deckover vs. low boy gooseneck

red dodge2

what are some of the advantages and disadvantages of both? how wide do they make a low boy inside fenders? kinda looking for a trailer and wanting to see some opinions on the different models. thanks.

I prefer a deckover trailer.

The main reason is not having to worry about the fenders (hitting them while loading equipment, swinging a door into them, hitting them with forks or a bucket while loading or unloading, etc). Also the increased width of the deck can be an advantage depending on the load.

I see no advantage to a lowboy trailer except the lower center of gravity and clearance. I've never had a concern with the center of gravity.

I have a lowboy (tri-axle pintle) and the only reason I got it is because it was dirt cheap been looking for a gooseneck deck over for a while. The only thing a low boy is good for is if you never transport stuff over 7 feet.

Having had both, there is no reason to want a low-boy. The fenders hit everything I loaded. Fork trucks can't load lumber and a dually won't fit because the lugs on the front wheel wouldn't pass the 85 inside width on the fenders (non-factory width tires won't fit on a 3/4 ton either). I put 2x10's down to get them over it.

Look for a Low-Profile deck over. The deck height is not bad. My old vs. my new.

85 inside width.

LoadTrail.jpg

102 outside width (legal limit). Deck height is 32 inches.

IMG_4563_med.jpg

I bought the 30' version of this for $11,000 with hydrualic dove tail. :D

GN Low-Pro 22,000 Lb w/12" 19 Lb I-Beam Frame Load Trail Trailer Manufacturing

Last edited:
Having had both, there is no reason to want a low-boy. The fenders hit everything I loaded. Fork trucks can't load lumber and a dually won't fit because the lugs on the front wheel wouldn't pass the 85 inside width on the fenders (non-factory width tires won't fit on a 3/4 ton either). I put 2x10's down to get them over it.

Look for a Low-Profile deck over. The deck height is not bad. My old vs. my new.

85 inside width.

LoadTrail.jpg

]

thats the only trailer i own and i have none of the problems you listed. I love mine and duallies fit just fine on mine.
I have a winch on mine and fixing to add a small crane on the neck

thats the only trailer i own and i have none of the problems you listed. I love mine and duallies fit just fine on mine.
I have a winch on mine and fixing to add a small crane on the neck

I would imagine your fenders are 1 inch shorter than mine were. Mine would knock the center caps off. LOL

Zach Hamilton now owns my old one in the photo.

If I was going to buy a new one I would buy a low deck 102" wide with drive over fenders.

Previously had a 20' low deck. Currently have a 27' deck over.

Depends on what your doing with it. I've got the low deck with side rails but all I haul on it is skidloaders. It's 24 foot triple axle deck is around 18 inches off the ground. Real easy to load and unload, the rails are as high as the top of the fenders. That keeps all the attachments on without tieing them down and kind of tucks the loader down out of the wind better. I've built probably 20 trailers and this is the only one I've kept. Just to handy for what I do.

For general use the deckover is alot handier though, I've got one in a 20 ton air ride pintle I built to haul track loaders and backhoes on.

I have a GN deckover, a BP between fenders, and have pulled both a GN between fenders, and BP deckover. It all depends on what you are doing with it. If you are hauling trucks, I highly recommend a GN deckover, for hauling four wheelers we use the BP between fenders unless we have more than will fit, then we take the GN. Sit down and think about what you are going to use the trailer for, you will always want one longer, it always seems that you manage to need another foot to haul something. If you are loading things with forklifts a deckover is better. Like I said, think about what you are going to do with it then decide.

85 inside width.

LoadTrail.jpg

102 outside width (legal limit). Deck height is 32 inches.

IMG_4563_med.jpg

I bought the 30' version of this for $11,000 with hydrualic dove tail. :D

GN Low-Pro 22,000 Lb w/12" 19 Lb I-Beam Frame Load Trail Trailer Manufacturing

I'd die for that hyd dovetail. so awesome. Someday.

I'd die for that hyd dovetail. so awesome. Someday.

Like they say...once you go, you'll never go back. Fo Sho. :D

The dove tail being 9 foot long at 34" heigh (or what ever it is) makes for a step ramp. I had to load a buddies 2wd dually the other day. Quad cab long bed. The frame hit the hinge due to the angle. So, once the back tires were on the dove tail, I just lifted it and then drove on. That is easy with two folks but might be a tad tricky if by yourself. Food for thought.

Low profile trailers use c-channel beams compared to deck overs that typically use I-beams, so if trailer will be used for heavy loads this would be good to keep in mind.

Low profile trailers use c-channel beams compared to deck overs that typically use I-beams, so if trailer will be used for heavy loads this would be good to keep in mind.

I think my previous post (which I just replaced here) completely missed the point of your statement. Opps. :D

Low profile trailer as in "low boy" or "deck below fenders" us c-channel. Yes.

"Low Pofile" deck overs use I-beam. Yes. I'll buy that.

I had a brain fart. LOL

Last edited:
Deckover the only way to go. I just baught a 24K PJ deckover all led's 3 ramps and a spare for 8150 about a year ago. I have had a few little problems with it but all has been warranty. Good trailer and good people to work with.

Back