Compound turbo build and other updates

I just set the timing recently, should be around a 18-20. I like it where it's at. I checked the valves not too long ago, but I guess I should check them again. Converter is a DTT triple, like 200 under stock. It's pretty darn tight.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

I was able to light mine at 1700ish rpm with a 1400 stall goerend. Now I have an 1800 stall and its even better.

I recently found one of my intake valves was way too tight, and I think it was hurting me some.

I'm just saying it wouldn't go back through every thing at least one more time just to make sure. I still think you're way over fueled too. Even my hx got snuffed out with my old setup.

I'd hate to see you throw on a set of twins and it still not work.

The converter is not helping. Altitude and turbo choice dont chive with the converter setup, stock stall or a bit higher would have made a better choice.

If you want a true street friendly, high performance, high altitude setup, you need to sell that 66 and spool flange and drop down quite a bit in size. I'd recommend an He351cw off an 04.5-07 Common Rail truck with that S488 in a compound turbo setup. Should spool great and have enough air for 850 HP if you ever want to go that high but still run really well as far as spool characteristics, linear smooth power delivery from idle up to peak horsepower with a mild 1/2 second flat spot around 400 RWHP at 26 psi total boost where the He's wastegate opens and the S488 starts to come up to full spool.

If you want a true street friendly, high performance, high altitude setup, you need to sell that 66 and spool flange and drop down quite a bit in size. I'd recommend an He351cw off an 04.5-07 Common Rail truck with that S488 in a compound turbo setup. Should spool great and have enough air for 850 HP if you ever want to go that high but still run really well as far as spool characteristics, linear smooth power delivery from idle up to peak horsepower with a mild 1/2 second flat spot around 400 RWHP at 26 psi total boost where the He's wastegate opens and the S488 starts to come up to full spool.

Lately I've been wanting that linear power. My 66 hauls but at 4500-7000ft it only does alright

351's do pretty ok I guess..... :hehe:

Spool flange, sheesh. Awful expensive restricting chunk of metal if you ask me.

snake_oil.jpg

Spool flange, sheesh. Awful expensive restricting chunk of metal if you ask me.

Obviously nobody would ask you, as you clearly have no idea.

Anyone that has run one knows they work well. It makes our large s400 secondary very easy to light on fuel, without it there is no way we can light it without the bottles on.

Obviously nobody would ask you, as you clearly have no idea.

Anyone that has run one knows they work well. It makes our large s400 secondary very easy to light on fuel, without it there is no way we can light it without the bottles on.

Clearly. :rolleyes:

Man a he351 is tempting. It would spool stupid fast. But it scares me that its so small though. I'd be using an external wastegate, so I guess it'd be fine.
What about boost and drive pressure though? Is it gonna run higher boost cause its so small? or would I be able to limit it with the e-gate?

Oh I just found a smoking deal on a rebuilt 351, $400 shipped.

Also, would there be any hurt to running a t3 turbo on my t4 speed steed? Id have to make an adapter or something, but no biggie.

Last edited:
Man a he351 is tempting. It would spool stupid fast. But it scares me that its so small though. I'd be using an external wastegate, so I guess it'd be fine.
What about boost and drive pressure though? Is it gonna run higher boost cause its so small? or would I be able to limit it with the e-gate?

Also, would there be any hurt to running a t3 turbo on my t4 speed steed? Id have to make an adapter or something, but no biggie.

Big enough gate cures a lot of problems.

Id just run a t4, unless you already had your eyes on a t3.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I need to find those deals!! That's the charger I am looking to try myself

Ok, looks like my turbo plans are changing drastically againLOL. Snatched up a rebuilt he351 for $375, hopefully its legit. My plan now is to keep my t4 manifold and build a t4-t3 adapter with a wastegate stand, that way I don't have to cut a hole in my manifold. Would a 40mm gate be too small? Or would a 50 be better?

Ok, looks like my turbo plans are changing drastically againLOL. Snatched up a rebuilt he351 for $375, hopefully its legit. My plan now is to keep my t4 manifold and build a t4-t3 adapter with a wastegate stand, that way I don't have to cut a hole in my manifold. Would a 40mm gate be too small? Or would a 50 be better?

I like my 50mm but a 45 will control it fine too. The only setups I know of are with a 45 and a 50..

Edit, nevermind. I swear they used to have a 44. Guess not.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Back