Just got done straight piping a 6.4L

Sooo, isnt soot still being put into the atmosphere, but just kinda chilling for a while before it does? How does that "help" anything?

Santa Gertrudis said:
Sooo, isnt soot still being put into the atmosphere, but just kinda chilling for a while before it does? How does that "help" anything?
Its a particulate filter so yes soot chills for a while before being burnt off.
PSDPlayer said:
Your point?
I remember reading in a ford brocure about the 6.4 that even a muffler tip could void the warrenty on the motor, then I come to find out that despite the fact I haven't seen a 6.4 yet someone has already straight piped one :doh: Is this a competitive truck? If not I can't see risking it on a first production year motor.

With the straight pipe on, during the regen, the truck ran horribly. It didn't just lack power, it was erratic.

An calibration engineer has been working with SCT although it hasn't been figured out just yet. We'll all benefit from this. Any information you have, please pass along. I know it's not as simple as turning the EGR, 02 sensors, or something like that off, there is a lot of logic invovled.

Our truck still had full power. It was just smoking white from the exhaust from the extra fuel it was dumping in. Reflashing the processor did not reset the parameters. There is however a diesel particulate filter parameter reset in the IDS used to return the calculated amount of soot back to a calibrated level. But I didn't have access to it since the guy was about 5 hours away when it started. I'm going to have him disconnect the ECT today to see if the processor won't go into regen if it thinks the coolant temp is below freezing.

Ok, keep me posted. I'll let you know what I find.

We were running a different program, which was supposed to shut it off.

Innovative said:
Ok, keep me posted. I'll let you know what I find.

We were running a different program, which was supposed to shut it off.

How bout you tell SCT to send me the software to play. You seem to have more pull over there. But since its a siemens ECU just like the one in my brothers 06 bmw M5 I have the software to do the reads. I may just take a read from stock and then a read from when the Extreme tune gets loaded in and send it to our south african programmer to cut SCT out of it all together.

This is a productive thread so I had to join the CD.:drool1: I had great results with your guys SCT files with my 6.0 so I know it will be a matter of time untill this is figured out. Now as for the strait pipe and regen has anyone consitered making a DPF bypass kit the can be opened via switch. I know that would be a good amount of work and $$ but if their was one on the market I would invest in it. I think that would be the best solution regarding emissions and regen. Fab up a Y pipe from the down pipe and go from their... DPF and strait pipe at the same time - now that would be trick.:rockwoot:

No, I don't have any more pull than anyone else. I'm just up to my neck in these 6.4's and have a bunch of people waiting to install off road exhaust. The stock exhaust is too quiet and I know there's a lot left in these trucks. I want to go faster! After driving built 6.0's, it's like driving Jetta TDI. ;-)

The Australian Ford processors are also Siemens, so it shouldnt' be an issue reading it.

Eric

New to the site fellas but I wanted you to know that I have been able to get the truck to come out of regen, but I can't get it to stay out.....I wanted to run an idea by you guys:pop:

nummit said:
Welcome aboard TwinTurbo
What's the idea?
I got the idea to heat the EGT probes with a torch and see what happens. Well I got EGT #1 to 700F and heated the others slowly and the truck came out of regen but wouldn't stay out. So I got this idea about the catalytic converter as a temp fix.....the converter function is to burn any unused fuel (via a smoking hot ceramic honeycomb core) before it leaves the exhaust system. The DPFs function is to trap any soot that may go out of the tailpipe and when there is a sufficient amount, burn it off during regen and expell the ash that is the byproduct. Since it seems I'm having temperature issues with the sensors and the computer thnking it needs to regen the system, I wonder if I had a working converter in place if it would provide enough heat to keep the sensors/computer happy?? If you think about it, wouldn't that be nearly the same condition of the stock system right after regen?? The DPF would be clear and basically free of soot/backpressure so the before DPF sensor would be reading exhaust coming from the converter, the after DPF sensor would also be reading exhaust that passed through the now clear DPF, maybe slightly cooler but still very warm after passing through the working converter. Could it be that since I removed the heat source of the converter that the exhaust is too cool to keep the sensors happy, thus causing the truck to go into regen and effectively causing the issue??

Diesel Particulate Filter

The diesel particulate filter collects the soot and ash particles that are present in the exhaust gas of diesel engines. The diesel particulate filter assembly typically consists of active precious metals deposited on a substrate filter. The exhaust gas is forced to flow through the walls of the porous substrate and exit through the adjoining channels. The particulates that are larger than the pore size of the walls are trapped for regeneration. During regeneration the temperature in the diesel particulate filter increases to greater than 550°C (1,022°F). At this temperature the soot in the diesel particulate filter burns and becomes ash. The precious metal washcoat promotes the regeneration of the trapped particulates through the heat-generating reaction and catalyzes the untreated exhaust gas. The substrate filter is held in the metal shell by a ceramic fiber support system. The support system makes up the size differences that occur due to thermal expansion and maintains a uniform holding force on the substrate filter.

