1st time dragging...hopefully

dennhop

So, I'm planning right now, on Tuesday, to go to ORP in Indianapolis, for the open drag night, just for fun, to see what I can do. My truck's not really set up for drag racing, but I'm just kinda curious, and it's only 15 bucks to get in. I've read the 101 post, and I've talked to a couple of people who have dragged before. I figured I'd post up what I'm planning on doing, and see if there's any more input out there, tricks, or a better way to do it...

I'll be running a Con OFE single disc, 315/75/15 KM2s (I know, not exactly drag friendly, but it's what I've got right now), TST Comp, Edge Comp, Scheid 150's, and a 64/71/14.

My plan is to stage, and wait till the light turns green and launch in second gear, 4 hi, without building boost prior, since I can't afford to fry my clutch. Planning on just trying to get off the clutch into gear as soon as possible, without dumping the clutch, and going from there. From my understanding, stay out of the water box, it's not going to do me any good, and I'm obviously not going to be doing any burnouts, since that's not gonna do me any good either!

I'm thinking about trying the first run with the TST on 6, and the Edge on 3x5, and then experimenting a bit if I get another chance to run, of turning the TST up to 8, and turning the Edge off, depending on whether or not it's going to give me any issues with timing shudder. I did have one question though, after reading the NHRA manual, (an older one), it stated that fire extinguishers must be hard mounted to the vehicle, not mounted with a flip off latch, which is how mine is...do i need to take it out of the truck then, or is that only a certain class restriction?

Any advice you guys could give would be greatly appreciated, thanks!:thankyou2:

depending on how your track's pits and staging lanes are set up, you may have dirt a lot of dirt on the staging lanes (mine does depending on which direction the wind is blowing). if that is the case you could do a lil bit of a spin (not a burn out) just to clean the tires off and you dont even need to go through the waterbox

Ok, so on the third yellow, I'll start coming off the clutch, and if a perfect reaction time is .500, then I should be good by the time the light turns green. I don't know how dirty the track is, but I'll definitely keep that in mind. When you talk about a spin, not a burnout, what are you meaning? Just try to break the tires loose? If I'm going to be launching in 4wd, is that really going to make a difference?

:tree:

If you Stage very shallow and just BARELY turn on the second bulb, You Can leave right when the second yellow starts to go out!!

But being safe, Just leave as SOON as you see the third bulb start to light up...If you see green, your late!

i ran my 2wd last nite and the first run i went thru the water box and did a 3rd gear burn out. spun about two truck lenghts then hooked up and passed the dmax i was racing. the second time i went around the water box and did a short burn out. I spun half way down the track and was 3s slower lol. Of course i just had all terrains on the back. Its fairly complicated to hold boost and inch up to stage but wasnt all that bad. cut a .538 light the first time

If it is just for fun (as in no eliminations) you will be better off focusing on getting a good launch and not worrying about reaction time. Just make sure you're at the boost and/or RPM you want to launch at.

So I just got back from racing, accomplished both my goals...stay under 20 seconds, and leave the same way I got there...driving! lol. I'm trying to upload the vids now, so as soon as I do, I'll post them up...crappy vids, buddy didn't use the zoom function at all, so it didn't come out real good, but it is what it is. fastest time tonight was 16.650@95.09 mph. I'm happy, especially since i wasn't doing any boosted launches, can't afford to fry my clutch! I probably could have shaved maybe another second off if I could have boosted, and may or may not have shaved a second off by running smaller tires, but over all, I'm happy, I've done it, and I didn't break anything in the process!

That is some awesome MPH for your ET. If it was an auto (or you could shift really fast), you would have the trap speed for a mid 13.

ET (Elapsed Time) is the time from when your tire unblocks the second stage beam until your tire breaks the 1/4 mile beam at the end of the track.

All I know is after making 9 passes last year at Thunder in Muncie in the just for fun class(running 2wd and no boosted launch), I learned one thing.....

Drag racing isn't for me

Best ET I got was 16.479 at 89.05 with a .731 RT, 3rd to 4th ground on me everytime, 3850 pressure plate was a PITA trying to get it to shift quick

I will say it was addicting though trying to beat the best time I had to date...BUT I'll stick to playing in the dirt

But good job on meeting all your goals, time to set some new ones and hit the track again

As far as running with a manual, I've heard that dd's are a lot slower to shift than singles, so what would the best balance be between getting a boosted launch without having to slow down the shifts? Not that I'm a fast shifter anyways...lol

Ok, so on the third yellow, I'll start coming off the clutch, and if a perfect reaction time is .500, then I should be good by the time the light turns green. I don't know how dirty the track is, but I'll definitely keep that in mind. When you talk about a spin, not a burnout, what are you meaning? Just try to break the tires loose? If I'm going to be launching in 4wd, is that really going to make a difference?
yes if you break them loose real quick it gets the crap off the tires.. now if your in 4wd you wont really have to worry about this unless your truck can spin all 4s really easily

Back