother doesn't take over.

And the equipment going to China.... it will be copied and produced in China shortly,much cheaper, just wait and see. :mad:

Farming has turned into big business. Do some searching, and the next time you have sympathy for a big farmer, do the searching on the net. We have many farmers around indiana that drive mercedes, bmw's etc. You can see that their farms can get 100K-250K in government subsidies per year. Another handout from the government. Now the little guy busts his butt, you know the guy that farms less than 800 acres. I mean how many of these farmers have $250K pulling tractors, etc, etc.

China can copy a tractor...but that doesn't mean people will buy it. Chinese tractors have very little warranty, basically no dealer network, and if you want to buy parts, you have to buy a semi load. My Uncle imports Foton tractors;)

Farming has turned into big business. Do some searching, and the next time you have sympathy for a big farmer, do the searching on the net. We have many farmers around indiana that drive mercedes, bmw's etc. You can see that their farms can get 100K-250K in government subsidies per year. Another handout from the government. Now the little guy busts his butt, you know the guy that farms less than 800 acres. I mean how many of these farmers have $250K pulling tractors, etc, etc.

Yes farming is big business, no argument here. But the guy that has 800 acres get's the same government payments as the big guys, but since the bi guy has more acres, more payment;) Also, just like anything else, the guy farming more acres has more risk, more machinery, more labor involved, and by far more headaches...shouldn't he be able to bake a "better" living?

There are always going to be people taking advantage of the system...that how it is. But there are a lot of honest, big farmers. You can make a very healthy living farming 800 acres if you own it, and manage it properly. Some of my customers farm less than 300 and are doing very well. It's all about management!

Chris

China can copy a tractor...but that doesn't mean people will buy it. Chinese tractors have very little warranty, basically no dealer network, and if you want to buy parts, you have to buy a semi load.
I couldn't agree more.

Yes farming is big business, no argument here. But the guy that has 800 acres get's the same government payments as the big guys, but since the bi guy has more acres, more payment;) Also, just like anything else, the guy farming more acres has more risk, more machinery, more labor involved, and by far more headaches...shouldn't he be able to bake a "better" living?
Very true as well. I wish someone else would assume the risk we have in farming 2500 acres...closer to 3400 next season. The risk, management, and headaches are astronomical. I wish I had just minimum wage for the hours we spend doing paperwork, planning, and on mantinance. Its crazy. Sure, we might only spend 6 or 8 weeks a year in equipment in the field, but there's so much more that goes into those weeks its not funny.
There are always going to be people taking advantage of the system...that how it is. But there are a lot of honest, big farmers. You can make a very healthy living farming 800 acres if you own it, and manage it properly. Some of my customers farm less than 300 and are doing very well. It's all about management!

Chris
Yes, there are "farmers" (read:corporations) that love to milk the system and get every little advantage out if it. They have the money and lawyers backing them to do it. Yes, there are a lot of honest big farmers. There are some of us that actually stand behind what we do for a living, and there are some of us that do it because it's our source of income. Not because we need a tax write off, or need a hobby. We do it because we don't know any other way of life, and we can't imagine leaving the industry we've come to know and support: American agriculture.

Farming is all about the management of what you've got, and how to make it work for you. From the outside it's easy to say, "hmm...they go out and plant in the spring, spray a little in the summer, and harvest in the fall; damn that's a hard life." Yeah I wish it were that easy. I love farming, and I wouldn't ever do anything other than farming. It's sad that this industry, like every other one in America, is being taken over by bigger and bigger farmers. But it's also the way of the future. We saw the light and said, "time to go big or go home." We chose go big, and we've got the infrastructure, and debt, to prove it.

Also, on the original topic of the thread: it's sad that Deere is doing this, but its been coming for a long time. Survival of the fittest is what it's about today. That's the name of the game. Gotta pay to play.

I couldn't agree more.

