billet input shaft test.

Tranny warranties at high power levels are a very real posibility. You just have to buy from the right company to get that warranty. (this is not intended to start another tranny war thread, just stating facts)

But just to let the consumers know, I have an Opie shaft sitting on my tranny table right now that looks exactly like the one in bigdodge's picture. It twisted on 5 12-15psi boosted launches. It was not a tranny of mine, but I was driving the truck it was in and it made two 12psi launches and three 15psi launches. It never made a full pass either as the tranny never shifted correctly. I have never used opie shafts, but i have sold LOTs of trannies with sonnax and never have had one twist or break. The one in our first race truck had over 100 passes and many 20+psi launches and its still straight. My truck has made several 25+psi launches and the sonnax is still straight in it. Again, I am not trying to bash anyones product, just want to let the consumers in on this info as this is something that I would like to know before dropping thousands of dollars on parts.

2009 I think. Like I said, it wasnt my shaft or my tranny. It was a customers.

The one I twisted was definately in a bad tranny build. Dont really see where the install would make any difference though.
You are obviously trying to "Implicate". Aren't you Ashley with your so called "Facts". Your disclaimer is a fail. Post those facts big boy or it didn't happen!

Last edited:
You are obviously trying to "Implicate". Aren't you Ashley with your so called "Facts". Your disclaimer is a fail. Post those facts big boy or it didn't happen!

Hmmm, Im so confused on what I've been doing so far. Reread my posts. Those are the facts. What else would you like to know?

Seems to me the guys with twisted shafts are complaining about having tranny issues from the get go? Hmmm, bad tranny build/install = twisted shaft.. What am I missing here?

I agree! From my experiences, 75% of a built transmission is in the vb, anyone can swap hard parts.

Trying to steal away from the fact that it was a bad build? I said one or the other. Don't take just half of what I said and swing it any whichever way you choose.

As far as who built the tranny it was in, I am not gonna include that shops name in this thread. if you use the search button, you can find that out yourself. Like i said, I will not participate in another tranny pissing match and this is not what this thread is about. This thread is about finding out why these opie shafts twist so easily. Maybe it was just a bad batch.

I never had much luck with loose v10 conveters and tranny shafts, too much shock load especially on a heavy truck.

i guess reading is not one of your strong points. i said IT WOULD NOT SHIFT TO 3RD WHEN I WAS DOING MY BURN OUT. yes i ran a TCS shaft all last year with a little twist in it and it made over 200 passes. when i had Jeff Garman build me a tranny back in April i asked what was the best shaft to use and he said opies fat shaft but he did not have any in stock so we went with the next best thing so i thought. i had told Jeff that we were going to build a another tranny and would be going with the fat shaft set up in it. but before i had a chance to even try the first one out the shaft was twisted.
the shaft from last year is in my 96 dodge dually pull rig. it was the same one that went 9.34@148mph at breachbend last oct at the NHRDA race. but after a full year of racing i wanted to just replace it before it broke.
after i twisted the oh so great opie shaft i replace it with a brand new TCS shaft. then went and put 20 or so passes on it. then we changed out the converter and swaped to a sonnax to see if it would break or twist.

so what your tell me is that your shafts will hold up to an 8 sec truck?
so maybe there was something wrong with the one i got.
if you would like to ask Jeff if there is any way for my tranny to lock up before 2nd gear feel free cause i have not come up with a way yet. when Jeff
Garman built the tranny he asked if i wanted to lock in 1st or 2nd and i told him i wanted it not to lock untill 2nd gear. so yes i am telling you there is no way that i locked it up before 2nd gear.
so what you are telling me if i went with the fat shaft i would not have twisted it?
seems funny that after going with the TCS shaft i have not had any issues with shafts twisting. Maybe high priced parts are not the way to go then cause TCS is the cheapest shaft out there.
all i have ask from the start was what needed to do done to get the shaft replaced. thats when you started in with "I am not going to do anything about my twisted shaft" remember that email.

Rick you getting a warrantee is a dead issue. The twist in the shaft you have would not prevent 3rd gear from working. 2 wheel drives are exceptionally easy on inputs compared to a 4 wheel drives. The input shaft is designed to twist where it did when exceeded. The launch is the easiest part of the race on an input shaft. That is with the exception of an incredible Rick Buckley spool up.
I try to stand behind all my products but to put it nicely, I just don’t believe you.

