2.6 charger

Anyone care to elaborate on who makes the GT50 if Garret's not offering it? I'm trying to compare 2.6 turbos and would just like info. Smokem mentioned the GTX4508R wasnt comparable because of it only having an 87wheel? What's the GT50 offering? The GTX4202R has an 84 wheel and is saying capable of 1200hp?
The popular 2.6 chargers seem to be the HX60 with a nice price tag! Lol

Garrett does offer it lol you just have to talk to the right people. The GT50 turbine is 99/90 iirc. I've seen a cheap hx60 in the swap meet lol

Last edited:
but isn't a precision based off a garrett to start with? Just precsions wheel and cover on a garrett turbine housing and center section?

I see I am a little late to the party, but I just came across this thread and I need to clear a few things up.

Precision Turbo was a Garrett distributor for many years dating back to the late 80's, early 90's and only dealt with gas applications. PTE has grown over the course of the last 25 years into a full on manufacturer. We started designing CEA compressor wheels and upgrading Garrett CHRA's with them back in 2007. We had our own castings for compressor covers and turbine housings at this time, but we made sure that they were Garrett based in terms of sizing and flange connections. This seemed to work for us quite well for us when we first came into the diesel market back in 2009 with our NTPA 3 x 3 Super Farm charger. The first Super Farm was in fact a GT42R CHRA with our wheel, cover, and turbine housing. I remember when guys were running those on their 3.0 trucks 4 years ago and they did well. As customers kept wanting more, we needed and wanted to design a complete turbo from turbine wheel to compressor wheel for competition purposes. The parts that we were using were good parts, but they were designed for OE purposes and the competitors were pushing them well past the limits specified for the OE. We started offering dual ceramic ball bearings back in 2010 and CEA turbine wheels in 2011.

All of our 2.6 and 3.0 truck pulling chargers are built with components that are designed by and exclusive to Precision Turbo, including the turbine wheels. We use the same CEA technology in our turbine wheel designs as we do in our compressor wheels. The compressor wheel is only 1/2 of the turbo and we realized there was a lot being left on the table when it came to current OE turbine wheels.

Sorry for the long post, but I feel it is important for the diesel community to be informed of who we are and what we are doing to push the limits for the competitors. Stop by and see me at the NFMS if you want to see the chargers up close.

Justin Norris
Precision Turbo & Engine

So why is the real reason you guys cant keep a turbo with a mwe groove from blowing up or the tips breaking off. Maybe something better than its caused by dirt and you should run a filter. So start informing.

So why is the real reason you guys cant keep a turbo with a mwe groove from blowing up or the tips breaking off. Maybe something better than its caused by dirt and you should run a filter. So start informing.

That's the easiest way to cover there @ss. I guess we pull in sand storms now

from phone

I am not sure what you are talking about. We have hundreds of chargers with map groves out there with tons of passes on them. Last I checked pulling was in the dirt so dirt and small rocks can be sucked into the turbo. We do our best to offer a warranty with our chargers, which is rare in any type of motorsport. Foreign object damage and overspeed are usually not covered. If you feel like we have somehow not been fair with you regarding a warranty inspection, please give me a call tomorrow at the office and we can hash it out. 219-996-7832 ask for Justin. I will also be attending several diesel events this year, so please stop by our booth and we can chat.

Outside of the bickering I too am in the market for an s475 to be run 2.6. I'm having trouble justifying between a t4 .90, .1, or a .110 housing. 4.88 gears with duals 33's, dual fuelers, 150% injectors. Not sure on tuning yet without the efi release for me. May end up swapping ECMs or going Udc. Ssr may even have to do so not totally certain on rpms yet.. Any help fellas?