Very true as well. I wish someone else would assume the risk we have in farming 2500 acres...closer to 3400 next season. The risk, management, and headaches are astronomical. I wish I had just minimum wage for the hours we spend doing paperwork, planning, and on mantinance. Its crazy. Sure, we might only spend 6 or 8 weeks a year in equipment in the field, but there's so much more that goes into those weeks its not funny.

Yes, there are "farmers" (read:corporations) that love to milk the system and get every little advantage out if it. They have the money and lawyers backing them to do it. Yes, there are a lot of honest big farmers. There are some of us that actually stand behind what we do for a living, and there are some of us that do it because it's our source of income. Not because we need a tax write off, or need a hobby. We do it because we don't know any other way of life, and we can't imagine leaving the industry we've come to know and support: American agriculture.

Farming is all about the management of what you've got, and how to make it work for you. From the outside it's easy to say, "hmm...they go out and plant in the spring, spray a little in the summer, and harvest in the fall; damn that's a hard life." Yeah I wish it were that easy. I love farming, and I wouldn't ever do anything other than farming. It's sad that this industry, like every other one in America, is being taken over by bigger and bigger farmers. But it's also the way of the future. We saw the light and said, "time to go big or go home." We chose go big, and we've got the infrastructure, and debt, to prove it.

Also, on the original topic of the thread: it's sad that Deere is doing this, but its been coming for a long time. Survival of the fittest is what it's about today. That's the name of the game. Gotta pay to play.

I grew up farming, my dad was a hobby farmer(he farmed about 200 acres just for fun, had the equipment to farm probably 500) I also worked on a very large farming operation in the summers between college. It was lots of fun, with some hard work in there, no doubt, but I know so many farmers that get every last subsidy they can. Some even have their hired hands apply for the subsidies. I am not blaming the farmers for taking the subsidies, they are there, might as well take them. My point is the guys with a 250K pulling tractor, 3 brand new diesel duallies, 250K house, mercedes in the drive way. Should they be getting the government money? If they were struggling to get by, then let the government help, but driving a mercedes, or getting a brand new truck every year, doesn't sound to me like they need government help. I didn't say if they were broke or not, cause the people that buy the new dually every year, or the new mercedes every year are broke cause they are wasting money, not cause they need it. It is supply and demand. Tarriff imports, the rest of the system will equalize itself out. Too much corn prices will fall, less corn will be produces, corn prices too high more corn will be produced as people get into the business. Now this doesn't take into account a 1 year deal.

Same stuff is going on in the auto industry, housing, etc, etc.

I know as far as the wait on deere equipment goes its a big one. If you order a new deere combine from the factory more than likely the first crop you will get to harvest will be in 2010. Deere reopened combine orderin back in July I think. Within the first half of the day they had sold a little over 200 units. I know there is a wait on planters and air drills. There was also a wait on the 7000 and up series tractors. Its great if you can sell that many jus sucks if you have to wait that long to get anything.

I worked for one of the largest groups of deere dealers in north america. Its what deere wanted so they could all work together like a big happy family. That was a huge lie. The prices tripled on some things and doubled on others. The peaple that run this company are some of the greedest people I've ever seen in my life. The don't care wat anyone has to pay as long as the have brand new loaded yukons and million dollar homes. They have raised all of there shop prices through the roof. I don't see how people can keep paying these prices.

I If they were struggling to get by, then let the government help, but driving a mercedes, or getting a brand new truck every year, doesn't sound to me like they need government help.

I can see how that looks. However, when you are making that kind'a coin it is CHEAPER to get a new truck every year than to pay TAXES on your old truck and keep it. We are talking write-offs here. You are only allowed 'x' amount of depreciation per Item. Fence...great, that make take 15 years to write-off but it doesn't cost that much. A tractor might take 5 or 10 years but costs a whole lot more. If you make money Uncle Sam WANTS most of it. If you can prove 'expense' then Uncle Sam can't take as much. It's a silly TAX game that most people have no clue about. .....Have you seen a business sell anything that was not old or well used? There is a reason for that. Think about all the tractors (equipment) that business tade-in rather than sell.