Tranny warranties at high power levels are a very real posibility.

You just have to buy from the right company to get that warranty. (this is not intended to start another tranny war thread, just stating facts)

But just to let the consumers know, I have an Opie shaft sitting on my tranny table right now that looks exactly like the one in bigdodge's picture. It twisted on 5 12-15psi boosted launches. It was not a tranny of mine, but I was driving the truck it was in and it made two 12psi launches and three 15psi launches. It never made a full pass either as the tranny never shifted correctly. I have never used opie shafts, but i have sold LOTs of trannies with sonnax and never have had one twist or break. The one in our first race truck had over 100 passes and many 20+psi launches and its still straight. My truck has made several 25+psi launches and the sonnax is still straight in it. Again, I am not trying to bash anyones product, just want to let the consumers in on this info as this is something that I would like to know before dropping thousands of dollars on parts.

2009 I think. Like I said, it wasnt my shaft or my tranny. It was a customers.

The one I twisted was definately in a bad tranny build. Dont really see where the install would make any difference though.

Hmmm, Im so confused on what I've been doing so far. Reread my posts. Those are the facts. What else would you like to know?

As far as who built the tranny it was in, I am not gonna include that shops name in this thread. if you use the search button, you can find that out yourself. Like i said, I will not participate in another tranny pissing match and this is not what this thread is about. This thread is about finding out why these opie shafts twist so easily. Maybe it was just a bad batch.

Congratulations Ashley, you have just executed for Everyone the proper ""Backpedaling Technique": Which is the ability to run backward's after running your Suck!

Congratulations Ashley, you have just executed for Everyone the proper ""Backpedaling Technique": Which is the ability to run backward's after running your Suck!

And who are you? Man, you must make a lot of money on these shafts to get so affended at people questioning the quality of them. Or did you invent them? So since your such a genius, why dont you explain how these shafts twisted under such light use? Why dont you give us some usefull info instead of running your mouth, i mean your fingers, so fast. You havent made one valid point yet other than wasting the peoples time that are viewing this thread.

People like you are making this place worse and worse. It is becoming just a place for everybody to run off at the mouth instead of looking into the problem and trying to figure it out.

And just to clarify. The one that I twisted was with a 17 blade stock stall converter. I am now running a cummins/v10 converter, and have been for the last 40 passes with the sonnax and it looks like new.

And lastly ISB, please explain at what point I was "backpedaling"? I must have missed that part.

The prevention for all these busted input shafts has to be as simple as properly installing a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal depleneration.

I really have no other idea at this point. LOL

And who are you? Man, you must make a lot of money on these shafts to get so affended at people questioning the quality of them. Or did you invent them? So since your such a genius, why dont you explain how these shafts twisted under such light use? Why dont you give us some usefull info instead of running your mouth, i mean your fingers, so fast. You havent made one valid point yet other than wasting the peoples time that are viewing this thread.

People like you are making this place worse and worse. It is becoming just a place for everybody to run off at the mouth instead of looking into the problem and trying to figure it out.

And just to clarify. The one that I twisted was with a 17 blade stock stall converter. I am now running a cummins/v10 converter, and have been for the last 40 passes with the sonnax and it looks like new.

And lastly ISB, please explain at what point I was "backpedaling"? I must have missed that part.
Are you that thick headed of an Idiot. I don't give a Chit about Opie's Shafts! My posts aren't about shafts Dummy. You ran your mouth about a Trans Builder. You were asked to provide your facts, after running your mouth. People like you are Scumbag's and aren't needed in the Diesel Industry. Your a "CF SD" at heart, that's where you need to stay!

Last edited:
Are you that thick headed of an Idiot. I don't give a Chit about Opie's Shafts! My posts aren't about shafts Dummy. You ran your mouth about a Trans Builder. You were asked to provide your facts, after running your mouth. People like you are Scumbag's and aren't needed in the Diesel Industry. Your a "CF SD" at heart, that's where you need to stay!

