06 TDI EGR, needed or not?

I am not sure what you are asking about, but start a new thread in this section and I am sure someone will know and be able to help you out.

:clap: I'm so glad I found this thread cause I was not getting anywhere on that forum with the delete info. I joined this forum as soon as I read this thread. I will be doing the delete soon. Thanks for all the info guys. Now what about a PCV aka CCV reroute?

The best option would be a vacuum evacuation setup, just build or adapt a catch can and drain said catch can with the vac system, works well on my truck.

06 egr delete question

06 Diesel-

I'm looking to do the egr/egr cooler delete on my mk5 06 TDI. I'm courious what you used for the egr cooler coolant bypass. I talked with the guys at dieselgeeks in TX, they told me it was'nt doable with the limited engine bay area they could'nt find a coolant hose that could fit in the space.

Did you just make one from multiple pieces of hose or did you find a kit somewhere? Did you install a race pipe or leave the egr inplace?

Any help would be great?

Thanks.

Coolant bypass is a 90* fitting connecting the two lines, iirc it was 7/8 hose barbs that I used. I had everything I needed in the garage, no kit was bought. The block-off plates were made out of 1/4" aluminum plate cut to fit and reused factory gaskets. I left the EGR in place and left it unplugged since I did not buy a race pipe. If you need anything else post up man, I will do what I can to help you out. No idea why there is no info about how to do this online.

Thanks for the info!

Well, perhaps it's the legality of the whole issue. I've done a lot of research on the issue today, as I've recently encountered the dreaded hissing.

I was able to find something pretty interesting on tdiclub.com, Malone tuning offers something referred as a "dynamic EGR tune". The mod leaves the EGR and EGR cooler in place and adapts the EGR ECU to minimum allowable usage after a short warm up period. Here is a link to the thread i read about it:

TDIClub Forums

Pretty intreaging info if you ask me. If the information provided is accurate, and I'm taking it as that. I'm thinking this will be the road I head down. Of course after a fairly expensive mechanic repair bill and a tune from malone. If I run into this problem again I'll defiantly go with the delete, but this article makes me want to give it a shot. The majority of my decision is based on the cold engine/warm up issues. I'm in Cleveland and we've been know to have a brisk January morning here and there.

I'll post again after the repairs and tune in a couple weeks.

Thanks again for the info, too many people are tight lipped some times.

My car warms up just the same as it would when the EGR was still working. Do not waste your money on going the fix route, go the delete route and get a Malone stage 1 or 1.5 tune and be done with it.

Correct on the 90 elbow, simple fix.

TDI Club sensors anything emissions related because they're worried someone is gonna come after them or something, oh well.

Dynamic EGR is a nice feature. If I still had a good working EGR, I'd run it in my car(I'm a Malone Dealer) but if your EGR is already crapping out, just get rid of it. Not worth the hassle of replacing an expensive piece of equipment.

Leave the EGR valve/ASV in place unless the ASV takes a dump too.

Stage 1.5 is as far as you want to go on the stock turbo, its always a good idea to log or at least have a boost gauge and verify your turbo is responding correctly - old sooted up vanes sometimes get sticky and it'll spike or overboost.

Sounds like good advice... I think I'm gonna listen. No problems with long warm up times in MD or MN? Mine is garage kept so the only real cold starts are after a long cold day in the parking lot at work. So you used two 90 elbows on the coolant pipes and a straight coolant pipe to connect them?

Thanks guys!

No problem starting today after sitting for 10 hours in 20* with 10 MPH wind. Warm up is so close to normal that it is not worth worrying about.

As for the coolant bypass, you need one 90* fitting and two 7/8 hose barbs with hose clamps. Unplug the lines from the cooler and plug them into the 90* fitting you made with the above items.

do you have to tune the car to get it to stop throwng the overboost code? i deleted the egr on my 02 and have had nothing but hell ever since. it started getting hot and wouldnt run for ****.

I like the tune, plenty of power for me driving around here. Mileage, I am not sure, kinda stopped paying attention to it when I got a company fuel card. Although tonight I filled up with 340 miles on the tank and put in a little over 8 gallons, so 42.5ish. Car also had over 4 hours of idle time during those miles, and stop and go traffic as well as nascar driving to work a few days down the interstate.

Back