There are reasons for these things. Then again, some folks don't know what the hell they are doing and just buy, buy, buy...till they're broke. :rockwoot:

Having lived in the Mississippi Delta for a majority of my life where farming "king" cotton, 'beans, corn, rice, milo, winter wheat, IS LIFE by itself...

driving down the Delta highways & back roads.... when you see equipment in the filed the vast majority (50 h.p. and up) is Case/International with JD in a close second.

Kubota, JD, Case/Int, MF make up the small tractor line up on the home/hobby/hunting camp usage (50 H.P. and below).

As for AGCO..... there is one dealer I am aware there in the Delta that has been in the same location, just south of Carey, MS for as long as I have been alive (32 years). It's burned to ground twice, nearly blown away by a tornado, gone bankrupt several times because there is just no business, and probably changed hands more times than you can count. To the best of my knowledge it is still there. In the '80s there were several Glenear combines lurking around but they have since been replaced by RED and GREEN and even a few YELLOW machines. CLAAS Commanders even made a breif stint. No one seemed to like those because repair manuals were only availabe written in German and parts were hard to come by.

On a personal note......... I never saw a John Deere that COULD NOT BE OUT-DONE by an International. The absolute, toughest tractor I ever operated was a '70s 1066 Turbo IH with duals and a bulldozer blade. With that turbo spooled up, there was not a tree (or it's root system) that was safe from that machine. I must report (sadly) that it died 3-5 years ago while running a P.T.O. driven irrigation well. Late one afternoon, it slung a rod through the block hitting the fuel & oil filters (can't remember witch) caught fire, and burned to the ground. Though it cannot be confirmed because the hour meter broke several years ago and never fixed, it is believed to have had between 7000 and 10,000 operating hours at the time of the fire with out ever having one engine overhaul. NEVER SAW a JD that could even come remotely close.:eek:wned:

I cant remember the exact numbers, but my great uncle(teddy bears grandaddy) has a 2940JD he bought new. Im thinking it has like 11k hours with no overhaul, or maybe it was overhauled at 11k. Either way it has been a darn tough tractor that lived its life on a dairy.

I love the old 1066IH's, but im pretty partial to a JD too. We have a 4320JD. It shows over 6k hours but im betting it has more. Its getting a little worn, but its a pretty stout old tractor. Id put it against an international of comparable HP ratings.

I can see how that looks. However, when you are making that kind'a coin it is CHEAPER to get a new truck every year than to pay TAXES on your old truck and keep it. We are talking write-offs here. You are only allowed 'x' amount of depreciation per Item. Fence...great, that make take 15 years to write-off but it doesn't cost that much. A tractor might take 5 or 10 years but costs a whole lot more. If you make money Uncle Sam WANTS most of it. If you can prove 'expense' then Uncle Sam can't take as much. It's a silly TAX game that most people have no clue about. .....Have you seen a business sell anything that was not old or well used? There is a reason for that. Think about all the tractors (equipment) that business tade-in rather than sell.

There are reasons for these things. Then again, some folks don't know what the hell they are doing and just buy, buy, buy...till they're broke. :rockwoot:

You can argue it until your blue in the face, the farmers I worked for, I saw it with my own eyes, and then saw the money they got from the government. I know of guys that I worked with that were farmers and were having employees take the write offs. Then tell me that it makes since to pay people not plant stuff. I have neigbors at my current residence that have land that is not suitable for farming, and they have it in the pic program. Then try to justify the $250K pulling tractor, or the $150K pulling truck. I am just saying the subsidies don't need to be there.

I cant remember the exact numbers, but my great uncle(teddy bears grandaddy) has a 2940JD he bought new. Im thinking it has like 11k hours with no overhaul, or maybe it was overhauled at 11k. Either way it has been a darn tough tractor that lived its life on a dairy.

Yep. Its closer to 12,000 hrs. now with no overhaul. It hasnt been babied either.

Back