'98 Dodge 4bt/47rh Build

very nice build, what gear ratios are in axles, did you use the 46re cooler, are its inlet an outlet the same diameter as the 47rh cooler, if not it could be a problem, the rh or larger cooler is my preference

very nice build, what gear ratios are in axles, did you use the 46re cooler, are its inlet an outlet the same diameter as the 47rh cooler, if not it could be a problem, the rh or larger cooler is my preference

3.55 gears and yes

and I used 3/8" braided lines to the 46re cooler. And seeing how at an ambient temp of 50F outside, but it wont come over 100F on the highway, I am not concerned. My engine coolant gauge hardly reads over 160F so the heat exchanger in the radiator really isnt doing much. I got stuck in the snow bank a while back and only got the trans up to 160F. And that was reving back and forth from drive to reverse...

In theory, the fluid should pass through the 46re cooler at a slightly quicker rate due to passages being smaller in diameter. But it doesn't appear Im making near enough power to warm up this 47rh with fresh clutch material, low stall converter, shift kit, and deep pan. Actually considering removing the deep pan to help get my temps up to operating temp more often to help with the overall lubrication

Jake

Last edited:
I am no trans expert, I have seen one damaged by using a cooler more restrictive than stock, it might be worth a chat with one

Took my first decent trip with it this morning.
234.4 miles/10.03 gallons= 23.37mpg at 70mph and some traffic.

And I'm still not worried I guess. 47rh has 8k since the rebuild with a new oil pump to push ATF through the cooler. Judging by my temps and not having any converter issues I should be alright. But I have been wrong before will certainly post up if I have any issues to help anyone else avoid the mistake

Do you have anymore pictures of the motor mounts you used.

I used stock chevy van mounts on the block side and welded 3/8" plate for the frame side. This let me use the liquid mounts from chevy vans
Problems I ran into- I decided to use the front mounting location since the starter was in the way on the drivers side, but this put it over the front differential. I added 3/4ton springs to make sure I had enough clearance though, made for a nice leveling kit haha

Jake

PS- not sure why the image code from photobucket wont work......... Just click on the text
[ame="http://s1145.photobucket.com/user/moochoff/media/photo-50.jpg.html"]photo-50.jpg Photo by moochoff | Photobucket[/ame]
[ame="http://s1145.photobucket.com/user/moochoff/media/photo-47.jpg.html"]photo-47.jpg Photo by moochoff | Photobucket[/ame]
[ame="http://s1145.photobucket.com/user/moochoff/media/photo-49.jpg.html"]photo-49.jpg Photo by moochoff | Photobucket[/ame]
[ame="http://s1145.photobucket.com/user/moochoff/media/photo-52.jpg.html"]photo-52.jpg Photo by moochoff | Photobucket[/ame]

Last edited:
I have a mpg update for some of the forum savages here ;)

Still no I/C yet but- mileage has been awesome when I slow down and the motor has had a chance to warm up before filling. I've taken 2 small trips about an hour each way. I have Pics of my odometer readings and pump readings for proof too :)

I logged 27.5mpg going south from wilmont mn to spirit lake ia. And today from spirit lake ia to worthington mn, 29.25mpg!

These were both flat roads at 55-60mph tops and mostly interstate. Kinda surprised I wasnt shot on the 4 lane lol

Jake

That's nice mileage!
Thanks
what rpm are you at 60mph

Just a hair over 1500rpm at 55 and according to compd's rpm calculator Im close to 1640rpm at 60mph with 30" tires and the 47rh and 3.55 rearend...

I think by the time I get my I/C and CAI filter on Ill need new tires, which I'm switching to 33"/285s. Will probably kill any chance of ever hitting 30mpg lol

Update :)
Slapped in the '97 intercooler, h1c/12cm, fuel screw 3/4 turns from runaway. Got another 1k miles on and am still averaging 22-23mpg round trips to work... So I probably lost 1-2mpg with upgrades, but I have soo much more torque to pass on the hwy and get around in traffic which is awesome and totally worth it!
41EA4580-C46F-4EF1-A503-6FED688E1038-664-000000712BC572BF_zps3ddb09ab.jpg

C301EA45-07BC-4F15-A2BB-ACF84B7BAEB3-664-00000070CC1F44AE_zps44def185.jpg

This where I welded the washers on for upright cooler mounts made out of all thread :)
B778F085-C86F-4858-BB02-1A1BE520AD4A-4825-000003A8E168C2ED_zpsfec5ebec.jpg

Last edited:
Oooo, make sure that bad boy won't vibrate and break off! any support of the bottom I hope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oooo, make sure that bad boy won't vibrate and break off! any support of the bottom I hope?

Yep :)

Welded on feet supports for the weight, then after it was resting on them I tacked the washers on and torqued the all thread down to keep the back and forth motion under control. After it was torqued, I had to shave back the left over all thread. IC probably sits 3" further back than that pic since the grill was a tight fit

And this truck does vibrate! found the top motor mount nut on the drivers side was loose today. Musta missed it when I did loctite rounds!

Last edited:
Yep :)

Welded on feet supports for the weight, then after it was resting on them I tacked the washers on and torqued the all thread down to keep the back and forth motion under control. After it was torqued, I had to shave back the left over all thread. IC probably sits 3" further back than that pic since the grill was a tight fit

Good. That oughta work.

Well pretty much anything that moves is getting pulled out and dropped in a 88 YJ this spring... In parts mode but the dodges days are numbered

Jake

Back