Electric impacts

If you want a cordless 1/2" get ingersoll rands new one. It puts out the same as their 1/2" titanium impact. the down side is it only comes with one battery.

Dewalt or Makita impacts are the standard...don't waste your time with anything else...corded or not.

Snap On....puke.

Ordinarily I would agree, but the impacts from snap-on are fantastic. I have used my 3/8" one to take the lugs off of my truck before. I have a dewalt 1/2" corded impact and I wouldn't trust it to tighten a 1/4 inch bolt. Now my dewalt cordless drill is going on 15 years old, and short of replacing the batteries after 13 years or so is still going.

Yeah, cordless ones tend to run more $$$, plus you gotta get batteries and a charger, and it seems like no one can really tell how long the batteries will last. And if you're on a big project, and the batteries die, then you gotta wait for recharge. I've always been a huge fan of corded drills too.

And for the record, anything with snap-on on it will never be seen in my garage LOL My salary doesn't support it.

Mine charge in about 15-20 min. or so. I never have to wait on a charge, but I have 2 guns, and 6 batteries.

Ok, if I do swing back over to air, can anything beat this for price? (and still be decent quality?

Ingersoll-Rand 1/2 in. Quiet Composite Impactool - Tools - Air Compressors & Air Tools - Impact Wrenches

Saw them at http://www.tptools.com/

They have in house deals and some killer sale prices. There was a Quincy normal 799 for 299 cause it sat there for a year. They build blast cabinets and make a hvlp paint system. Skat Blast is them. Awesome company located in canfield Ohio.

Anyone use this:

http://www.tptools.com/p/2295,214_TP-Tools%C2%AE-ProLine-1and2-Air-Impact-Wrench.html

Last edited:
Ordinarily I would agree, but the impacts from snap-on are fantastic. I have used my 3/8" one to take the lugs off of my truck before. I have a dewalt 1/2" corded impact and I wouldn't trust it to tighten a 1/4 inch bolt. Now my dewalt cordless drill is going on 15 years old, and short of replacing the batteries after 13 years or so is still going.

Almost all my tools are Snap On, so I'm a bit biased.

Regardless...
The 1/2" Snap On, took out M22 wheel bolt here on a combine, and those wheel bolts were tightened w/ IR 3/4" air gun @ 90psi. So granted not super crazy tight, but still impressive!

I agree, head the air route. I got in the game cheap, and my setup has been great. I got the Husky 30 gallon compressor for around $369 (way more balls than that Craftsman) and a good warranty. Then I went to Lowes; they have an IR set with an impact and 3/8 air ratchet with some standard impact sockets for under $150 Get a decent hose and you're in bid-ness, and the compressor runs off a house plug too, so you can put it anywhere and take it with you to the track if you want.

I have access to Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita, and Bosch electrics at work and my budget air setup is so much more powerful it's ridiculous.

if you go the air route get the IR titanium 1/2". i use it for everything, even when most would grab a 3/4". 1100 ftlbs is hard to beat out of a 1/2" gun. for the price and that anything i have IR i get rebuilt or fixed for free through work, i have two of them LOL. you cant beat it, even their new electric one is great so far.

If you want a cordless 1/2" get ingersoll rands new one. It puts out the same as their 1/2" titanium impact. the down side is it only comes with one battery.

My Matco dealer had them on sale with a spare battery right at $600. I know my 1/2 Matco will completely strip a 5.9 down to bare block on one battery.

I wouldn't get a tp tools air gun. They are rated at 500 which in my opinion is weak. Like I said before eBay and used guns. I just picked up a snapon mg725 1/2 gun which is rated at 810 ft/lbs and paid 190 shipped for it. It has like 2 scratches on it in the pics.

My Matco dealer had them on sale with a spare battery right at $600. I know my 1/2 Matco will completely strip a 5.9 down to bare block on one battery.

i get them through work a heck of a lot cheaper than that. my Mac dealer had one on his truck for $500 i believe and i got the same thing through my work for less than $400.

Hell I used a Milwaukee impact bit driver with a 1/2 adapter to tear one down....got everything on one battery except the rod bolts. Mains were cake, rods not so much.

One of my mechanics Snap-On wouldn't do it either....had to break out the air.

Chris

I would get the newer one that other one looks a little rough.

Thats what I was thinking.

Any idea for the compressors? Unless someone speaks up, I'm gonna go with the sears one. But that extra hp would be nice. Someone mentioned a husky compressor, but I can't remember where I saw them for sale.

That one should do fine. that is the smallest I would use. Don't know if you could find a bigger one cheaper or not. I have been looking around for one that is broke for cheap. Most of the time its just a bad head gasket and they don't want to fix it.
I personally would want a 30 gal our more for everything I would do at the house, or add a second tank in the system to have the added volume

Last edited:
That one should do fine. that is the smallest I would use. Don't know if you could find a bigger one cheaper or not. I have been looking around for one that is broke for cheap. Most of the time its just a bad head gasket and they don't want to fix it.
I personally would want a 30 gal our more for everything I would do at the house, or add a second tank in the system to have the added volume

All I'd be using is the impact and airing up tires, using the air nozzle thing to blow dirt out of stuff, etc....

I was thinking about the extra tank as well. I could always buy another tank and just put it inline. The pump might not like it but it wouldn't have to run as often either.

Back