06 TDI EGR, needed or not?

I know I am a member on there but it's not going anywhere. I guess like you said they don't want to talk about it. Lol
Yeah, something to do with the owner somehow feeling he can be held liable for "discussion of conspiracy to remove federal mandated emission equipment" if the man ever cracks down. But considering any ecu tune, nozzle change, and muffler delete is also illegal according to tdiclub's rules, I find the latest round of no dpf talk to be total crap. Either allow it all or don't allow any. Don't do a drunken stumble down the line.

Nope, yank it off and put a tune on. The absolute only negative side effect is a slightly longer warm up time for people in cold climates.

No, tdiclub (a huge tdi forum) has rules that you're not supposed to talk about "illegal" mods so no one has made a write up about it or dpf deletes on the new cars. Whole bunch of BS if you ask me.

It's pretty self explanatory if you're mechanically inclined. Need 3 block off plates, and 2 hose barbs (5/16" and 3/4") if I remember correctly. Make sure you have ball ended allen bits, cable remote hose clamp tool, and at least a 6 pack. It's a decently involved process on the mk5's compared to mk4's.

Hmm, Frank seems to think it will hurt my mileage, but at the same time I agree with you, it may hurt warm-up time, but not enough to notice in a tank of fuel.

Do you know anyone that sells the kit for an 06, I have found up to an 05, but no dice on an 06 yet.

Hmm, Frank seems to think it will hurt my mileage, but at the same time I agree with you, it may hurt warm-up time, but not enough to notice in a tank of fuel.

Do you know anyone that sells the kit for an 06, I have found up to an 05, but no dice on an 06 yet.
Paired with an ecu tune, it will only help mileage. Some people claim they can notice the warm up time difference but I never have been able to.

No one sells a kit for the mk5's. I have 2 of the block off plates, but the 3rd is funky and I don't have it drawn up yet. Realistically, they're really easy to make yourself if you're remotely handy with an angle grinder and a drill press.

Looks like I will be custom fabricating the block off plates then, nothing I can not handle that is for sure, I may know my way around a shop. I just want to make sure I have everything I need, sounds like some plate steel, some gasket material, and a 90* 3/4" hose barb for the cooler. Am I missing anything? If I have everything I will do a write-up and take care of it once I get back to MD around the beginning of June, video and all.

on a 2006 would a leaking egr cooler cause bad fuel mileage or see a decrease in fuel mileage

My mchanic said the torsion was at -1.5 KW would that have been causing lower fuel mileage

I won't be able to work on them for two weeks. Dad is gathering material for me from the scrap bins at work currently. I should be deleted with plates the weekend of May 4th hopefully. I still have to get a tune ordered and get VCDS also.

Looks like I will be custom fabricating the block off plates then, nothing I can not handle that is for sure, I may know my way around a shop. I just want to make sure I have everything I need, sounds like some plate steel, some gasket material, and a 90* 3/4" hose barb for the cooler. Am I missing anything? If I have everything I will do a write-up and take care of it once I get back to MD around the beginning of June, video and all.
You don't need any gaskets. Re-use the oem ones. They're really nice MLS stainless steel.

I apologize, I gave some wrong information on the number of plates. It's only two for a BRM. I just had one in the shop this morning and realized I was thinking of a BEW engine code PD motor they put in mk4's. Those need 3 plates. Sorry for the confusion.

I have the two block off plates water jetted out of 1/4" aluminum for $10 ea if you want to save some time. The 3/4" 90* hose barb is right, also need a 5/16" hose barb also.

on a 2006 would a leaking egr cooler cause bad fuel mileage or see a decrease in fuel mileage

My mchanic said the torsion was at -1.5 KW would that have been causing lower fuel mileage
Do you hear any exhaust leak? The VW coolers are very rare to leak internally; only ever seen it once. The pipes however are known to crack in the accordians.

The torsion being at -1.5 shouldn't cause a big drop in mileage, 1-3 at most. With a stage 2 cam, they actually like being at -2.5 to -3.5. They get much better mileage there.

Last edited:
The deletes got pushed since my move date back to MD got pushed up to this weekend. After working on my truck the car will get deleted, hopefully within a week or two. Been running with the EGR unplugged for now. Have a Malone stage 2 tune waiting on the deletes also. I know one thing, I am going to be so busy in the garage here soon I won't know what to do with myself, but that is a good thing I guess.

I had an idea, let me know what y'all think.

I was thinking what if you don't delete the egr but instead blocked off the exhaust port going back to the motor and rerouted the pipe so that the pipe that did go back to the intake now is rerouted into the downpipe or somewhere into the exhaust.

Would this work? Allowing you to keep your fast warm up but not having the exhaust return the the intake?

Also how hard do y'all think that would be to do?

The EGR cooler has been known to leak, i replaced a cooler on a customer's car at 114,000 miles and it developed an external leak again at 180,000 miles. You can delete or bypass, I chose to insert shim stock at the intake and outlet flanges and left the cooler in place. Malone has a good EGR delete tune that removes the EGR function and monitoring from the ECM so it passes emissions and no codes.

Back