12v build to start soon!

Nice work on that piping, the sectional stuff makes me think of a 2stroke racing chamber, lol.

THE:

Custom bent .093 lines:
IMG_0524.jpg

Hamilton 188/220 cam:
IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

Reman head with 400 miles on it. O Ringed. 5 angle valve job. Fully ported and polished by the man himself, Joe Kolodziej. Flowing 200 cfm. Hamilton 165# springs are in as well:
IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

oh yes….

I want some more of your opinions on the break in….please, because I keep going back and forth.

I'm, honestly, kinda sketched out about firing up the new motor and jumping it right up to 2000 rpm with NO coolant for 20 minutes.

What does this really do? Do the "benefits" of doing this, heavily outweigh the "risk"????

Does it just seat the rings right away. The motors gota be hitting like 400 degrees or sompin like that…..Is there no break in blow-by after this?

I'm looking to have the truck back together in a month or so, and I'm planning on pulling it in July and August. No too many miles will be put on in the time between the build and the pulls. Is the NO coolant/water method the best for this?

PLEASE help me make up my mind. (One thing that is making me doubt my original decision of doing it with no coolant is that my builder (who has built quite a few pulling trucks that were decent competitors….) said he hasn't ever done that on a new build and wasn't totally confident in doing it..

Thanks guys for the help

I dont think you want to do it for 20 minutes. 5-10 minutes probably is what i have gathered from talking to people and reading on here. The most i heard of was 20 minutes. I plan on doing it for 5-10 min this time. Last time i did the coolant way and took about 1500-2000 hard miles to clear up the blow-by.

Sounds to me like a race break-in? something Id consider on a motor that I intend to tear down once a season anyhow.

Thanks guys. I don't plan on tearing it down every year, so I hope this is still a legit break in formula. I may just end up doing 10 minutes. Its tough to believe that you just take her right up to 2000 rpm right off the bat. …though I guess there will be a couple previous heat cycles before hand for torquing the head studs/motor tests……etc.

Runner intake has arrived!!!
IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

Joe is a BEAST!!!!!

The rollin snowball is getting bigger by the minute

We are getting close my friends

kinda seems like my thread died, but I'll ask anyway….what timing do you think I should run? I've got 145 spray pattern injectors and Mahle 286210 standard bore pistons, fyi. I was planning on setting it at 26-28*'s to start with. (at least in the summer….I'll be driving it on the street on occasion, so maybe in the winter I'll bump it down to 18 or so…)

Also, I'm highly considering getting my pistons coated. Is this just a general coating? or something special? If its "special," what are we talking about?

Been thinking about a billet timing cover, and one piece valve cover too. Not important items and save my money?

Motors out btw. Tore her down today. I hope my little 3800# valair DD and bigger input shaft will be able to keep up….

Last edited:
Build threads go up and down. My guess is people get tired of saying/hearing "wow that looks good". Mine does the same.

PS: Joe does good work. Enjoyable to talk to as well. Glad you're happy with the head. Be sure to send people his way.

Last edited:
We're following, just not saying what has already been said: The build looks great, keep it up :rockwoot:

You'll probably have to play with the timing numbers a little to get it running best but 26* sounds like a good starting point.

The billet timing covers don't add anything significant except looks and access to an adjustable timing gear. Most timing covers require you to machine own the pulley on the damper and run a 4-pully belt to fit. The covers like Scheids that have a bearing for the cam nose do add a benefit in that area. I think CPP makes a timing cover that works with the stock damper belt.

A one piece valve cover is sweet an helps the rockers from deflecting, but is it worth it?

Paulb had a good thread about piston coatings: Coated Piston - CompD The Swain Tech coating he used seemed to hold up really well.

I guess it does get repetitive saying good luck with the build all the time….I'm glad you guys are still following.

Joe really does good work and good business. I've recommended him to about 10 of my diesel buddies and a couple who asked me about heads and the runner. I'll be coming back to him again in the future too, for sure.

Jake, backordered parts sucks. I had to wait three months to get the gauges, and I'm still waiting on my steed speed and ati damper. Don't know why these things are so scarce that nobody has em.

Derek, thanks a lot for all the good info. I don't think I'm gona do a timing cover, but I am going to pick up a rocker support from Weston (plate that sits on top of the valve covers and ties em all together for added rigidity). I will look into the coating info. I really plan on doing that for longevity and durability.

I'm thinking I'll start with the timing at 26*'s and the plate at full forward to begin with…..then go from there

Thanks guys! Stick with me. Its just starting to get interesting!!

Weston's rocker support is a nice piece, simple and effective. Hard to argue with that combination.

Have you read all the talk about the installed height of Hamilton springs? That might be something to check on before final assembly.

Good luck! We're looking forward to seeing this come together :Cheer:

Joe told me the springs would be fine, but I will double check before its all said and done. Think a little machining of the covers is all that is needed if the height is off? Would that be enough? I actually just picked up that rocker support from Weston two minutes ago. It should do the trick. I think I'm gona end up sending my pistons out to swain tech and get the top and skirt coatings done (maybe a dumb question because I'm not sure where they "shave the pistons" to balance them, but should I do the coating before or after the balancing??). $300 for all six aint bad. Gona get the rockers machined for the arps, pistons balanced, rods balanced and polished, and crank balanced at DLK here soon once the motors apart.

Back