'98 Dodge 4bt/47rh Build

If u took 2000lbs off this one and made it 2wd as well it might get more! Lmao

Anyways..... I took the drive shafts off the 1500 hoping the splines would mate up with the new transfercase on the 47rh. 32 teeth on the slip yoke and it slipped right in! The front shaft also bolted right on

Now I wont have to worry about finding and mating 2500 shaft ends and that mess.
Going to see how it sits on the trans crossmember to see if I can just leave it where it is or if it will need to be scooted one way or the other. My motor should ship today also
photo-7.jpg

Update.. Didn't make much progress tonight due to other things going on, but I pulled the crossmember the rest of the way out and set the 47 on it to make sure it also fits. Also finished painting her.

Ordered 3/8" fuel line and picked up another haynes manual this afternoon.
photo-8.jpg

photo-10.jpg

The crossmember has slotted holes for the mounting bolts which should come in handy for the custom driveshafts and motor placement
photo-9.jpg

Trans and shafts

Well I got the tranny mocked up and angled the best way I think it will sit on the crossmember. Which was a complete PITA to get back in there!!!!!!
I lost all the needle bearings out of the u joints when I was moving the shafts around on the ground. Probably not a bad idea to change ujoints anyway since chassis has 167k on it.

Im worried that my driveshaft measurements may get screwed if I need to move the drivetrain to accomodate for the 4bt clearance.

I had to lift the truck up to clear the 47rh on a motorcycle lift (better than a floor jack I guess)
photo-13.jpg

Front shaft needs lengthened 5.25" (as of now)
photo-17.jpg

Rear shaft needs shortened 4.25" Im hoping to have a little more room for error on the rear due to the slip yoke having such a long spline mating to the tcase
photo-18.jpg

Motor is boxed and shipping tomorrow :D

So it's been a few days and I've been patiently waiting for my 4bt to ship. In the mean time, I torched off the 360 mounts and grinded down the burs on the frame. I have also been waiting on my driveshafts getting cut just so I can make sure my motor is going to sit where I think it will. Finally got it in and I just had time to power wash and clean it up a little bit.

JakeDiesel- I got few q's for ya!

-did you flip your 4bt exhaust manifold or did you buy a 6bt and cut it to clear your firewall?
-do you have a pic of your motor mount handy? If not I would even take a phone picture to my cell too... I got the original motor mounts but they are tiny and only like 1/2" thick, nothing like the ones I've seen on 4bt swaps.
-I'll have a couple more this weekend yet! Thanks again man

And of course a couple more update pics.. :D

47rh waiting, 360 mounts torched and ground
photo-22.jpg

New to me 4bt
photo-19.jpg

Another
photo-20.jpg

4bt motor mounts look like they would shake the truck to pieces..... Still need ideas for custom mounts, opinions are very welcomed.
photo-24.jpg

photo-23.jpg

Long time no see :D

So after fighting a broken off exhaust bolt in the head and using every cuss word in my vocabulary. There is still part of the bolt that is completely seized. Twisted off 3 nuts that were welded to it. Broken 2 good sized EZ outs, and now the ez outs are just catching on the threads from the head and not on the bolt anymore.
photo_zps63398558.jpg

Painted the manifold with the engine paint from the trans, well see if it sticks or not...

I also modified my fuel pump cannister so I shouldnt have to drill for a draw straw. I cut off a section of hard fuel line and rigged it up to sit a little more than 1/16" off the bottom of the tank for my straw then coupled it to the bottom of the regulator. the 3/8" line pushes right on the regulator nipple.
photo_zps1c8343d7.jpg

I got my ISSPRO gauges (trans, egt, fuel psi) in and started to rig up the tranny temp sensor. I got a deep pan since im gonna try to use the smaller 46re cooler.
photo_zps7e5bfda2.jpg

And this is why I will always be considered to be a "shade tree" mechanic lol. Only got one good mouthful to empty the tank :doh:
photo_zps556d76b9.jpg

Well after waiting 19 days for my liquid mounts, huge USPS fail....

I am working on cutting and welding my mounts. I have been keeping better updates on CF and dodgeforum if anyone is still following

You know, 12v cummins mount would have hung that 4b right in the frame with no frame mods.

You know, 12v cummins mount would have hung that 4b right in the frame with no frame mods.

The transmission would have been too far forward for it's crossmember, oil pan wouldn't clear axle/crossmember, and the weight distrubution would be even worse than its going to be now. Let alone the extra vibrations that come from a 4bt that dont come from the 5.9 would be transfered through those mounts where liquid filled will let the 4bt shake and not affect the rest of the rig

I will try and grab one tonight, Its still doesnt have a down pipe but sounds great

I know Im getting frustrated, Im having charging issues, atf leak, and my overdrive pressure switch isnt adjustable. Not that exciting when OD kicks in at 30 lol

Illl put up a video tonight after work

Well I can't keep my turbo boot from popping off at full boost. The 4B isn't much of a burnout machine lol. Fixed my charging issue though.

I'll see what I can do for a vid tomorrow.........

Back