06 TDI EGR, needed or not?

06 DIESEL

Dead Eye Firearms LLC
Well, long story short, see link if you want to read it. Talked to a guru off of TDI Club last night and while he is kinds stumped that unplugging the vacuum line allows the car to run, he also said my mileage is low, which is usually an EGR issue. I told him if the EGR was in need of replacement to just delete it and put a tune in it. He insists that the EGR is needed on these cars, he can however re-program it to only operate when the motor is below 140* and not once it is higher so it runs less and takes longer to wear out. My question to you all is, if it was your car, would you repair/replace the EGR and reprogram or delete it and put a tune in? Keep in mine that I drive an average of 800 miles a week, so mileage really makes a difference.

Delete it. I had so many problems with ny buddys tdi. He was ready to scrap the car. So I did all the deletes and cleaned all the oil from egerything. She never ran this good and its been months since I did the deletes and runs 100x better then before. Its pretty easy to do also.

Anyone else? I know several of you have these, do you still have it or not, and if not do you regret taking it off?

Delete and be happy also replace the thing that looks like a throttle body which has a butterfly valve inside it that works off vacuum which holds back air flow to the intake. You will have better take off and mid, top end. Imotiontuning did my programming for TDI beetle

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW3DGE6JLuw&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW3DGE6JLuw&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

*RACE PIPE*

Intake pipe that attaches to the PD150 intake manifold. This pipe replaces the EGR valve location.

These come in two sizes: smaller (~2") that connects to the stock size hose coming from the intercooler, and larger (~2.5) for those running a front mounted intercooler and/or larger custom intercooler hoses/piping.

Only for PD150 intake manifolds. Will fit PD130 manifolds for ALH or AHU/IZ with a slight modification to the bolt holes.

I just bought my wife an 06 and don't know much about them yet but what all is involved in doing the delete? It already has a tune on it not sure who's but I can find out. And what else can I do to it to improve milage?

At Cummins, for diesel we only use the egr for emissions and we can use it as a form of boost control in non vg turbo's. In a natural gas engine it's strictly for controlling knock, it barely helps our actual emissions. As far as gasoline goes, i've been told it's for emissions but a lot of gassers have the egr valve shut when at WOT so it can't be that crucial to performance. I mean, if you stick a hose up your butt and try to breathe through it, you're not going to be funtioning at your optimum performance, so i doubt your engine would be either. $.02 delete it

i have a simular issue on the back of the motor my egr cooler is leaking and i am looking into deleting it, but do yall think that a leaking egr cooler will cause problems and bad fuel mileage

i have a simular issue on the back of the motor my egr cooler is leaking and i am looking into deleting it, but do yall think that a leaking egr cooler will cause problems and bad fuel mileage
Nope, yank it off and put a tune on. The absolute only negative side effect is a slightly longer warm up time for people in cold climates.

Is there a write up to delete the egr and cooler. For an 2006 jetta
No, tdiclub (a huge tdi forum) has rules that you're not supposed to talk about "illegal" mods so no one has made a write up about it or dpf deletes on the new cars. Whole bunch of BS if you ask me.

It's pretty self explanatory if you're mechanically inclined. Need 3 block off plates, and 2 hose barbs (5/16" and 3/4") if I remember correctly. Make sure you have ball ended allen bits, cable remote hose clamp tool, and at least a 6 pack. It's a decently involved process on the mk5's compared to mk4's.

I know I am a member on there but it's not going anywhere. I guess like you said they don't want to talk about it. Lol

Back