Compound turbo build and other updates

OK, I sure hope I didn't get ahead of myself buying a he351. I just rigged up a boost leak tester, turns out I have a huge leak at one of the intercooler end tank joints. I bet its killing spool up big time.:bang. This sucks!

Fix the intercooler and build zetwins

Yea, I ordered a BD. Don't feel like screwing around trying to fix the stocker. 351 finally showed up today too.

As far as the wastegating goes, would it work to block the 351 gate and just use the e-gate? I would think a 50mm should be plenty to control the 351 on its own, I could be wrong though.

So I've been reading up alot on 351's and wastegates and stuff, and it seems the stock internal gate can be pretty effective. I think for now I'm gonna port the tar out of the stock internal gate/volute and see how it runs and what the drive pressure is. If its not enough I can always add a e-gate later on. I haven't had a chance to start building the twins yet, but hopefully in a couple weeks I'll get started. :D

Been working on the twins since the truck is down with a broke output. Will post pics sometime. Pretty much everything is mocked up and tacked together except the downpipe and oil drain.

IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

Couple pics of the turbos mocked up. 5 inch downpipe is gonna be a royal pain, I hope I can fit it around all the AC stuff.

Very nice! You have more room than I did for your hot pipe. You can get it! I love this style of twins. What did you use for your hot pipe?

The hot pipe is 3" schedule 40 pipe, its like 1/4" wall. Its a pretty tight fit around the shock tower, but I think it will work. The 88 is also a tight fit, I'm gonna have to take a sledge hammer to the fender to get more clearance under itLOL.

The hot pipe is 3" schedule 40 pipe, its like 1/4" wall. Its a pretty tight fit around the shock tower, but I think it will work. The 88 is also a tight fit, I'm gonna have to take a sledge hammer to the fender to get more clearance under itLOL.

Haha that's what I did

Twins are pretty much done, just need to build some sort of spring gate for the 351 and install primary boost and drive pressure gauges.

I also noticed on the test drive that its still running hot? I only hit about 40 psi and it was at 1400 egt. hopefully its just cause my rigged spring on the wastegate is opening too soon.

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

How did it drive?

it was ok and kinda sucked lol, I had just thrown a little spring on the 351 gate and I think its too loose, kinda laggy and got hot fast. But it spools better than the 66 already as it is. I'm putting in gauges right now and then I'm gonna fool with the gate and see what happens.

Well I tightened up my rigged spring gate(still need to build a adjustable spring thingy)and it seems to run better. I haven't gone wot yet but have hit about 55-60 psi total boost and I saw drive pressure at like 70 psi. About 30 psi from the primary. Still runs hotter than I'd like, hits 1600 egt pretty easy. Cliff I'm curious whats your egt at wot?

Back