billet input shaft test.

mine didn't either, but mine lasted a bit longer. 2 months maybe 3000 miles.
mine looks just like the one in the pic would look if it had sheared in two, splines are twisted with a chunk stuck in the converter. hopefully the fat shaft will give better results. I am a little bugged that i had no warrenty help but really i figure at high power levels warrenties aren't really a possibility, just glad people are making parts to make my truck faster.

i could understand if it happen months after getting it but the first time out!!
tranny was built on wed ,put it in friday night, went to track saturday, and it was twisted as seen in pics.

mine didn't either, but mine lasted a bit longer. 2 months maybe 3000 miles.
mine looks just like the one in the pic would look if it had sheared in two, splines are twisted with a chunk stuck in the converter. hopefully the fat shaft will give better results. I am a little bugged that i had no warrenty help but really i figure at high power levels warrenties aren't really a possibility, just glad people are making parts to make my truck faster.

Tranny warranties at high power levels are a very real posibility. You just have to buy from the right company to get that warranty. (this is not intended to start another tranny war thread, just stating facts)

But just to let the consumers know, I have an Opie shaft sitting on my tranny table right now that looks exactly like the one in bigdodge's picture. It twisted on 5 12-15psi boosted launches. It was not a tranny of mine, but I was driving the truck it was in and it made two 12psi launches and three 15psi launches. It never made a full pass either as the tranny never shifted correctly. I have never used opie shafts, but i have sold LOTs of trannies with sonnax and never have had one twist or break. The one in our first race truck had over 100 passes and many 20+psi launches and its still straight. My truck has made several 25+psi launches and the sonnax is still straight in it. Again, I am not trying to bash anyones product, just want to let the consumers in on this info as this is something that I would like to know before dropping thousands of dollars on parts.

This is a sore subject but my 2 cents If this is happening to all opie shafts then there is a problem in the hardening process! I would suggest opie do a failure test on a few shafts! Then a hardness test. I've seen this done to axles and the ultimate failure WAS the metal was not processed properly!
This problem needs to be addressed immediately by opie and made right with all customers if they want to stay in bussiness! PLease swallow your pride and address the problem! You do make a good product but so do alot of other companies! Word of mouth can make you or break you!

This is a sore subject but my 2 cents If this is happening to all opie shafts then there is a problem in the hardening process! I would suggest opie do a failure test on a few shafts! Then a hardness test. I've seen this done to axles and the ultimate failure WAS the metal was not processed properly!
This problem needs to be addressed immediately by opie and made right with all customers if they want to stay in bussiness! PLease swallow your pride and address the problem! You do make a good product but so do alot of other companies! Word of mouth can make you or break you!

Who said it was happening to all Opie's shafts....

Chris

Maybe not all but a specific batch! There are several right in this post! How many are out there that just haven't been discovered yet! One is an oddity
four or five + is a manufacturer problem.

If it had twisted on several hard launch passes, would have never even thought anything about it, even though I have never had a sonnax do it. But the one I have was twisted on very light launches. So Id definately think something went wrong when it was made.

If it had twisted on several hard launch passes, would have never even thought anything about it, even though I have never had a sonnax do it. But the one I have was twisted on very light launches. So Id definately think something went wrong when it was made.

What year your opie shaft was brought?

Maybe the problem shafts are from certain time frame

I'm surprised any of them hold up to the crap that they go through, nothing against BigDodge but listening to that truck launch in a vid it is making some serious power, heck even my little nothing truck broke a billet shaft.

Jim

**** can break when we make the torque we do. If you lock up a converter that is extreamly loose you are going to shock load the input. I did the same thing to a TSC shaft when I started to play around with a v 10 convertor.

Still trying to break the fat shaft.....

PS I am sure that if you approached OPIE in the right way he would do something for you.

Malcolm

Bashing a product BEFORE working it out with a vendor is a real bad way to get warranty lol! But hey I just got done swaping my auto for a 6spd and fixed my input shaft for good.............

Seems to me the guys with twisted shafts are complaining about having tranny issues from the get go? Hmmm, bad tranny build/install = twisted shaft.. What am I missing here?

The one I twisted was definately in a bad tranny build. Dont really see where the install would make any difference though.

Back