deckover vs. low boy gooseneck

I've always wanted to run an inverted, mini-fifth wheel setup on my rig. That'd sure keep folks from borrowing trailers. LOL For now, I just use a 7-pin round tractor-trailer plug for lights and brakes. No one will borrow a trailer without brakes most of the time. :D When schit gets borrowed, it always comes back broken.

I've always wanted to run an inverted, mini-fifth wheel setup on my rig. That'd sure keep folks from borrowing trailers. LOL For now, I just use a 7-pin round tractor-trailer plug for lights and brakes. No one will borrow a trailer without brakes most of the time. :D When schit gets borrowed, it always comes back broken.

That's a good idea

Thatd be awesome, if I didn't always use other peoples trailers LOL

LOL I'm going to buy all the adapters so that I can pull mine and anything else on the road. I'll probably drop about $350 or so, but I've budgeted a grand in the last two years to update my stock trailer. Axles, new floor, paint, fix what's broke, and rewire with these plugs.

a83aaa5c.jpg

That's what I'm pulling right now. Not only does it keep people from borrowing trailers, but it's quicker hiooking up and dropping off IMO.

a83aaa5c.jpg

That's what I'm pulling right now. Not only does it keep people from borrowing trailers, but it's quicker hiooking up and dropping off IMO.

Exactly what I've thought about. How do they work as far as side-to-side range of movement? I travers a lot of terraces and ditches with hay. I hate it, but you have to sometimes.

8bd04c82.jpg

They do very well, there's two hinge points in this hitch. I'm more comfortable with this style. I watch some of our ball hitch trailers flex and I'm just waiting for the day the ball slips past the collar and makes me mess my pants.

Having had both, there is no reason to want a low-boy. The fenders hit everything I loaded. Fork trucks can't load lumber and a dually won't fit because the lugs on the front wheel wouldn't pass the 85 inside width on the fenders (non-factory width tires won't fit on a 3/4 ton either). I put 2x10's down to get them over it.

Look for a Low-Profile deck over. The deck height is not bad. My old vs. my new.

85 inside width.

LoadTrail.jpg

102 outside width (legal limit). Deck height is 32 inches.

IMG_4563_med.jpg

I bought the 30' version of this for $11,000 with hydrualic dove tail. :D

GN Low-Pro 22,000 Lb w/12" 19 Lb I-Beam Frame Load Trail Trailer Manufacturing

Good advise, I was always looking for a Low-Boy as I thought the lower center of gravity would be better. But because of clearance issues as you have mentioned a deckover might be a better choice.

Back