1927 ford w/ Cummins. pic HEAVY

turbominivan

ive creeped here a bit and its cool to see other peoples random diesel Frankensteins. i thought id share mine with some specs and pictures.... because everyone likes pictures. its a constant work in progress like any build.

-the body is a 1927 ford coupe chopped 7.5" with suicide doors
-the frame is 2"x3"x1/4" steel, obviously custom built
-the front end is a 4" drop axle set up in a "suicide" suspension design.
-the original rear end was a mid 80s Jag IRS w/ 2.88 gears. that lasted 2 summers before torque eventually tore its outer fulcrums to pieces.
-the current rear end is a spooled 3.25 ford 9" on air bags with triangulated 4 link
-it has 11" GM disc brakes on all 4 corners
-originally had 32" A/T rear tires but now has 37"x13.5" toyos
-it has a 9 gallon fuel tank

-engine is a 94 12 valve P-pump cummins
7x.14 injectors
no fuel plate
modded AFC
4k governor springs
racked barrels
Mack rack plug
25* or 27* timing... i forget
milled, ported and polished head
ARP head studs
valve springs
non-gated HX-40 and HT3B turbo combo
alcohol injection
secondary 255 lift pump
and im probably missing some things

-trany is a 47RH
full transgo shift kit/built valve body (didn't go full manual)
billet servo and accumulator
heavy band strut
filled with hyd. fluid
tightened up line pressure
completely stock converter strangely still holding strong

^ much thanks and credit owed to Brett, Tate and Mike for parts, tips, and help on much of the drive line upgrades and suspension engineering.

the car weighs 3100lbs last time i checked. might be +/- with the new rear end.

other than having huge rear tires bolted to a spooled rear end and manual steering, being loud, and being stinky, it drives around town nice.... or at least better than it looks.
it takes a bit to light the turbos but when it does, its TERRIFYING!!!!
to the point that it has never been pushed past 1/2 throttle for more than a spit second a time or two, yet still has made 94psi of boost or so (i try not to look down and check). if i get on it too hard, too fast, it tries to lift the front driver side wheel. TERRIFYING for the street!!
otherwise its lots of fun and gets lots of looks.

100_0190.jpg

100_0304.jpg

100_0140-1.jpg

100_0128-1.jpg

100_0219.jpg

100_0130-2.jpg

file-130.jpg

_G3H7937_2.jpg

file-132.jpg

file-84.jpg

file-112.jpg

file-108.jpg

file-111.jpg

file-103.jpg

file-128.jpg

file-129.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

^these numbers were from 2012 with i believe the only mods being 4K gov springs, valve springs, and 7x.10 injectors, completely stock trany, dynod to 3rd gear.
so it should be well over those numbers now, although it hasn’t been dyno’d since.... not that im brave enough to use most of it anyways.

I keep seeing pics of it around. Too damn cool!

Sent from my flashscan v2

Yeah it is probably better in this section than the alternative diesel section.

This is one of the most terrifyingly awesome vehicles I have ever ridden in / been involved with. Including Torrey's 9sec SS truck. Torrey himself was pretty white faced when he got out after his one and only ride.

This car easily pulls away on a hiway roll from my buddies civic that trapped 130mph in the 1/4. It is a true hiway monster.

It is also like riding in a fishbowl as you can't even fill up with fuel without having to stop and answer a 100 questions.

The best part is most guys have as much tied up in their built transmissions as Brandon has in the entire build of this car. Glad to see him finally sign up and show it off a bit.

Heck yeah. I'm happy to see who owns the thing finally! In a world of who can put the gaudiest wheels on their stanced out color matched tow mirror wagon, this is just too cool

Sent from my flashscan v2

It is also like riding in a fishbowl as you can't even fill up with fuel without having to stop and answer a 100 questions.

How often does that happen with that 9 gallon tank?? :lolly:

Sweet 'rod!!

its not too bad. i never drive it too far..... but i do need to keep an eye on it as i dont have a fuel gauge.... and ive stranded myself twice before. hahaha.

Hey, you ever know a Brian Pettypeace? I heard you were into the turbo omni thing before.

ya, hes a friend of mine.
i had my day in the sun with turbo caravans and omnis.
had a fast 2.5 van for awhile with an HX-35 on it then swapped it all into a gutted omni.
not sure the power it ever made but it did mid 12s in the 1/4. i blew that motor up and did another with more balls, but then the track closed down and i sold it. i like to assume it would have done high 11s.... but thats just bench racing theory. i ran 32psi boost in that little gas motor constantly.

005-1.jpg

080.jpg

100_0052-3.jpg

heres how i killed the first built motor. oops

100_0110.jpg

Last edited:
I used to work with him at Carmacks. Dude saved my ass when i was so broke ass starting out my apprenticeship. ran that crappy car of his for two years. next you see him tell him Murphy say hello.

Sick car man, love the green.

With any luck we may get this thing back on a dyno on the 24th. If nothing else we will have the same civic on the dyno again, and do some highway pulls against it.

Back