2.5 s400 turbine sizing

90dodge

Always Broke
I'm going to set my truck up to pull in a workstock class in kansas next year that they just changed the rules to allow T4 chargers. I've got an s400 with an 83mm turbine wheel that was a little scuffed from last time I went out.

I'm waiting on the exact rules to come out, but I've got either a 63.5 wheel and cover to use or a 75mm cover that I was going to modify for a clipped wheel. If i can go that direction, should I go up in turbine size as well? It's got a 1.1 t4 on it now. I expect operating range to be in the 3500-4200 range.

There was a 2.5 charger for sale here not to long ago built by Weston. S400 frame with a 92 turbine wheel. Ran real strong.

I don't really want to buy another charger if I can modify this one instead.

I've got an auto, so once I get it spooled, snuffing it shouldn't be a big problem since I can unlock the tc and downshift if needed. Atleast that is the plan.

The compressor wheel is what will provide/limit the power potential, the turbine wheel and housing will depict at what RPM it will create peak power, a larger turbine wheel will not always make more power.

The compressor wheel is what will provide/limit the power potential, the turbine wheel and housing will depict at what RPM it will create peak power, a larger turbine wheel will not always make more power.
I understand that, I'm just wanting to make sure I'm not going to choke it out at that rpm level with the 83/74.

A 640ci Super Farm will make 1300hp+ with that size turbine at the same operating range, I wouldn't be concerned about it not being sufficient for a 5.9L engine.

Okay that's all I need to know. In case they allow it and since it will be easier for me, where can I pick up a 2.5 bushing for the 75 cover?

I doubt many places will sell a bushing without fitting it to the cover.

You may consider just buying a wheel and cover from somewhere that is set up for our rules here in missouri so that way If you wanna venture our way, you have that as a option. The bushing the 75mm down is not gonna be legal for our rules.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm not for sure how their rules will be made, that is why I kind of left this question open ended. Since it's in Kansas, I could see them copying mo's rules to suit, but I also heard they allowed open driveline. So I dont understand why they would allow open driveline with just a true 2.5 wheel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not for sure how their rules will be made, that is why I kind of left this question open ended. Since it's in Kansas, I could see them copying mo's rules to suit, but I also heard they allowed open driveline. So I dont understand why they would allow open driveline with just a true 2.5 wheel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I talked to one of the guys with flint hills today and he said there will be 3 diesel classes for the 2015 season.
"stock", "hot street (2.5)", and "open diesel"
He said he would have the rules posted in the next couple days on Facebook.

And as far as open driveline, that's definitely not in 2.5! Missouri State went 2.6 open driveline and Southern Missouri was already open driveline last year

Last edited:
I guess I'll just wait for the rules. I figured he would have them posted by now. Maybe who I heard from understood wrong and the open driveline is for open diesel.

MSTPA has allowed open driveline in the 2.6 since 2012. At that time it was just a combined class.

MSTPA has allowed open driveline in the 2.6 since 2012. At that time it was just a combined class.

I guess I should clarify, I believe by my understanding that it isn't 3.0/2.6 combo anymore, just 2.6

Back