Just got done straight piping a 6.4L

PSDPlayer

Captain Negativity!
Grizzly660 came on down this weekend. We put in the SCT for the 6.4L and loaded up the extreme tune. Drove the truck and it felt kinda sluggish. So this morning we headed to the shop this morning to delete the particulate filter and the catalyst. Drove the truck to see how she felt. The stock filter box is so restrictive that it sucks the filter minder sucks down. As a test, I yanked the filter to see if that was the restriction. Filter minder still sucked shut. So we ran it without the top on it. And holy crap. 40.7 psi of boost on the livewire monitor. No check engine lights. And the truck runs great. AFE should have been here on friday but the UPS man screwed us.

He should be home by now. I have the pics of the pipe in my phone. Now to find the cable to get them on here.

Did it throw a bunch of CELs?

someone had a vid of a straight piped 6.4 on here a few weeks ago. Anyone got a link? They sound sweet!

No CELs. All of the temp sensors are in place and so is the pressure sensor.

PSDPlayer said:
He should be home by now. I have the pics of the pipe in my phone. Now to find the cable to get them on here.

Where did you get the pipe or did you make it yourself??

Thanks, SC

We got a length of 409 stainless steel and sectioned the pipe. A few bays down from me is a very experienced Tig welder and he welded it back for us and then welded on the bungs that I machined on the lathe to match the factory ones. All three temp sensors are in place along with the pressure sender.

I'm glad to see others doing testing on the 6.4L. I've been spending a ton of time on them.

When straight piped, the regen won't run due to the DPF pressure being high(of course). However, after about 500 miles it will go into regen and the truck will run like crap. You need to hold of on the straight pipe until we figure out how to completely turn the regen off.

Its not that it runs like crap, it just dumps fuel from the exhaust.

Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration

Note: Regeneration may occur during normal operation. During regeneration, diagnostic procedures may display biased values. If a regeneration occurs during diagnostic procedures, allow the process to complete before continuing diagnostics.

During normal vehicle operation the PCM estimates the amount of particulates that accumulate in the diesel particulate filter. The estimated amount of particulates is based on the vehicle operating conditions such as speed and load. Additionally the PCM monitors the following:

• amount of time since the last diesel particulate filter regeneration
• battery voltage
• distance travelled since the last diesel particulate filter regeneration
• engine coolant temperature (ECT)
• engine speed
• exhaust gas temperature bank 1, sensor 1 (EGT11)
• exhaust gas temperature bank 1, sensor 2 (EGT12)
• exhaust gas temperature bank 1, sensor 3 (EGT13)
• fuel level
• fuel temperature
• intake air temperature (IAT)
• turbocharger condition

When the appropriate conditions are met, the PCM initiates a diesel particulate filter regeneration. The diesel particulate filter regeneration can occur at idle. The PCM may increase the engine speed at idle to maintain the correct temperature conditions for an optimum diesel particulate filter
regeneration.

As a short term fix, If the truck thinks the coolant is like 0 degrees outside it shouldn't go into regen.

Innovative said:
I'm glad to see others doing testing on the 6.4L. I've been spending a ton of time on them.

When straight piped, the regen won't run due to the DPF pressure being high(of course). However, after about 500 miles it will go into regen and the truck will run like crap. You need to hold of on the straight pipe until we figure out how to completely turn the regen off.

This sounds like an easy fix but a MAJOR PIA until it is. Other than extra fuel.......what does the regen do, how does it work?

Burner said:
This sounds like an easy fix but a MAJOR PIA until it is. Other than extra fuel.......what does the regen do, how does it work?

The DPF collects the soot traping it. Once it sees that it is starting to get to full it goes into regen mode causing EGT's to rise burning the soot out of the DPF. That is how I have heard it explained.

Andy

Back