deckover vs. low boy gooseneck

i have a titan low boy with drive over fenders, it is nice for the low center of gravity and with the drive over fenders i can load an IH 806 with no problem, but it isnt as ridged as a deck over, it has alot of flex to it, only advantage to it is it makes it easy to load low ground clearance cars. i would rather have a deck over

so who here can tell me if it would be easier loading a truck that has a weight box out front that sits 20'' off the ground with a low profile deckover with a hydraulic dove or a low profile with the standard flip over ramps?

so who here can tell me if it would be easier loading a truck that has a weight box out front that sits 20'' off the ground with a low profile deckover with a hydraulic dove or a low profile with the standard flip over ramps?

Im not sure how tall my weightbox is, but its lower than that, i have a low pro deck over big tex with flip over ramps and back the truck on, i have rollers on my box though. With the tires aired up i can load it foward.

i dont have rollers on mine, im looking at getting my own trailer in the next few weeks hopefully and just dont know which way to go.

im debating between a PJ low pro deckover 30ft with the flip over ramps, or the PJ low pro deckover 30ft with that one being a 21+9ft hydraulic dove

I would think the hydraulic dove would be harder cause it seems they have a steeper angle, but im not for sure.

thats a good point rob. u notice any difference in fuel milage hauling ur truck backward vs forward?

No, i dont haul it foward much though, unless it has to be pulled on the trailer due to breakage. The tongue weight is a lot worse then and the ride is a little rougher.

so my best bet would be to go with a trailer that has the standard flip over ramps and just start hauling mine backwards?

so my best bet would be to go with a trailer that has the standard flip over ramps and just start hauling mine backwards?

I have a pop up dove tail with slide in ramps. Best of both worlds!

I would think the hydraulic dove would be harder cause it seems they have a steeper angle, but im not for sure.

I have noticed this with my 21'+9' hyd dove. The angle is steep on flat ground. I doubt you could load your truck forwards with the weight box on front. However, I've thought about making a couple short ramps about 10-12" tall and letting the dove down on the top of them on a flat surface. Then, you have the best of both worlds....you just have to hang the short ramps on the neck when done. It would be very easy to build them out of small, lightweight material and cross brace them for strength and still be able to have the wife carry them. :D

most of you guys use chain and binders or heavy duty ratchet straps?

Chains over straps any day. I've had too many straps break to put much faith in them. And we haul equipment down every rough back road and dirt road around here. All those bumps are tough on straps.

Someone needs to sell me their old trailer for cheap LOL

I dream of the day I can afford any trailer that will fit both the truck and the car.

Little off topic, why does everyone prefer gooseneck?

Someone needs to sell me their old trailer for cheap LOL

I dream of the day I can afford any trailer that will fit both the truck and the car.

Little off topic, why does everyone prefer gooseneck?

Sooooo...... much easier to pull. No sway, easier to backup, way more weight capacity, and you can swing a gooseneck into some pretty tight spots. Alot easier on the truck too. Having that weight just in front of the back axle makes all the difference in the world.

Sooooo...... much easier to pull. No sway, easier to backup, way more weight capacity, and you can swing a gooseneck into some pretty tight spots. Alot easier on the truck too. Having that weight just in front of the back axle makes all the difference in the world.

I thought it was the exact opposite? 5th wheel was smoother and eliminated more sway? How do they have a higher capacity? Why do OTR trucks use 5th wheel?

5th wheel and gooseneck are basically the same concept (weight in front of axle). The 5thyou wheel just makes it quicker to hook up and some have cushioning systems. I haven't seen many trailers behind pickup trucks that use a 5th wheel hitch besides campers.

Bumper pull trailers are useless to me unless I'm just hauling my fourwheelers or skid steers lol.

Back