Compound turbo build and other updates

So would like an 88 spool slower than the 80? Thats one of my concerns. I thought I read somewhere that a bigger primary will slow the overall spool. Price is also another thing. The new 480 is like $900, not sure what a 88+ is

As for as going smaller than a 66, I'd like to keep it. I've got a lotta money tied up in this charger. Besides with a spool flange it should spool pretty quick.

88 is $1600

So would like an 88 spool slower than the 80? Thats one of my concerns. I thought I read somewhere that a bigger primary will slow the overall spool. Price is also another thing. The new 480 is like $900, not sure what a 88+ is.

As for as going smaller than a 66, I'd like to keep it. I've got a lotta money tied up in this charger. Besides with a spool flange it should spool pretty quick.

Sell the 66 and get a 60-63mm manifold charger if you want to run an S480. There is no point running a big slow spooling 66 when you're just using a 115 lb/min atmosphere charger to feed it.

If you're ever up here in Las Vegas, look me up, I'll take you for a ride in the 60mm over 83mm twin setup in my drag truck. I think you'll be impressed with 1500+ ft lbs of torque getting stupid loose, even at 65 MPH on the highway....

Although my truck might pick up 10-15 peak horsepower with a 66mm manifold charger, it would lose 300+ ft lbs of torque and run slower 1/4 mile times because it would put down less average horsepower throughout the run even though it might have just a hair more peak power.

A bit off the turbo subject here, but I suppose I'd need quite a bit of fuel to light a 66/80+ setup. I have 7x10's right now, I'm gonna get rid of them for some 5 holes. Y'all think something like 5x16 or 5x18 would do the trick? It IS a street truck, my goal is to run as clean as possible at wot.

5/16's are a great choice.

I also recommend dropping to a smaller secondary. What are totally hp goals for the truck?

Hard to say what my hp goal is. I keep wanting more LOL. I think the 66 by itself might do 650, but is gonna be smoky and hot. if I could make a clean 700+ with decent egts, I'd be pretty damn happy.

As far as going with a smaller secondary, I guess that would be ideal, but I'm gonna try the 66 with the spool flange. From what I've heard it should spool pretty quick.

While I definitely agree dropping to a smaller secondary would be good people are still missing the fact that the 66 behind a spool flange will likely spool like a 62. My s467 made more boost at 70mph cruise with the spool flange than the current t4 .83 a/r gated 62mm s300 does without. A spool flange on a smaller charger would make things come to life that much faster however. It is a cost vs benefit. Perhaps you could sell the 66 and get a cheaper 360/363 but only you know how much that is worth to you.

At 700hp you are barely getting into the power on a 66/48x. Might as well drop size and up the efficiency for the smaller power goal.

At 700hp you are barely getting into the power on a 66/48x. Might as well drop size and up the efficiency for the smaller power goal.

I agree with this, but if I'm gonna build a twin setup I think it would be nice to have something with more potential. I just threw the 700 number out there, I'll likely want more in the future. lol

Industrial makes a 66/80 setup.

Shop | Category: 2nd Gen Compounds | Product: Race Performance Compounds

I've searched around and there are a few that have run a 66/80 with good results. From what I have seen it should do 800-1000 hp easy, which would be plenty for me. I'm just not sure if I would need to spend more money for a 88+. I know it would have a lot more potential, but I'm not looking to make 1200 hp or anything.Engineered Diesel Twins Billet 66/480 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Just bought an s488 :D. What would be a good gate setup? I think it would need to be before the 66 since its not gated? I have seen some that gate into the hot pipe.

IMG_2073.jpg

This it the setup I have right now, wish I would've got a speed steed with a wastegate flange now:doh:. I don't want to use a spacer cause I'm gonna be running a spool flange, so I might have to cut a hole in the manifold for the gate.

Any input? I'd like to just run one gate for cost reasons, and keep boost on the low side if possible for now.

2 inch hole saw 2 inch peice of pipe a welder and a jgs gate will get it mounted then have the gate feeding into the hot pipe so the drive pressure can go to the 88.

2 inch hole saw 2 inch peice of pipe a welder and a jgs gate will get it mounted then have the gate feeding into the hot pipe so the drive pressure can go to the 88.

Sounds like a plan.
Any input on gate sizes?

Not sure where I want to put the 88, under the 66 or up on the fender.:blahblah1:

Would a jgs 40mm gate in the manifold be sufficient? I'm hoping to get away with just 1 gate. Any input on what size I should use would be great. Thanks

Would probably be just fine. A 45mm has plenty of control over smaller secondaries with larger primaries.

The 88 has arrived:D This thing is freakin huge. Can't wait to start fabbing it all up. Hopefully I'm not biting off more than I can chew here...

IMG_0089.jpg

Got the spool flange on, not quite as impressed as I'd hoped. The initial spool to like 15-20 psi is ok, but then it falls on its face and bogs out. Seems like it cracks open a bit too soon? I tightened the afc starwheel, which helped,but it still sucks. It still spools slower than the .70 t3, can't hardly build boost at a standstill. Is there anyway to make the flange stay closed longer maybe?

I think I might be better off going to a smaller charger or something if I can't get this thing to spool better. Maybe change the compressor to something like a 63? I'd like to keep the t4 manifold . I figure if I'm gonna go through the effort to build twins it'd be nice if it ripped off the bottom end. I just don't think that's gonna happen with a 66 anymore. 4500 ft elevation doesn't help either.

Any input would be great.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

I still say 63 would be best for twins. But you gotta figure out why you can't spool a single 66. Did you recheck timing and valve lash yet? What stall in your converter? I know you told me yesterday but I forgot already LOL

I just set the timing recently, should be around a 18-20. I like it where it's at. I checked the valves not too long ago, but I guess I should check them again. Converter is a DTT triple, like 200 under stock. It's pretty darn tight.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Back