BW 369sxe failure

Justappumped24v

Installed the 369sxe and drank the koolaid truck has dual fuelers, 100% over exergys and the 369sxe with a .91 housing. Ran the turbo non gated for 102 miles like a pissed off teenager. Blew an intercooler boot off, went to put it back on and see oil in the pipe pull the cover off the turbo and bam oil is leaking through the compressor side. I have to say I'm still amazed by it, it replaced a s475 and I cannot even notice a difference except better spool lower egts and still pulls like a freight train. I pushed this turbo as hard as I could to 71psi of boost and drive pressure was at 94psi. I know it's not good for it just really wanted to see the potential. Ordered up a rebuild kit and going to wastegate it but it was fun while it lasted. ?

Another guy I know had one break on his dmax around 150 miles on it

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Doesn't know, just put another one on over the weekend.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I know of a few that have failed or that are getting loose. No rhyme or reason either between them. Usage across the board.

Dude come on you can't beat on something that hard, let alone an s300 frame, and expect it to go the distance...must have been fun watching the gauges peg though!

ya it was fun... 100.00 dollars to rebuild so really not that bad. Once I get the gate setup going to spray the hell out of it.

i have seen it twice now where a turbo was fine, but popping the boot and running high RPM with no load or pressure being build pushed oil on the compressor side. But i have also seen twice a turbo from the the box being FFF. Point being, don't just assume that the oil is instant leak. I truly believe that the compressor moving air and making boost part of the sealing strategy on the turbo.

I understand where you are coming from on that, I did check the pipes after the first 25 miles and didn't see any oil but who knows. Already got it rebuilt and have resumed beating on it. Just hoping something happens to my short block so I can convince my wife I need to do rods and Pistons!

Turbo seals are designed to keep pressure, dirt and debris out more so than to keep oil in. Turbos are not designed to see oil pressure at the rings. The seals do keep oil in by default at times as some oil will find its way to them. Turbocharger failure is usually the symptom of another issue. Misdiagnosis, incorrect sizing, installation errors, oil starvation/contamination, etc.. are all a much larger cause of "failure" than defects. Sometimes there is a common pattern with certain models that cause people to see them as defective and sometimes they are but often times it is abuse.

The S369 is a perfect example. The airflow claims support the theory that everybody with an S475 should swap to the S369. It spools better, its generally less expensive, and supposedly flow better. Why not? People are seeing why not. You cannot expect an S300 frame to support 800+ HP reliably by itself. Airflow on the compressor side is only a small percentage of the equation.

When we see one pushing oil it is usually:

drain blockage
excessive crank case pressure
just plain wore out across the board
Excessive bearing clearance (improper bearings or wore out)
Excessive "in and out" ie. thrust failure. wiping out the seals entirely
Oil level too full (yes. That exists. The drains can be extremely close to the oil level in the pan at times.
Overspeed does tend to cause leakage but usually when we have one that was clearly overspeeding it shows signs of doing it for quite a long time. It had been abused since day one causing the rest of the turbocharger to wear exponentially ultimately causing the leak.

Last edited:
Without a doubt this turbo got raped for 102 miles. I wouldn't call it a defect and I guess failure isn't right either. I should have titled this the destruction of a 369

So it lasted 100 miles. Now your going to gate it and run even harder, maybe last 200 miles. What's the point?

I have or had a s364 sxe. Bearings went out and it has maybe 10 miles on it. Have no idea why they went out as it is gated at 45 to 50 psi

Back