I invite you to run your mouth like that in person, but Im not gonna agrue with you on a forum where you can hide behind your comp. Obviously you have no input(no pun intended:hehe:) of any value to this thread, so why dont you go play somewhere else. You've probably never even seen an input shaft in person. Like I said before, there has already been a LONG thread about the tranny that had this shaft in it. *bdh*If you wanna know so badly, then use that option on the top right hand corner called "Search". But I will not mention that shops name, or any other in any threads pertaining to transmissions or any of their counterparts because it always ends up as a big long dead end road with no positive outcome, much like what you are trying to do to this thread. I consider the guys at that shop, along with all the diesel shops my friends and I will not take part in any product bashing.

My only intention of posting on this thread was to let it be known there was more than one of these shafts that twisted under pretty light use. Maybe there was a flaw in the manufacturing process on this batch. I dont know. Thats why im here, to help find out.

I invite you to run your mouth like that in person, I accept your invitation 41st street it is. but Im not gonna agrue with you on a forum where you can hide behind your comp. Obviously you have no input(no pun intended:hehe:) of any value to this thread, so why dont you go play somewhere else.You have no percieved or real value. Other than to sell "Goerend's" product! You've probably never even seen an input shaft in person. You're right I've never been to Griffin whatsoever LOL Like I said before, there has already been a LONG thread about the tranny that had this shaft in it. *bdh*If you wanna know so badly, then use that option on the top right hand corner called "Search". But I will not mention that shops name, or any other in any threads pertaining to transmissions or any of their counterparts because it always ends up as a big long dead end road with no positive outcome, much like what you are trying to do to this thread. I consider the guys at that shop, to be my friends After numerous implications that's "Highly Doubtful".and I will not take part in any product bashing. You already have!

My only intention of posting on this thread was to let it be known there was more than one of these shafts that twisted under pretty light use. Maybe there was a flaw in the manufacturing process on this batch. I dont know. Thats why im here, Your here for your steele race buddy! to help find out.

Did they teach comprehension when you were in school.

my point should have been easy enough to see... It wasn't a bad batch of Opie's shafts that caused the twist. It was a screwed up tranny.. I know that Opie stands behind his product, if it was in fact the product that failed. I've seen people ***** at him before the same way BigDodge is. Only to find out that months later, and much trial and more broken parts, that Opie was right. He even called the part that was causing it all. BigDodge won't ever find that out, because he's already switched up his poor choice of a tranny setup for something that works.

Your right, ISb, Rich is a friend of mine. Thats no secret. And when I heard he had twisted a shaft on the first and only pass with that tranny, I was very curious as to why these shafts are so easily twisted. I know what I have put input shafts through and I accept the fact that they are gonna break sooner or later, especially when you do many hard launches. But I have yet to break one of any other brand and I broke an Opie in 5 light passes. So I think its safe to say that something wasnt right with it. Maybe it was something to do with the tranny build, i dont know. The same guy built Rich's tranny that built the one I broke, but I know he has the ability to build a good tranny and Im sure he put everything into building Rich's right.

And yes, I sell Goerend products. I have sold all the other big name brands and I have had customers get burned by everyone of them except two, DTT and Goerend. And that is why I sell Goerend. If you break it and its under warranty, you get a new one, its that simple. Instead of the runaround and them telling you that you didnt use for its intended purpose. Somehow I knew this thread would get turned into this. They always do.

So ISB, if you have some kind of personal problem with me, feel free to stop by and we'll get it straightened out. I dont even know who you are, and really could care less. I can see by some of your previous posts that you dont have very much positive info to offer.

This is for the mods, just out of curiousity, why was Acorn's post deleted off of this thread?
I would think if a post was gonna get deleted, ISB's posts would have been at the top of that list.

Well maybe I am way off......but that truck has had tranny problems from day 1 so maybe it has nothing to do with the part being a failure.......

the trans has had everything from HTS, Suncoast, ATS and Garmon's parts that I know of..... so maybe it has nothing to do with the trans but maybe something else!

I'm not bashing anyone or saying anyone is wrong, just sayin it might be soemthing else or operator error.....Ya'll keep saying "it broke so easliy"...Is this truck not making boocoo's of power??? and still running a "standard size" billet shaft??? How the fuk do you expect it to hold triple turbo's and a "small" shot...LOL, that's just idiotic....buy the big shaft or go to a lenco or bruno setup and be done with it.....that is... if you can row the gears...

And I know.....Come back with some smartazz remark Rich, but I am just tryin to help.....

Just sayin.....

Back