10 Hole Injectors

Jethro6213

Could you tell me more about the 10 hole injector nozzles. I am going to be getting some soon and was wondering about them. Thanks

We have sold alot of them and have had great success.

Good power, EGT's are not much more than stock. Would definitely suggest getting them.

I was not impressed with them. They smoked alot, ran very hot, and power was a disappointment. We ran them in the pulling truck for awhile thinking they would be awesome, but lost power with them. We then put them in a daily driver/tow vehicle which had been running stage 5 jammers. There was a slight power increase, but a major jump in EGTs and smoke. They were a pain to DD and terrible to tow with. I have had fun trying many many different injectors, but I will not miss those injectors.

I believe Jethro is talking about the Common Rail 10 holes and you are talking about the 24V.

One of my buddies put on a set of II 10 hole injectors on his CR and lost 100hp compared to his Kax 90hp injectors. when we first got them they ran like crap. We sent in his injectors to be balanced and make the nozzles bigger and still was down 100hp.

I will also add that these 10 hole injectors I know of were custom, so there is no hp rating that I know of with them.

Yeah. I really haven't seen much for numbers out of the 10 hole injector design. At least in a 3rd gen.

The way I have seen it, unless you change the shape of your piston bowl to work with the 10 hole design... Your kinda fighting an uphill battle.

Here is a little info from a Cummins article I found.

"We put in almost 18,000 cpu hours generating a piston bowl and injector combination to go out and run in a test cell," said Tim Britt, technical project leader for the Tier 3 B series engine. "We're very proud to say that at the end of this process, in when we cut our first piston bowl, it's at the same piston bowl we're going into production with. That's a huge achievement and a huge savings in time and expense."

Sounds to me like they did their homework... Could be why the 5 hole injectors work so well.

You need to know the whole story before you go on a forum and say the sky is falling. The facts are this. These injectors that are in question have cracked and broken injector bodies AND 3 NEW nozzles also broken. This condition results from too much fuel pressure. In fact I have been on the phone today with others that have the same broken injector issues. The only common thread in these failures has been that a downloader with virtually the same NEWLY released program that was on the vehicles with the broken injectors. I am not and will not bring this information to these forums. It can and should be handled properly by the owners and the VENDOR of the downloader. More research should also be performed to verify the tunning that was involved with these trucks was not the problem. We were not involved with any tunning of this truck or any of the rest that I talked to today. Most of the customers that called did not have our injectors or nozzles. They were just wanting some help in diagnosing there problems which we are glad to help with. As far as our 10 hole nozzles not being a good fit for the piston bowl, I will say this, Cummins has done a fantastic job in making a engine that makes good clean hp in a specific range. 10 hole injectors give you more fuel delivery with the extra holes and still keeps the hole size small so that smaller fuel droplets may have more surface area to allow cleaner and more complete combustion. Schieds Diesel also sells 10 hole injectors that is suppose to come from Cummins. I have not talked to Dan Schied about this injector but I have heard all about it from customers that we share in common. Our largest 10 hole injectors or nozzles are in some of the biggest hp trucks in the country. They are of a MUCH bigger variety. WE did not break the injectors in the truck that was brought up here in this thread. We are trying to help with this problem. Thanks

SmokinCummins You have a 24 valve ISB with a VP44. If you were looking for a DD and a good towing injector, 10 hole 24 valve injectors are not a good fit. Those 10 hole injectors work very well if you have more air than you seem to have. They are made for more hp for say drag racing. Fuel is only one part of tunning your truck. With sufficient cool air you would have liked those injectors. If you want to tow, you would want a injector a little smaller. Our 11 hole injectors have been a HUGE hit with Sled Pullers this summer. In fact our 11 hole injectors are in a truck in second place in points for the season. Maybe first after the next pull. We'll see.

I have a set of the 10hole in my 24valve and they are some bad Mothers. However i would highly not reccomend using them for towing. I had to make a haul and pick up my 94 and filled up 4 times. I got less than 7m/g. They just blow a haze of smoke the whole way. But for sled pulling and drag racing I love the. Pull really hard and i can almost clear them up with my little old 64/14.