OPERATING CHARACTERISTICS

Diesel particulates in the exhaust are trapped by the DPF. Regeneration is the process by which exhaust temperatures are increased so the particulates are combusted.

The frequency and length of regeneration will fluctuate as both are determined by the drive cycle. For most drive conditions, regeneration frequency will vary from 100 - 600 miles (161 - 804 Km) between occurrence and last from 10 to 40 minutes. The first regeneration does not require 100 miles (161 Km) and may occur at any time. The length of regeneration is usually reduced if a constant speed above 30 MPH (48 Km/h) is maintained.

The following is a list of normal operation while the vehicle is in regeneration, and do not require repair. If you are not sure if the vehicle is in regeneration, IDS can be used to monitor the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) PID.

Engine idle speed can be 1100 to 1200 RPM in park/neutral with foot off brake.
High idle speed drops to within 50 RPM of normal idle when the brake pedal is touched, PRNDL is actuated, or clutch is actuated.
White smoke in cold ambients is normal and the amount will be increased during regeneration.
Powertrain power is limited to 325 horsepower (HP).
Engine responsiveness may be slightly different than normal operation.
During initiation of regeneration, exhaust smell may be noticed - especially on new vehicles.
Powertrain sound will be different including air induction noise (including flutter on deceleration or engine shut down), exhaust noise, and changes in engine radiated noise.
During regeneration, exhaust temperatures are elevated.

The Monitor

The powertrain control module (PCM) monitors the diesel particulate filter for leaks in the filter substrate. The diesel particulate filter requires preconditioning before the monitor is enabled. There are two tests that comprise the diesel particulate filter monitor. The first test is an efficiency
monitor that compares the restriction of the diesel particulate filter to restriction values, which are a function of exhaust flow. The second test is a differential pressure monitor that compares the measured differential pressure across the diesel particulate filter to threshold values, which are a function of exhaust flow.

The diesel particulate filter monitor is enabled and continuously runs after a preconditioning of 5,000 km (3,107 miles) when certain base engine conditions are first satisfied. The typical monitoring duration for this monitor is 2 minutes. Inputs from the crankshaft position (CKP), engine coolant temperature (ECT), exhaust gas temperature (EGT), and diesel particulate filter pressure sensors are required to enable the monitor. The monitor entry conditions include:

• diesel particulate filter regeneration is inactive
• one complete diesel particulate filter regeneration has occurred
• time from last diesel particulate filter regeneration is greater than 300 seconds
• exhaust flow between 400 - 2,000 m3/hour (14,125.9 - 70,629.3 ft3/hour)
• no fuel injector concerns
• preconditioning distance of 5,000 km (3,107 miles)

For the efficiency monitor test, the PCM determines a restriction threshold value for the amount of restriction that should be present in the filter for a certain exhaust flow rate. The PCM compares the measured restriction, which is based primarily on the diesel particulate filter pressure sensor measurement to the restriction threshold value. A fault filtering counter starts when the monitor begins to run. When the measured restriction is less than the restriction threshold, the counter increases. When the measured restriction is greater than the restriction threshold, the counter decreases. If the number of counts on the counter at the end of the monitor exceeds a calibrated
limit the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P2002 is set and the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) illuminates.

For the differential pressure monitor test, the PCM determines a differential pressure threshold for the amount of pressure that should be measured by the diesel particulate filter pressure sensor for a certain exhaust flow rate. The PCM compares the measured differential pressure value to the differential pressure threshold value. A fault filtering counter starts when the monitor begins to run.

When the measured differential pressure is less than the threshold value, the counter increases.When the measured differential pressure is greater than the threshold value, the counter decreases. If the number of counts on the counter at the end of the monitor exceeds a calibrated limit the DTC P244A is set and the MIL illuminates.

Is International using these engines themselves or are they just for Ford?? If International is using these enignes do they use the DPF?? If not can the programming from International trucks be copied or used to see how the regen is turned off?? Or are these questions just off the wall and utterly stooopid??

From what I learned at the big rig show in Dallas last August, all the big rigs-Cat, Cummins,Mercedes (Detroit) and Mack were going to have DPF's. Seems that at this time it is the only way to meet the EPA's opacity rule. (I don't think that the EPA says that a filter has to be used, just sets certain requirements), if some company could get a clean enough burn so there would be no soot, then they wouldn't need a DPF. Right now, they obviously can't meet the regs without a filter and still get a decent running and pulling engine with decent longevity. Or if they can, the cost of the engine is prohibitive compared to the DPF route. Maybe someday they will. The guy I talked to was from Cat and he said that after the new rules for 2010 the exhaust would be cleaner than the air going into the intake. At this time that was all the new engine emission rules on the books, but then the EPA is going to crack down on the particles coming off the tires during normal driving. He said, that with the 2007 engines, (talking about big rigs) there will now be more particles coming off the tires and going into the atmosphere than comes out of the exhaust. That may also be true for Pickup trucks, especially if thay are heavily loaded. He said the tire companies are already working on new compounds to meet the rules they know are coming.

Back