I am not sure what you are talking about. We have hundreds of chargers with map groves out there with tons of passes on them. Last I checked pulling was in the dirt so dirt and small rocks can be sucked into the turbo. We do our best to offer a warranty with our chargers, which is rare in any type of motorsport. Foreign object damage and overspeed are usually not covered. If you feel like we have somehow not been fair with you regarding a warranty inspection, please give me a call tomorrow at the office and we can hash it out. 219-996-7832 ask for Justin. I will also be attending several diesel events this year, so please stop by our booth and we can chat.

What precision says is caused by dirt from being on track happens on the dyno aswell. I dont like the fact because precision gives kickbacks to certian individuals so a turbo gets forced on pullers. When another shop builds a turbo that makes more power, thats reliable, and cheaper. Superfarm is a good example of this.

i honestly dont know why anyone wouldn't run an airfilter...i'll sacrifice some hp for my turbo..

I think maybe its the fact that a filter would get sucked closed

Being a Precision Distributor we have a very good knowledge and experience in many applications from Daily driver trucks to Pulling tractors.

I have heard of issues with lack of lubrication to the turbo, being a reason, but have seen them take care of other stuff.

Most of that is coming from an over speed condition and guys not monitoring shaft speed boost to drive ratio etc. All to often people think "well that guy is running that size charger so that's what I need" when we have scene in a few occasions a much smaller charger make more power per a certain setup configuration.

Very interesting accusation.

That's the easiest way to cover there @ss. I guess we pull in sand storms now

from phone

Knowing a majority of the tracks in the Iowa Northern Illinois and Wisconsin tracks, I can tell you that you get 30 minutes west of our shop and the track prep and track quality diminish very quickly. I myself am not a fan of most tracks Outlaw pulls on. Just my opinion.

What precision says is caused by dirt from being on track happens on the dyno aswell. I dont like the fact because precision gives kickbacks to certian individuals so a turbo gets forced on pullers. When another shop builds a turbo that makes more power, thats reliable, and cheaper. Superfarm is a good example of this.

Kickbacks???? It is very intriguing to where you are receiving your information. If you are claiming that there is a better smooth bore charger out there I would love to see it. Especially if it is less expensive. The only thing I have scene out preform a precision on dyno and track at the top level of competition at all levels is a Columbus, a couple of the latest from Haisley, and a few from Hart. Yes we sell Precision dominatley over all others listed but dyno testing and real world results is what we strive upon to our customers.
You can take two 2.6 Duramaxs and one will like the HX 60 based and the other will want the Precision. But all these can be easily out preformed with a simple cam swap, fuel delivery, etc. Different setups require different turbos. Myself prefer precision due to the fact if there is an issue they are more open eyed to working with the consumer rather then saying performance application no warranty.

Its not an accusation thats what precision is saying the problem is yet it happens on the dyno so its not dirt. maybe im not thinking right but a smoothbore 3inch turbo shouldnt make more power than a precision 3inch turbo with a slotted cover.

Outside of the bickering I too am in the market for an s475 to be run 2.6. I'm having trouble justifying between a t4 .90, .1, or a .110 housing. 4.88 gears with duals 33's, dual fuelers, 150% injectors. Not sure on tuning yet without the efi release for me. May end up swapping ECMs or going Udc. Ssr may even have to do so not totally certain on rpms yet.. Any help fellas?

Your housing size is going to mainly on your transmission and few other things

Its not an accusation thats what precision is saying the problem is yet it happens on the dyno so its not dirt. maybe im not thinking right but a smoothbore 3inch turbo shouldnt make more power than a precision 3inch turbo with a slotted cover.

it can with the right setup. all the groove is for is recirculating air/surging. get a compressor wheel and turbine/housing to match with the right drive and no surging it will make more power. just my thoughts. as for the dyno deal, sounds like they need to stand behind it.

I once seen a fleace performance video they were on the dyno showing how much street hp their build was making and their was no air filter on it I asked why and the reply was because its a restriction and they dident want to suck it in. So I asked how they can advertise that as street Hp if you cant use it with a filter all of my posts were deleted.lol I just cant see running without a filter its like running a motor without a oil filter.

Back