1957 Dodge Power Wagon , 4-Linked on Bags, Cummins

Plenty of room on drivers side. Passenger side as almost as much room as a 2nd gen Dodge.

Using an aftermarket DPS commonrail manifold and a .75" spacer.

Bags are commercial Firestone 3,200lb each.

Intercooler will be a modified Volvo air to air from a class 8 truck.

Also (I find it quite funny, since I shoehorned compounds into an OBS Ford) there is plenty of room for a big set of compounds. Not going down that road right now.

Last edited:
Interested to hear how those firestone bags ride. I used some airlift Dominator 2600s and not super impressed right now.

I'm running bags in my truck that are rated the same as his, but are a bit taller. Night and day difference from a leaf sprung suspension in the rear. The front rides about the same. I'm guessing his will be a bit stiffer with shorter bag, but still should be quite soft.

The problem I have is with the rear bucking. But I think that that is just a shock valving issue. From what I understand, since airbags by nature have a steeper spring rate curve; you need shocks with stiffer than normal rebound valving and lighter than normal compression valving.

Looking forward to seeing more progress on this Nor'Easter! Sorry for side tracking your thread. I think you should try to fit some compounds in there. :rockwoot:

Large blow off canisters are the way to smooth the spike in spring rate on an airbag.

You want the blow off volume to be much larger than the bag volume...so there is less change in pressure as the bag cycle through its travel.

You want the blow off volume to be much larger than the bag volume...so there is less change in pressure as the bag cycle through its travel.

That makes perfect sense! Kind of like how you remove oil from an air shock to allow more air volume and bring down the spring rate ramp. Thanks for the tip. When I finalize my plumbing I will add some tanks inline on both rear bags.

SO...this is the theory.

Lets say the bag is 1 cft extended.... 1/4 cft compressed on the bumpstop. If you have 20 psi at right height...you would have 80 psi at compressed.

Add a 2 cft can....so now the total system is 3 cft at ride and 2.25 cft compressed.
20 psi at ride height....you would have 26 psi at compressed.

Make sure you use as big of line as you can to connect the can...1/2 or bigger and put a ball valve in series so you can tune. By decreasing the flow orifice....you can increase compression damping.

Is your engine in centre or bit offset to passanger side?

Yes it is. I believe it's only like 3/4" off center to the passenger side though. I guess it would measure out about 1-1/2" difference total by measuring distance from crank to driver - distance from crank to passenger.

Got these in yesterday. Went to install tonight and bushings are 25 thou undersized. Pretty fckn pissed about that...

IMG_2960_zpsdtnkkhta.jpg

They are turned steel. Dealer was apologetic to say the least, and is having king send me a replacement set. Someone installed 12mm bushings instead of the spec'd 1/2".

Nice build, where are you in Maine, I'm just over the boarder in NH. would love to see it. please let me know what you think of the king shocks, I'm looking to up grade my fox's to king's. glad to hear there fixing the prob, suxs being put behind with those problems' , I know. I've been waiting for months on back ordered shocks,,

Back