I still have my old jammer 4's and plan on puting them back in during off season. But i am also going to upgrade to the 11 hole for next year. I can even imagine what they will be like.

ok, Topfueler correct me if I'm wrong.

If the only thing you change is a set of nozzles and leave the programer and box settings the same then the only thing that can change the performance is the size/design of the nozzles.

now if you do this and the results are lower boost, lower egt's, and higher rail pressure then to me that means the nozzles are smaller. Less fuel means less power. I know a better spray pattern with help with the burn and make more power with a givin amount of fuel, but these nozzles cut too much fuel to make more power even with the better spray pattern these 10 holes may make.

I was there first hand and watched the gauges befor and after the nozzles.

Cracked and Broken injectors will not make hp. The fuel does not go were it is suppose to. The fact that this truck ran as well as it did with these injectors is amazing. Fact: The sample nozzle that was sent to us as the nozzle that was making hp flowed 29lpm, the 10 hole nozzles that we sent you were 32lpm. The sample nozzle was an extruded 3 flow nozzle. Nothing exotic at all. We have sold MANY of those nozzles and have done that for years. We still sell them todate. I guess you don't understand what has happend here. But you have stuck your nose into a situation that is none of your bussiness.

Last edited:
TopFueler said:
SmokinCummins You have a 24 valve ISB with a VP44. If you were looking for a DD and a good towing injector, 10 hole 24 valve injectors are not a good fit. Those 10 hole injectors work very well if you have more air than you seem to have. They are made for more hp for say drag racing. Fuel is only one part of tunning your truck. With sufficient cool air you would have liked those injectors. If you want to tow, you would want a injector a little smaller. Our 11 hole injectors have been a HUGE hit with Sled Pullers this summer. In fact our 11 hole injectors are in a truck in second place in points for the season. Maybe first after the next pull. We'll see.

Read the first part of my post - they were purchased for a sled truck. We lost power and smoke when we switched from 200hp sticks to the 10 hole injectors. The truck was constantly 30 foot behind the leaders. We took them out and got a big set from one of your competitors. Smoke was up, and it felt tons stronger on the street. At the track we went from 30 foot back to first place. It has been my experiance the 10 hole is a poor choice for maximum performance in a sled truck. You said yourself they are not a street injector, fair enough, but I decided to try them in a daily driver to see how they drive compared to "normal" 150 horse sticks. I was able to clean them up to a slight haze with it on the floor, so air is not a problem. The bad smoke was at cruising speed/ and light load.

Yes you are right. The leaders probably had 11 hole injectors with lift. Those are our largest injectors for a 24 valve ISB and they compete very well. The 10 hole injectors are a in between injector which can be DD to some degree. They would not be a great injector for towing however.

Brady could you divulge who the sledpullers are that are running those injectors, or at least where they are located? I am always shopping for more HP for my puller.

TopFueler said:
Cracked and Broken injectors will not make hp. The fuel does not go were it is suppose to. The fact that this truck ran as well as it did with these injectors is amazing. Fact: The sample nozzle that was sent to us as the nozzle that was making hp flowed 29lpm, the 10 hole nozzles that we sent you were 32lpm. The sample nozzle was an extruded 3 flow nozzle. Nothing exotic at all. We have sold MANY of those nozzles and have done that for years. We still sell them todate. I guess you don't understand what has happend here. But you have stuck your nose into a situation that is none of your bussiness.

This was befor we sent you back the injectors. You never said anything about them being cracked or broken the first time we sent them to you. So this means one of two things.

One-they were not cracked and they were just performing lower than the Kax 90 sticks.

Two-you found they were cracked, didn't tell us and sent tem back and we ran bad injectors.

zstroken said:
Brady could you divulge who the sledpullers are that are running those injectors, or at least where they are located? I am always shopping for more HP for my puller.

We use a set in our P-Pumped 24 valve and they work awesome. In our Common Rail puller we also use a special set of Industrial Injectors and haven't found any that put down more power.

Back